Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Well you posted pics of people you thought looked foreign but to me the look like average typical people a bit on the lighter side but nothing unusual.

It isn't too unusual for people to be descended from nobility or have some ancestors from other countries.
Actually, they do look different from the typical Portuguese people that I see in the pedestrian zone.

I do think it is unusual to have noble or foreign ancestors. The overwhelming majority of Portuguese people don't. Nor do the overwhelming majority of Germans, French or Italians for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually, they do look different from the typical Portuguese people that I see in the pedestrian zone.

I do think it is unusual to have noble or foreign ancestors. The overwhelming majority of Portuguese people don't. Nor do the overwhelming majority of Germans, French or Italians for instance.
Okay not typical but not so unusual really.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Quote:
Luckily not, my Indian friend for instance is proud of her black hair and her culture as a whole. Indians don't dye their hair blonde.
Nor do the Chinese.
Which already covers almost 1/2 of mankind
Well interestingly enough, I see plenty of Asians since the medical in the US is now dominated by Asians, especially in the west coast. I have a nurse colleague that's Korean-American dyes her hair in blonde. I think it's a K-pop thing. Yesterday a Chinese nurse friend of mine was introducing her blonde highlights on Instagram. Japanese pop entertainers are a lot into hair dyes and color contacts.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Well interestingly enough, I see plenty of Asians since the medical in the US is now dominated by Asians, especially in the west coast. I have a nurse colleague that's Korean-American dyes her hair in blonde. I think it's a K-pop thing. Yesterday a Chinese nurse friend of mine was introducing her blonde highlights on Instagram. Japanese pop entertainers are a lot into hair dyes and color contacts.
In none of those countries is blond hair appreciated, it is only a couple of youngsters that dye their hair, school kids basically. Those societies are rather old-fashioned and as soon as people are old enough to work, they have to adhere to societal standards.
US-Asians are a different story, those poor people are confronted with blonde people all the time and probably want to prove they are not the boring indistinguishable Asian ants.

A half-Japanese friend of mine keeps sending me lots of photos of her trips home to Japan, I have never seen any blonde Japanese person on those photos.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
I guess yu are not Catholic....the Virgen of Fatima, it's a very important shrine in Portugal. Provenance of names in Europe comes mainly from fashion. Roman - and Arabia and Judea was Rome, Germanic during the Middle Ages, Renaissance, etc, etc.
I am Catholic. I was pointing out the irony of a Catholic shrine having a name of a daughter of the founder of Islam.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
Quote:
Not in most parts of the country. As I said, go past school yards in Lisbon, Setúbal etc. and you will see that the vast majority of people are black-haired, hardly any blonde kids.

And you can see it on blonde people's heads as well because often you can see black hair having grown back before the next dying.
Depends what you consider blonde ... I consider blond any light brown hair.

For example we consider this blonde:

Not sure if what you think is blonde is my interpretation of blonde.

Of course when a lot of these kids grow ... the hair darkens a lot.

My brother was a lot blonder than this and yet right now at 24 his hair is dark brown.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Not in most parts of the country. As I said, go past school yards in Lisbon, Setúbal etc. and you will see that the vast majority of people are black-haired, hardly any blonde kids.

And you can see it on blonde people's heads as well because often you can see black hair having grown back before the next dying.
Dude you're preaching to the priest here. I am portuguese and live, or better lived in Portugal until 2 years ago...

Old 12-29-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
I remember that Portuguese had a great admiration for everything English, which sounded very strange to Spanish. Those foreign names could be invented..some cases here..as it sounded more snobbish.
They are not invented.

The names he mentioned like Weinstein, Lencastre, among others are due to Nobility.

Those names are from a higher class status, usually what you call, blue blood or nobility/royal blood.

England and Portugal is one of the oldest if not oldest indeed, alliance treaty in the word going back to 1200s I believe.

Between royalty and nobility, in order to enforce the ties between both countries, it was common for noble men/women to marry their counterparts from England and vice versa.

However, just a little curious fact, Lancaster is not an English name it actually derives from Portugal and is because of the english queen Philipa Lencastre (portuguese princess) that married the english king.

But yeah the fact of the names, of some being or looking foreign/english is due to that.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:49 PM

That girl does not look Portuguese. I can't rule out that she is, but she does not look typical of Portuguese children.
And no, I don't really see that hair color with children here, either, even if you refer to that as blonde, which it is not in my view. Not to mention the eyes.

Yes, people's hair tends gets darker with age, which makes the difference between children's and adults' hair color in this country even more absurd.
I was blond as a child myself, now my hair is dark, with lots of silver and white, that is

Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The Azores as such are not typical of Portugal, anyway

Remembered another actor, Pedro Granger, there are also several British names in his family history:
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_...r#Vida_pessoal
That name is not English. It's French and I actually know him. And he comes from old french nobility (not him per se, but his family ancestors).

His family still owns a very large "Solar" (Palace/Lord building)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe