Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,861,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So it’s ok for US to invade Cuba to prevent instillation of Russian base, but not ok when Russia does it to Ukraine to prevent NATO base in Crimea?
If Ukraine was taking on offensive nuclear weapons from anyone, a Russian invasion of Ukraine would be certainly justified. This is the hypothetical he was offering.

I'm unaware of a planned "NATO" base in Crimea. Where did they request to do that and which state was planning on it? Or are you just pushing more conspiracy theories which can't be proven true or false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If Ukraine was taking on offensive nuclear weapons from anyone, a Russian invasion of Ukraine would be certainly justified. This is the hypothetical he was offering.

I'm unaware of a planned "NATO" base in Crimea. Where did they request to do that and which state was planning on it? Or are you just pushing more conspiracy theories which can't be proven true or false.
It was not planned officially, but the writing was on the wall, Ukraine wants to leave Russia and join NATO, and then once that happens all bets are off, so Russia was going to make sure that Crimea falling in the hands of NATO was impossible, so they “annexed” it.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 PM
DKM

There is no proof that Ukraine wanted to join NATO but perhaps Putin knew they would eventually after he launched his war against Ukraine (soon after Crimea was taken over). I agree that the only way to ensure Crimea would not fall under NATO control would be to annex it. That would be the same for pretty much anywhere.

I'm not sure what your point is? Eastern Europe, unlike most Crimeans, has and had no desire to be ruled or directed by the Kremlin. NATO is one way to ensure that. None of those countries that joined NATO after 1989 have American nukes, so this doesn't have any connection with the silly notion that we somehow fear anything Russia would do in Cuba.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
There is no proof that Ukraine wanted to join NATO but perhaps Putin knew they would eventually after he launched his war against Ukraine (soon after Crimea was taken over). I agree that the only way to ensure Crimea would not fall under NATO control would be to annex it. That would be the same for pretty much anywhere.

I'm not sure what your point is? Eastern Europe, unlike most Crimeans, has and had no desire to be ruled or directed by the Kremlin. NATO is one way to ensure that. None of those countries that joined NATO after 1989 have American nukes, so this doesn't have any connection with the silly notion that we somehow fear anything Russia would do in Cuba.
We don't need proof. Anyone that even studies geopolitics in a rudamentary manner sees the pattern. A very small bunch of nutters want to join NATO to protect their personal power and expand it. The MIC wants to expand. It's all about control, money and power.

A little something about the bear and the dragon. The next 20 years will see changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLeL6wLY0Ng&app=desktop

Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:

My point is if you are saying it would be justified for the US to invade Cuba, then the same applies to Ukraine, which my assumption is that you don't think it was justified for Russia to take Crimea, or least in the way they did it.

In any case I do find my self agreeing with many of your points, or at the very least I don't think you are a raving lunatic like some other posters believe you to be.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:34 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
We don't need proof. Anyone that even studies geopolitics in a rudamentary manner sees the pattern. A very small bunch of nutters want to join NATO to protect their personal power and expand it. The MIC wants to expand. It's all about control, money and power.

A majority of Ukrainians do want to join NATO now, but that was very much not the case in 2014. Hmm, I wonder why that is? Ironic that Putin created this desire in Ukraine to join NATO when he took over Crimea using the justification that this would someday become true.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:45 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Russian nukes in Cuba? We would never allow it so it cannot and therefore will not happen. A hypothetical scenario is fun to imagine but it won't happen so what's the point? We would at least invade Cuba and put an end to its regime if this was even attempted.

I did not talk about nukes in Cuba but a military base capable of hosting in the future offensive weapons...thanks for proving my point that Russia is fully justified in wanting to prevent NATO expansion..as a matter of fact if I were Putin it would be my absolute red line....no more NATO eastward expansion, otherwise we bite hard...actually any western alliance base (regardless of NATO membership of the host country) shoudl be a red line.

Quote:
If you think our opposition to supporting a murderous dictator in Venezuela is born of fear, you vastly misunderstand the point.
It is born of fear, absolutely!! Fear of losing control and having Russian military assets close to home.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Huh?? Your point is??
NATO bases may not currently host nukes but they can very easily do in the future....you do not need to join NATO to "prevent being run by the Kremlin" (what a moronic statement anyway).

A buffer zone would have been the best solution....no Western or Russian bases in eastern Europe.

Expanding NATO in countries with a lot of unresolved issues or with unstable governments is very dangerous.....what could have happened if that buffoon Saakashvili started his little adventure to recapture South Ossetia and the country was part of NATO and that moron invoked Article 5?? Cannot even think about it...

Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
There is no proof that Ukraine wanted to join NATO but perhaps Putin knew they would eventually after he launched his war against Ukraine (soon after Crimea was taken over).
What??? 2014 was a western orchestrated coup to pull Ukraine into the western orbit...Putin showed a lot of restrain not doing anything when western military advisors started to pour everywhere in Ukraine...

Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
NATO bases may not currently host nukes but they can very easily do in the future....you do not need to join NATO to "prevent being run by the Kremlin" (what a moronic statement anyway).
It would be a moronic statement had I made it. English is clearly not your strong suit, as you are countering an argument I did not make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
A buffer zone would have been the best solution....no Western or Russian bases in eastern Europe.
And the western bases in Eastern Europe are where? Nowhere to be found! There are rotations of forces for training only. There is no requirement to deny nations that wish to be protected from Russian invasions especially after they showed they will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe