Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant- inner Madrid or Paris?
Inner Madrid 13 37.14%
Paris 19 54.29%
too close to call 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 PM

431 posts, read 450,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
very true and I recognize the difference, however, the same logic will tell us it is wrong to judge a city's vibrancy based on late night life as many people tend to do.

Paris may not be as busy as Madrid at midnight or 1 am, but is a lot more vibrant between say 2-5pm when the Spaniards are, I don't know, stay at home for their siesta?

All I am saying is that, we shouldn't judge vibrancy based on what happens at night. So many people do that. The bars closes at 12 in city A instead 3 am in city B, so city B must be more FUN! maybe the people already had fun when it was not dark? I don't know why drinking or whatever events have to take place way past normal bedtime as if that's a condition for having fun.
Well, I am not sure what you think people in Paris are doing from 2-5pm. They are usually at work.

I would say the "vibrancy" during daytime hours in most major European cities is not all that different. Have you been to Madrid? It's not exactly Cleveland or some other dead downtown area.

The nightlife is different in Spanish cities. The clubs in Barcelona and Madrid are known to be better than most. But I don't go to clubs, so I don't care about that.

There are more people who just hang out outside at night in Spanish cities than in other European cities. It's not uncommon to just find quite a few people on the benches in the squares, just chilling out. Whereas in say, London, most of the people out are obnoxious drunk people roaming from one club or bar to another.

I don't agree with many in this thread. The Paris-o-philes seem to think Madrid is dull, but doesn't sound like they've been there. Whereas the Madrilines keep calling Paris a dead museum, which is not very accurate, either. Compared to how they measure up to cities in other countries, I think Madrid and Paris are more similar than they are different. However, Paris is much bigger, 2x the population and 4x in area.

Last edited by Dennis Schroeder; 07-31-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Gare du Nord is a huge station with 700,000 commuters per day (the busiest in Europe), while St Pancreas has been completely closed and rebuilt for the Eurostar.
You can't compare both railway terminals, Paris can't manage to close Gare du Nord for heavy reconstruction work unlike St Pancreas which was virtually abandoned 15 years ago.
It doesn't have to be up to the standard of post-billion dollar renovation St Pancras version 2. Just something less dilapidated and grimy than what it is right now.

It's perfectly feasible to introduce non-intrusive renovation works to bring Gare du Nord up to the standard of other major train hubs. All you need to do clean and re-paint large parts of the station and you already have a much more pleasant transit hub.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:35 PM

431 posts, read 450,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
A pretty poor excuse. It's perfectly feasible to introduce non-intrusive renovation works to bring Gare du Nord up to the standard of other major train hubs.

All you need to do is scrub away the decades' worth of stratified grime and filth throughout the station, re-paint the walls and columns, and you already have a much more pleasant transit hub.

It doesn't have to be up to the standard of post-billion dollar renovation St Pancras version 2. Just something less dilapidated and grimy than what it is right now.
New York has done that to a number of stations and within six months they just look the same as they did before.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:59 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post

It's perfectly feasible to introduce non-intrusive renovation works to bring Gare du Nord up to the standard of other major train hubs. All you need to do clean and re-paint large parts of the station and you already have a much more pleasant transit hub.
This is what Paris is currently doing at Gare du Nord and a wider renovation for 2022.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 PM

570 posts, read 605,334 times
Paris is ideal for rich old.Food overprice magnificent,fashion of first class .For these people it is an insurmentable vibrant city .-

Madrid animation for young and middle-aged has no comparison with any european city by day and night.

The wonderful invention of skewers and tapas that facilitates relationships young bar to bar snack
delicius and cheap for rich and poor

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: User's request

Old 08-02-2015, 04:19 PM

181 posts, read 232,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Did any of those Paris lovers experienced the (self-proclaimed) city of light in winter ? gloomy grey "gothic winter" with dark dressed, gloomy figures hastening their peace to flee home the cold, damp weather . Suffice it to say that the experience of jumping in a plane and landing at Barajas (Madrid) is like coming from darkness to light : suddenly one sees a bright blue sky! even if the temperature is not tropical warm, the only fact to see the sun and blue skies is heart warming and morale enhancing!
Yes, but Madrilene women dress awfully! And then suddenly it makes you regret the gray skies of Paris.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I spent a semester studying in Paris. I lived in the northern Muslim district, and actually liked the dirtier parts. But that's me...
There is no Muslim district in Paris.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
There is no Muslim district in Paris.

Oh really ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G775EL2CS4

Of course thes

Old 08-03-2015, 03:06 AM

^^That's not a Muslim district, that's a street in front of a mosque 6 years ago. What's the point of posting outdated videos like that?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn76KrI7aiQ

I guess they don't have this in Madrid. And, Paris lovers, don't say it's only one subway stations : there are dozens of metro station in that state in Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe