Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant- inner Madrid or Paris?
Inner Madrid 13 37.14%
Paris 19 54.29%
too close to call 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:14 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,663 times

Advertisements

So I realize that Paris is MUCH denser overall, but central Madrid has always struck me as VERY vibrant and I'm curious- does anyone have the density numbers for just inner Madrid (say the innermost 80 sq km)?

Which do you feel is more vibrant- inner Madrid or Paris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 05:01 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikollen View Post
Madrid has better night life, more culture, even its red light district is far more interesting.

Madrid also feels more western, up this point Paris is like being in the middle east or Africa which I don't like (at least not in Europe)
What a nice comment...

Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,262 times
Quote:
Madrid has better night life, more culture, even its red light district is far more interesting.

Madrid also feels more western, up this point Paris is like being in the middle east or Africa which I don't like (at least not in Europe)
That's a stupid and exagerated comment. Paris has some areas with lots of immigrants and their descendents from Africa but they do not constitute no where the majority of the city of Paris (let alone including its metropolitan area).
I suggest you actually visit Paris before taking stupid conclusions.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:

No need of such hyperbolic and false comment just because you don't like Paris. Nobody believes you.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM

177 posts, read 194,054 times
Madrid is plain and doesn't show anything of what makes, Spain, Spain. Spain's best cities are smaller ones, ones which don't look like different eras have left permanent markers on the city. Madrid has basically failed to save its heritage and basically looks like junk in comparison with other major European cities.

There is no comparison with Paris at all.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:

Except for the "better nightlife" part, everything in your post is completely ridiculous.

If you think Paris feels "like being in the middle east or Africa" then you've never been to Paris. 90% of Paris residents aren't from the Middle East or Africa, and in the core parts, with all the tourists, commuters and visitors, the proportion is even higher.

And Paris is one of the global centers of culture, Madrid isn't. Madrid probably isn't even the most culturally relevant city in Spain; Paris is in a league with NYC and London.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,663 times
In the OP, I was implying a comparison between the two on more the grandeur of the streetscape as well as the intensity of built environment and pedestrian volumes; I didn't intend to take into account factors such as immigration patterns or historical significance.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:59 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,155 times
Quote:
I recall driving into paris and being attacked around Saint Denis stade and just everything looks like it was hit by an atomic bomb.

The city feels kinda dirty, overcrowded. The nightlife is not remarkable for a city that size.

the french of course very latin (tomorrow monsieur, nothing works, it's ok relax type of attitude)
What are you even saying ?

How can a so short post contains as much nonsense as you just did ?

You seem to have some problems with Paris and even maybe France in general, am I right ?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
I recall driving into paris and being attacked around Saint Denis stade and just everything looks like it was hit by an atomic bomb.
Stade de France isn't even in Paris, so I suspect you're just making stuff up. And I doubt you were "attacked" passing through St. Denis.
Quote:
The city feels kinda dirty, overcrowded. The nightlife is not remarkable for a city that size.
Yet Paris is the most visited city on the planet. I guess the world disagrees with you.
Quote:
the french of course very latin (tomorrow monsieur, nothing works, it's ok relax type of attitude)
Paris is one of the centers of global civilization and is probably a lot more advanced than where you live.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,538 times
Quote:

Yes, total nonsense here.
The only thing remotely accurate might be the nightlife remark, but that is off the mark too. Madrid may seem more vibrant at night, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe