Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Because they had a smart immigration policy.
Do you even know what their immigration policy is? I sure can't find it on google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 02:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,908,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Do you even know what their immigration policy is? I sure can't find it on google.
I can't find a specific policy but right now the non EU countries that they are currently favoring appear to be Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Canada and the USA.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:43 PM

140 posts, read 151,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I doubt they even had one. Portugal was nation of emmigrants for centuries, until they began closing the gap on western european living standards when their economy was growing in 90s and early 2000s. Majority of immigrants that came to Portugal in that decade and half were from their former colonies and portuguese speaking countries. What is odd is number of Ukrainians there. Not sure if they had some intergovernmental treaty or what is the reason for so many Ukrainians (I know they worked mostly in construction).

Basically 90% of their immigrants is from Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Sao Tome, Moldova and already mentioned Ukraine/not counting EU of course.

Except Ukraine - All other immigrants (from above mentioned countries)speak Portuguese as native or 2nd language in their countries and Moldova at least speaks language from the same language group.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:07 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
I doubt they even had one. Portugal was nation of emmigrants for centuries, until they began closing the gap on western european living standards when their economy was growing in 90s and early 2000s. Majority of immigrants that came to Portugal in that decade and half were from their former colonies and portuguese speaking countries. What is odd is number of Ukrainians there. Not sure if they had some intergovernmental treaty or what is the reason for so many Ukrainians (I know they worked mostly in construction).

Basically 90% of their immigrants is from Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau and Ukraine/not counting EU of course
I've known that Portugal never attracted immigrants in large numbers until relatively recently. Portugal throughout the 20th century was poor compared to the rest of Western Europe. This on top of having the longest lasting fascist dictatorship in Western Europe. Only when the economy started growing in large levels and the government becoming more democratic did Portugal started receiving immigrants in large numbers. Most of those immigrants have come from the former Portuguese colonies. These are mainly Catholic nations. As for why Ukrainians, well, Ukrainians are going to Ireland are well.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,908,534 times
[quote=Mibazn;46681967]I doubt they even had one. Portugal was nation of emmigrants for centuries, until they began closing the gap on western european living standards when their economy was growing in 90s and early 2000s. Majority of immigrants that came to Portugal in that decade and half were from their former colonies and portuguese speaking countries. What is odd is number of Ukrainians there. Not sure if they had some intergovernmental treaty or what is the reason for so many Ukrainians (I know they worked mostly in construction).

Basically 90% of their immigrants is from Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Sao Tome, Moldova and already mentioned Ukraine/not counting EU of course.

Except Ukraine - All other immigrants (from above mentioned countries)speak Portuguese as native or 2nd language in their countries and Moldova at least speaks language from the same language group.[/QUOTE]

The Ukrainians unlike the other immigrants can pretty much speak very close to a native Portuguese accent within a few years.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:49 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,331,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
No, it's only the white countries that are becoming "one big mix". Middle East is Arab, Africa is black, China is Chinese, India is Indian etc. I was just in Frankfurt recently. What a mess. The population seems mostly Turkish/Arab/Asian... barely any Germans. Sad.

You were not in Frankfurt.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,623,300 times
Because Portugal doesn't give social aids to anyone as Spain does, or Netherlands, or France, or the UK or Germany. Well, also because is the weakest European economy from Western Europe.

That's the answer buddies.

I've read before that in Spain were 1 million. Not true at all, that's the number of moroccans. According to the Spanish statistics, muslims in Spain make up to 1.7-1.8 million. Not only moroccans are muslim. Spain has also hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants from north africa and the subsaharian countries which are muslim. Like Chad, Mali or northern Nigeria. + more than 200.000 algerians, nigerians, etc

Quote:
No, it's only the white countries that are becoming "one big mix". Middle East is Arab, Africa is black, China is Chinese, India is Indian etc. I was just in Frankfurt recently. What a mess. The population seems mostly Turkish/Arab/Asian... barely any Germans. Sad.
huh! Come to Rotterdam and see that and even more. And +1, totally true in what you say. It's only the white countries that are becoming a big mix.

In Rotterdam foreigners from outside Europe are 42%. Almost 1/2! There are lots of hoods which are just of middle easterns and northern africans plus turks. Up to 3/4 of businesses are from foreigners.

And Germany hasn't got only 4 million muslims. Germany has about 6 million turks, and Turkey is a country with 98% of muslims. Now count also the moroccans, algerians and black african muslims. Plus some thousands from Indonesia or Malaysia. Germany I think in reality has close to 7 million muslims, at least if we count all the turks and their descendants (plus turk germans, which are more "western" but they still have the same religion). That's about 9% of the German population. I mean, I've been in Germany and I've seen the same that you say. Lots of burkas and niqabs there. Not joking.

In The Netherlands the niqabs are very hard to see, lots of dutch moroccan women have totally normal clothes and some just have the scarf (hiyab) on the hair. But in Germany?? Completely full of niqabs.

Last edited by ase42dv; 01-02-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 PM

140 posts, read 151,941 times
Quote:
You are not wrong. But we must look at why it is happening. What are those factors involved.

Countries you meant under white- I asume you meant Europe and English speaking predominanly white countries outside Europe/US, Canada, Australia, NZ.

All those countries are rich, democratic and have low birth rates/compared to rest of the world. So there is opportunity for economic migrants,, refugees, great enviroment to have a family there (creating 2nd, 3rd generation immigrants and so on.) Also in case of US, Canada, Australia those countries are based on immigration since day 1. They preffered european immigrants for long time and it only changed in last few decades that they opened up to non european immigrants/also european immigration wave stopped, because conditions in Europe are totally different last few decades than how they were century ago.

In case of European countries- they had WW2 and shortage of manual workers so guest worker treaties were signed and decolonization happened. Refugees are mostly new phenomen in such larger numbers in Europe.

Now if we think about those reasons it is logical that what you called white countries are those one with massive immgration. There is also large scale immigration around the world but mostly inside the region. Like Haitians in Dominican Republic, Latinos in Chile, Africans in richer african countries and so on.

So those reasons for large scale emmigration to non white countries are either few or non existent/when we speak about moving from 1 continent to another. I can think of Japan that is rich, democratic, low birthrates for decades, but culturally unique so they are not open to immigration/not yet. There are not many other developed, rich and democratic countries outside those mentioned western states.

I asume you don t consider Middle East as white, so there are GCC countries where in all excluding Saudi Arabia immigrants are actually majority of population/also visibly different people mostly South Asians/ but it is totally different to immigration what we know in western countries. Those are all economic migrants, almost like slaves in many cases who can be deported very quickly and their chance for citizenship is very low to non existent. So I wouldn t classify this as ,, mixing,,

Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 PM

749 posts, read 857,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Because Portugal doesn't give social aids to anyone as Spain does, or Netherlands, or France, or the UK or Germany. Well, also because is the weakest European economy from Western Europe.
That's false, Portugal does have social welfare programs. Especially for refugees, every country has a budget allocated for them money. Do you know why? Because ghe UE pays an allowance to countries for each refugee they receive.

Last edited by seixal; 01-02-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 05:46 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,623,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
That's false, Portugal does have social welfare programs. Especially for refugees, every country has a budget allocated for them money. Do you know why? Because ghe UE pays an allowance to countries for each refugee they receive.
We are not talking about refugees, that's something recent from 2014.

Portugal does not have social welfare programs in big scale like the countries I mentioned before, if not, explain me while France, UK or Spain are among the 10th countries with the biggest amount of immigrants and in Portugal is that low. We talking about what happened in those last 20 years, not the refugees program by the EU.

Portugal has just 3.7% of immigration, most coming from African ex colonies of Portugal or from the East of Europe.
Even the Czech Republic has more immigrants in percent.

Germany has 20% of immigrants
France has 10% + another 12% born from foreign parents with french citizenship
UK has 13%
Spain has 11% of immigrants (just immigrants, without counting the ones which acquired the Spanish nationality like have did many South Americans in Spain, and thousands of africans & eastern europeans). The estimation is close to 19-20% of the population, as millions of foreign born citizens have acquired the Spanish nationality and they automatically count as Spanish for the statistics.
Belgium has 25% counting the ones which are of foreign background and it's descendants (in Spain would be at least.
Italy has 8%
Netherlands has 21%

That's the reason buddy... Not because of the recent asylum seekers which has nothing to do with this. Portugal doesn't give social welfare, just to asylum seekers, as you've said, finnanced by the EU.

Portugal gives unemployment benefits for all the people which have worked legally in Portugal (including immigrants) but that's what gives any other EU country, even Bulgaria or Romania. Think that most of northern africans or south americans in Spain and overall Europe were at one time illegals, because the Spanish laws (and also the ones from Netherlands or Germany) doesn't apply for a long stay visa if you don't have some thousands of € in a bank account. Those people travelled with "visitor" visas and travel visas and they stayed. But we don't act like Australia or the US, which deport illegals.

BTW, as we are talking about this. This is the repartition of asylum seekers for 2016.

Last edited by ase42dv; 01-03-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe