Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
He was 18, if you can go fight in a war then I think you can buy a gun, but they shouldv’ve known about his mental state. That is what the background checks are for. Also the worst part is that there have been already 7 school shootings since the new year. Plus if you count all the other incidents where gunfire was involved that number goes up to 18!! Students across America are very angry with how our leaders sit on their hands over this issue and there is going to be mass protests on March 24th, or so I’ve heard. Also the day after this shooting there was supposed to be another shooting in Everett, WA, an hour away from me, but thankfully his grandma read his journal, found out, and reported it to the police.
That's one aspect of the US that never made any sense to me. If you can go to war, buy a gun, vote at the age of 18, then why do you have to wait until you're 21 to legally purchase booze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 03:24 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's one aspect of the US that never made any sense to me. If you can go to war, buy a gun, vote at the age of 18, then why do you have to wait until you're 21 to legally purchase booze?
I would guess that "booze" encourages more "sexual activities" among the youngsters, and with all the craziness of "women's issues" that I see in the US, that might be a viable explanation.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
He was 18, if you can go fight in a war then I think you can buy a gun, but they shouldv’ve known about his mental state. That is what the background checks are for. Also the worst part is that there have been already 7 school shootings since the new year. Plus if you count all the other incidents where gunfire was involved that number goes up to 18!! Students across America are very angry with how our leaders sit on their hands over this issue and there is going to be mass protests on March 24th, or so I’ve heard. Also the day after this shooting there was supposed to be another shooting in Everett, WA, an hour away from me, but thankfully his grandma read his journal, found out, and reported it to the police.
Well the Texas church shooter also purchased the very gun he used to kill all those people despite a domestic abuse case against him. It seems the US is like the third world in violence and no other Western country can match the level of violence. I don't live in the US and I am astonished on the amount of gun violence there and in my country there is generally more stringent gun controls.

Yet there was also a mass shooting in a church in Russia recently too.
(MOSCOW) — A gunman opened fire with a hunting rifle on churchgoers leaving a service in Russia’s Dagestan region, killing five people and wounding four others, then was shot and killed by police, authorities say.

The shootings took place Sunday evening in Kizlyar, a town of about 50,000 people on the border with Chechnya.5 Dead in Russia Church Shooting | Time

I am aware in that region of Russia is supposed to be a no go area for tourists, due to the level of risk of violence.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well the Texas church shooter also purchased the very gun he used to kill all those people despite a domestic abuse case against him. It seems the US is like the third world in violence and no other Western country can match the level of violence. I don't live in the US and I am astonished on the amount of gun violence there and in my country there is generally more stringent gun controls.

(MOSCOW) — A gunman opened fire with a hunting rifle on churchgoers leaving a service in Russia’s Dagestan region, killing five people and wounding four others, then was shot and killed by police, authorities say.

The shootings took place Sunday evening in Kizlyar, a town of about 50,000 people on the border with Chechnya.5 Dead in Russia Church Shooting | Time

I am aware in that region of Russia is supposed to be a no go area for tourists, due to the level of risk of violence.
The last I've heard, ISIS took responsibility for that one.

"Dagestan is a predominantly Muslim region between Chechnya and the Caspian Sea. Following two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, an Islamist insurgency spread to Dagestan."

Does it ring a bell?

Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:

The Texas church shooter bought weapons due to failure of the USAF to register his domestic violence charge, so it was human error that led to his ability to legally purchase firearms.

As for third world violence; I do not know the violence levels of third world countries, however, most of the US is very safe, most violence is concentrated in very small, ghetto areas and are associated with gangs and drugs and easy to avoid, or the violence is domestic related violence.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The last I've heard, ISIS took responsibility for that one.

"Dagestan is a predominantly Muslim region between Chechnya and the Caspian Sea. Following two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, an Islamist insurgency spread to Dagestan."

Does it ring a bell?
I heard there were a large number of Chechnyans that joined ISIS in Syria/Iraq and many of them have returned home. Russia suffering the similar problems as the French and Belgiums are going through with returning ISIS from the Middle East.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I would guess that "booze" encourages more "sexual activities" among the youngsters, and with all the craziness of "women's issues" that I see in the US, that might be a viable explanation.
That's a pretty poor argument. If young adults can drive, drink... or even smoke pot now that's it's becoming legal they are less likely to be drawn to guns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the age of consent is 16 in the US. If you can "get laid" at that age, then why would drinking be such a problem?

Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's a pretty poor argument. If young adults can drive, drink... or even smoke pot now that's it's becoming legal they are less likely to be drawn to guns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the age of consent is 16 in the US. If you can "get laid" at that age, then why would drinking be such a problem?
Drive at 16, consent at 18, drink and pot at 21. The current debate is to raise the gun age to at least 21 as well, I can't see a good reason why not.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The Texas church shooter bought weapons due to failure of the USAF to register his domestic violence charge, so it was human error that led to his ability to legally purchase firearms.

As for third world violence; I do not know the violence levels of third world countries, however, most of the US is very safe, most violence is concentrated in very small, ghetto areas and are associated with gangs and drugs and easy to avoid, or the violence is domestic related violence.
gun related homicides rate are 25% higher than other Western nations. The US also represents around 5% of the world population but represent 31% of the worlds mass shooters. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/03/a...ics/index.html

Old 02-19-2018, 05:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
gun related homicides rate are 25% higher than other Western nations. The US also represents around 5% of the world population but represent 31% of the worlds mass shooters. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/03/a...ics/index.html
Just told you though; the US is generally pretty damn safe. Most of the violence is isolated to a few, inner city areas, and are related to gang and drug violence as are its victims. Outside of those areas, it is rare to encounter violence, especially gun violence. Not giving the US an excuse, but saying the entire US is like some inner city high crime area, is false. I also do not believe we should have knee jerk, nation wide reactions due to these groups abusing rights of gun ownership, that is like saying we should place more restrictions on voting because some people illegally voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe