Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,923,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is exactly what I am talking about. When someone justly criticizes someone else, they are often called malcreados, it is a defense mechanism to stifle criticism. And the result shows in society and the economy, it is a mediocre mess because people don't call a spade a spade. So everyone thinks things are not as bad as they really are.

Okay I understand what you're saying now.

Some people do take public criticism very personal even if it is warranted(especially if it is direct), on the other hand in some instances some people doing the criticizing are indeed malcreados(sometimes due to jealousy or they just have an ax to grind, or just might have a terrible personality). Most people just learn not to criticize people in group settings because sooner or later you may need something from that person. In Portuguese culture if you value the relationship or you think you may need that person for something down the line it is best to speak your mind one on one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM
F18

542 posts, read 530,721 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I am talking about. When someone justly criticizes someone else, they are often called malcreados, it is a defense mechanism to stifle criticism. And the result shows in society and the economy, it is a mediocre mess because people don't call a spade a spade. So everyone thinks things are not as bad as they really are.
I agree, people are not direct and go to large efforts to not upset the other person.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
No, it is not about public criticism, I think it is just another symptom of the excessive formalism of Portuguese society. Some people think the Mediterranean must be jolly and relaxed, but in reality they are much more formal and stiff than Nordic countries, caught up in silly rituals and traditions. The upper class is the worst, Portugal has a very class-oriented, snobbish society.
That is also why there is quite a rift between the older and younger generations, the younger ones grew up with the Internet, they have an international mindset and no longer adhere to many of those conventions of the old. And often when the generations clash, the young are called malcreados by people who don't like to change, progress, let alone admit that the young are right.

Last edited by Neuling; 09-20-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 04:01 PM
AFP

Quote:
No, it is not about public criticism, I think it is just another symptom of the excessive formalism of Portuguese society. Some people think the Mediterranean must be jolly and relaxed, but in reality they are much more formal and stiff than Nordic countries, caught up in silly rituals and traditions. The upper class is the worst, Portugal has a very class-oriented, snobbish society.
That is also why there is quite a rift between the older and younger generations, the younger ones grew up with the Internet, they have an international mindset and no longer adhere to many of those conventions of the old. And often when the generations clash, the young are called malcreados by people who don't like to change, progress, let alone admit that the young are right.
I'm not sure which traditions you are referring to some I like others I don't. I do particularly dislike anything related to snobbery or to showing off status.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Bravo Irene...well said. I spent many years in Italy 'back in the day' and resettled back in the US. The entire Muslim non-assimilation situation is now out of hand, much as the Hispanic situation is out of hand in the US. One must assimilate, beginning with language. Thank you.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:16 PM
AFP

Post #65 is a total TROLL Post.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:15 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,602,385 times
Maybe Portugal had the winning ticket.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:26 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,476,355 times
Probably because Portugal is like the absolute poorest country in Europe west of Austria.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Probably because Portugal is like the absolute poorest country in Europe west of Austria.

Not so much the poverty as such, but the lack of jobs.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 AM

140 posts, read 152,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You are not wrong. How developed and rich country is definitely matters. But had Portugal colonized Maghreb instead of France for example their muslim population would be huge compared to what it is now.

If you look at Europe there are 5 options for muslim minorities.

1. Indigenous-Russia for example
2. Forced - some balkan people were forced to convert under Ottomans, or it was just better to convert for mamy reasons
3. Colonies
4. Guest worker programms-Germany is famous for this, but also many other western and northern European countries had similar programmes
5. Refugees

Now if you look at Portugal 1st and 2nd option are not their case.

4th and 5th also not so much. They were the ones exporting people where labour was needed. Not the other way around. In case of refugees, they were dictatorship and later poor country for western standards, so not desirable country for asylum seekers.

Colonies- most people came to Portugal from former colonies and from former eastern Europe/because in 90s and early 2000s Portuguese economy was growing and there was demand for labour.

Immigrants from former colonies represent majority of immigrants in Portugal. Only Guinea-Bissau has larger muslim share-half of country is muslim and Mozambique has also sizeable muslim minority-maybe 1/5th are muslims there.

So most muslims in Portugal are immigrants from those countries and their descendants.Obviously now there are also some refugees and migrants from other muslim regions like Pakistanis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe