Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In a country where everyone has a little F1 driver in their hearts, ....
You mean it seriously? I have heard often Estonians driving or living in Finland complaining about slow and sluggish driving style of Finns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
You mean it seriously? I have heard often Estonians driving or living in Finland complaining about slow and sluggish driving style of Finns.
Yeah, you mostly see it on smaller country roads.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, you mostly see it on smaller country roads.
Here smaller country roads aren´t the worst. Well, they may attract some youngesters "to test" something on Friday night after a party and often such drivings may have some serious consequences with an help of being drunken.
The worst everyday traffic is in Tallinn and in it´s surroundings, as well the highway between the two main "big cities" Tallinn and Tartu is one of the worst ones. Men in their 20-30s with their BMWs are notorious and no nokia tyres can help here. As well the general Estonian intrinsic arrogancy and widespread chav culture do not certainly make any things better. However, the authorities believe here traffic campaignes can cure everything, even those crothchets of Ugric mindset and thus a tons of good traffic campaigns are organized here.

But yeah, a "good driver" in the local context is the driver who could survive and drive without anything bad happen no matter that all. The best ´driving school´ you will get in Tallinn surroundings and if you are daily user the Tallinn-Tartu track. As I don´t do not do it i do not own that glory to be a "best" by gloriuos Estonian standards. However, i really do not miss any Tallinn, at least pertain to traffic. Here in small towns/country the atmospere is certainly a bit more friendlier and not only in traffic.

But now back to the thread´s question- good drivers I believe are in civilized parts of Europe- Germany, Sweden, Dutch etc, whereever there. South-euro lands are perhaps a bit worse.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
"civilized parts of Europe"

I'm sure many will appreciate.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times
Quote:
But now back to the thread´s question- good drivers I believe are in civilized parts of Europe- Germany, Sweden, Dutch etc, whereever there. South-euro lands are perhaps a bit worse.
*roll on the floor*

Barbars, I tell you, we are all barbars we southerners !

Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

504 posts, read 465,540 times
Italians - know how to drive, but are rather too "spirited" for my liking.
Spanish - as above, but a bit less so
French - terrible. I swear they will wait patiently to overtake on a straight road until they find a steep hill with a blind bend.
Germans - very good. I drove from Berlin to Wroclaw recently, and they follow the rules - just like they are pedestrians, obediently waiting for the green man even when there is no traffic coming (just weird for me!).
Despite only being a two lane motorway, the autobahn was quick because PEOPLE MOVE BACK AFTER OVERTAKING! Brits PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
Dutch are pretty Germanic in their driving, except their favourite trick of tailgaiting at high speed. The have no sense of a safe distance. I explained this nervously to a Dutch friend once driving his old BX about 1 metre behind the car in front at 120kph in icy conditions. "We don't do that!" he said, oblivious.
East Europeans - well, we have plenty in the UK, ALL of whom seem to drive old Audi A4s and 8s with blacked out windows. Some seem to have caught the British spirit and calmed down, whilst others haven't. A Bulgarian decorator told me how he drives "home" every month (A8) and drives much faster in Bulgaria. "UK is not free country - you cannot bribe the police when they stop you" he laughed.

UK. Pretty safe - as our casualty figures show. Amongst the safest roads in Europe, even though they are in a TERRIBLE state (motorways with potholes - very austerity). London and the surrounding area is a lot more aggressive, and you either compete or get eaten. We tend not to drive as fast simply because there are speed cameras EVERYWHERE. They may work or may not -but unless you know for sure, best not risk it. The worst aspect here is lack of lane discipline. People hog the overtaking lanes and it drives me potty. I don't really know why I spent so much on a fast car (the clue is my username!).

The fact we drive on the correct side of the road also helps

Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM

504 posts, read 465,540 times
Quote:
. As well the general Estonian intrinsic arrogancy and widespread chav culture do not certainly make any things better.
You have CHAVS in Estonia?

And they say the UK doesn't export anything anymore.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Italians - know how to drive, but are rather too "spirited" for my liking.
Spanish - as above, but a bit less so
French - terrible. I swear they will wait patiently to overtake on a straight road until they find a steep hill with a blind bend.
Germans - very good. I drove from Berlin to Wroclaw recently, and they follow the rules - just like they are pedestrians, obediently waiting for the green man even when there is no traffic coming (just weird for me!).
Despite only being a two lane motorway, the autobahn was quick because PEOPLE MOVE BACK AFTER OVERTAKING! Brits PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
Dutch are pretty Germanic in their driving, except their favourite trick of tailgaiting at high speed. The have no sense of a safe distance. I explained this nervously to a Dutch friend once driving his old BX about 1 metre behind the car in front at 120kph in icy conditions. "We don't do that!" he said, oblivious.
East Europeans - well, we have plenty in the UK, ALL of whom seem to drive old Audi A4s and 8s with blacked out windows. Some seem to have caught the British spirit and calmed down, whilst others haven't. A Bulgarian decorator told me how he drives "home" every month (A8) and drives much faster in Bulgaria. "UK is not free country - you cannot bribe the police when they stop you" he laughed.

UK. Pretty safe - as our casualty figures show. Amongst the safest roads in Europe, even though they are in a TERRIBLE state (motorways with potholes - very austerity). London and the surrounding area is a lot more aggressive, and you either compete or get eaten. We tend not to drive as fast simply because there are speed cameras EVERYWHERE. They may work or may not -but unless you know for sure, best not risk it. The worst aspect here is lack of lane discipline. People hog the overtaking lanes and it drives me potty. I don't really know why I spent so much on a fast car (the clue is my username!).

The fact we drive on the correct side of the road also helps
You want to know something else ? One day my father drove with my mother car, been flashed for driving too fast, he didn't tell my mother but she knew it at the end because some days later she received the fine at home, with her name on the letter.

Wonderful husband.

You know the worst ? After retiring from the military my father got a job at an auto-école (how do you call that in English ?), to teach other people how to drive.

Bad driver and a liar...

No seriously, where did you go in France to see that ?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,638 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

Old 07-21-2015, 12:05 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
*roll on the floor*

Barbars, I tell you, we are all barbars we southerners !
he would not have said that some 2,000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe