Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 07:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yeah, but at this point, you might as well just use December 25th. It's the same thing either ways. January 7th only makes sense if you still use the Julian calendar. Greeks have already moved on.
Greeks use a modified Julian Calendar. Dec 25th is Christmas, but still observe pascha like the traditional Julian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 07:50 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
MWR....
Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering comparably to what Christmas is in the West.
As far as tradition goes, EASTER is far more important in Eastern Orthodox.
So all these attempts to change the century-old traditions NOW ( and the reasons behind them) are all too obvious.
That's true, but I've run into a lot of Orthodox people who don't seem to understand the dates. Some actually believe that January 7th is the actual date as opposed to the 25th according to whichever calendar one uses.

And yes, Easter is a far more important religious holiday.

Either ways, Merry Christmas.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
MWR....
Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering comparably to what Christmas is in the West.
As far as tradition goes, EASTER is far more important in Eastern Orthodox.
So all these attempts to change the century-old traditions NOW ( and the reasons behind them) are all too obvious.
did you forget a few words? I would says they are not comparable. Being raised in the US it has always been my understanding that Christmas is a big deal in the West, and more specifically in the US, definitely more so than Easter.

The soviets definitely did a huge favor for the churches in Russia by moving the secular gift giving to New Years, allowing Christmas to be a strictly religious holiday as it should be. In the past not all Christians were fond of Christmas, for instance the puritans banned Christmas in England and New England in the 1600s, but that didn't go well with the general public and they rioted in Canterbury which lead to a rebellion and a civil war and is one of the reasons why in the west Christmas is more focused on the fun parts rather than Jesus, as that is what they really wanted, an excuse to drink, eat and not go to work.

Last edited by grega94; 12-27-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 12-27-2019, 08:24 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
did you forget a few words? I would says they are not comparable. Being raised in the US it has always been my understanding that Christmas is a big deal in the West, and more specifically in the US, definitely more so than Easter.

The soviets definitely did a huge favor for the churches in Russia by moving the secular gift giving to New Years, allowing Christmas to be a strictly religious holiday as it should be. In the past not all Christians were fond of Christmas, for instance the puritans banned Christmas in England and New England in the 1600s, but that didn't go well with the general public and they rioted in Canterbury which lead to a rebellion and a civil war and is one of the reasons why in the west Christmas is more focused on the fun parts rather than Jesus, as that is what they really wanted, an excuse to drink, eat and not go to work.

What "few words"?
Where did I go wrong?

(Or where am I in disagreement with what you are saying here?)

Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's true, but I've run into a lot of Orthodox people who don't seem to understand the dates. Some actually believe that January 7th is the actual date as opposed to the 25th according to whichever calendar one uses.

And yes, Easter is a far more important religious holiday.

Either ways, Merry Christmas.

Same to you ( and everyone else here)))

Old 12-27-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
What "few words"?
Where did I go wrong?

(Or where am I in disagreement with what you are saying here?)
maybe I misunderstood but you said "Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering comparably to what Christmas is in the West."

if you are trying to say they are not comparable then you probably meant to say
"Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering not comparable to what Christmas is in the West."

we all make typos, I probably do it more so than anybody else, as I'm constantly editing my posts.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
maybe I misunderstood but you said "Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering comparably to what Christmas is in the West."

if you are trying to say they are not comparable then you probably meant to say
"Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering not comparable to what Christmas is in the West."

we all make typos, I probably do it more so than anybody else, as I'm constantly editing my posts.

Let me re-phrase it for you:

Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering IF YOU COMPARE it to what Christmas is in the West.

I used "comparably to" in this sense.

Hope this works)))

Old 12-27-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Let me re-phrase it for you:

Christmas in Russia/Ukraine is a small religious gathering IF YOU COMPARE it to what Christmas is in the West.

I used "comparably to" in this sense.

Hope this works)))
now that you explained the sentence makes sense, thanks for clearing it up, my thinking can be a bit ingrained at times.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
now that you explained the sentence makes sense, thanks for clearing it up, my thinking can be a bit ingrained at times.

What time is it now in your neck of woods?
Are you in need of another cup of tea/coffee?
I know I am by now)))

Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
The SU-57 had a control system failure, it's official.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe