Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant- inner Madrid or Paris?
Inner Madrid 13 37.14%
Paris 19 54.29%
too close to call 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 AM

570 posts, read 605,334 times

Advertisements

The number of romanians in madrid 220000
‘Rumañoles’ en Madrid | Madrid | EL PAÍS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:39 AM

The question to answer is et more vibrant Madrid or Paris? No whether it is better or worser city

Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
Madrid has a great nightlife! I felt safe walking around the streets at night because there were people around talking and drinking and the Spaniards treated me warmly for the most part.

Paris is bigger and has more economic power and fame compared to Madrid, but it is one of the few cities in Europe where I was constantly reminded by hostel and hotel staff about walking at certain places at night. The staff says that due to my appearance, I could be mistaken as a Jew (Judaism is not a race, Frenchmen!) and become a target for being mugged.....great ! I was referred to as a juif or sale juif in the metro and the streets. And they were not of obvious Arab or immigrant appearance, mind you.

So yes, Madrid gets my vote. Although, I enjoyed my time in France more outside of Paris.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, Paris is the #1 tourist city. We're talking tourists, not visitors.

London, while a great city, does not have the iconic tourist draw of a Paris. I don't think any city does. NYC, maybe? Rome? I still think Paris comes out on top. I would put London behind Paris, NYC and probably Rome (against, strictly tourist appeal).
You are as out of date on this one as you are on everything else.

Most popular cities for tourists in 2015

London vies with Bangkok these days, not Paris.

When I say Paris is a "museum" I mean that it seems stuck in a timewarp. It's a beautiful city, with grand planning that London never had (other than the odd half-finished attempt). What it lacks is London's dynamism. I'm not happy with much of the development in London (I hate The Shard for example) but most people love it. London's skyline is almost unrecognisable from 2 decades ago - Paris's is exactly the same. Paris does haute couture, London funky street fashion. Paris hi brow cuisine (though I can only ever remember one decent meal in the city - I've eaten some TERRIBLE food in Paris, at pricey establishments too), London ethnic food from everywhere on the planet.

It would be crazy to slag Paris. I'm just saying why, despite it being a short train ride away, and having visited countless times, it fails to turn me on like London, Amsterdam, Berlin or indeed, Madrid.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM

I think those voting vote the Paris Louvre,the Vendone square,etc

They do not know what that is vibrant and night Madrid,

Paris appears beside a funeral.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM

Madrid at night is a Party(FIESTA).

Compare Madrid and Paris in this matter shows that not only Madrid is known

Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM

431 posts, read 450,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
You are as out of date on this one as you are on everything else.

Most popular cities for tourists in 2015

London vies with Bangkok these days, not Paris.
AFAICT the data in the MasterCard report does not differentiate between business travel and tourism.

On a per country basis, UNTWO still has France on top, with over 2x as many tourist visits as the UK.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Paris is also full of business travelers.

The problem is that it compare cities within city limits (plenty tourists sleep in suburbs) and does not have a consistant definition.
In many ways MasterCard report compares apples with oranges.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:33 AM

Vibrant equals excitant of mind.

The sun excites and depresses the dark .

Madrid is thr Capital of Europe with more hours of sunshine 2909 year.

Paris 2780 hours of light.

Compare sun and vibrant joy Madrid with the dismal darkness of Paris is absurd.

Horas de sol al año, en Europa y en el Mundo - Meteorología general

Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 AM

Corret a previus post mistakes
Madrid 2909 hours of sunshine
Paris 1780 hours of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe