Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I remember once spending a weekend in the Alps, near the Italian / french Border and close to a road that goes above the mountain. This is the road to the Galibier mountain, above 2500 m I believe.

It's not far from the Frejus tunnel.

It was late october, so at this point of the year the upper side of the road that led to the Italian border was closed because it was covered in snow, and only the beginning of the road (where we were staying) was open.

We saw a car coming with a dutch plate, and asked us in English how to get to the other side of that mountain range because they had seen a sign that the road was closed and had simply followed the directions provided by the GPS.

We just answered that they had to turn back, drive down to Grenoble and take another road starting from the lower part of the valley where they wanted to go, which would take approximately 3 hours.

Of course, GPS and Dutch people are not necessarily aware that mountain roads may be closed from october to may or june.
In practice I live on the other side of the Alps, near the pass of Mont Cenis and the pass of Mongenèvre. Also on our roads I've seen really funny scenes even with people who were just from Turin. A lot of them nearly stop at every hairpin turn, and they brake a lot when the road descends (and I won't talk about the rainy or snowy days). My dad always laugh a lot when he sees them.

Anyway, for us instead is usually quite difficult to get used to the way of driving in the cities (we are not used to all those traffic, and neither to all those traffic lights that oblige you to stop every two minutes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Actually I'm one of those who slows down in the mountain. I easily get sick with all this turns.

I don't drive super slow either, but I get uncomfortable when people insist in driving at 70 km/h on steep roads. Sometimes it is just not safe driving at a regular speed in the mountain.

I have no problem with driving in the cities / highways. I used to live downtown, so...

Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Actually I'm one of those who slows down in the mountain. I easily get sick with all this turns.

I don't drive super slow either, but I get uncomfortable when people insist in driving at 70 km/h on steep roads. Sometimes it is just not safe driving at a regular speed in the mountain.

I have no problem with driving in the cities / highways. I used to live downtown, so...
No, the point is not the speed, the point is that they brake all the time for maintaining the speed low. This can be dangerous too, because you risk to overheat your brakes. There is nothing wrong at drive slowly on the mountains, but if you want to go slower it is better to pass at a lower gear before braking.

Anyway, it is true that we often drive faster than the others on the mountains, but just because we know the road. so we know where there are difficult turns and you have to slow down, and where the road in more straightforward and so you can drive a little faster. On a new road we would drive slower too.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Well, I'd use the engine brake and drive at a lower gear I believe. But when it's pretty steep I admit I use the brakes more often than not.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
I always shift to full time 4x4 (I drive a Jeep) for more traction and shift down instead of braking to lower the speed when going down. And also shift down before bends and accelerate when coming out of the bend. That usually works pretty well.
I always loved driving in the mountains, but i know it can be risky too, being not used to those conditions. So depending on the conditions i always try to maintain a "normal" speed and if there are other cars, just go with the flow.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPF...9n2gIg&index=2

The best drivers in Europe? ^

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I LOVE Russian dashcam videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxCmlEN5n1o

Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,053 times
I was driving for a while through southwestern France last week, and I noticed everything has been improved as now apparently they use indicators more often than four years ago.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
The Swedes are the best drivers...

Stockholm to Uppsala, 68 km (42.6 mi) in under 15 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwicTKbWam4

Old 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The Swedes are the best drivers...

Stockholm to Uppsala, 68 km (42.6 mi) in under 15 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwicTKbWam4
I guess there are not speed cameras in such road, otherwise he would have been fined so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe