Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
somebody else might have said that. i have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Sounds like the proverbial:
They said that ... ,
where nobody knows who *they* is ...
No, i quoted the wrong poster, sorry mym, i meant this

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaniem View Post
Be aware that your USA-driving license is only valid a couple of months. If you are living in the Netherlands you need to get a Dutch license. And that is not so easy and cheap as it sounds. Paying with creditcard in stores is rare. The dutch pay with debitcard (PIN) or cash in stores and restaurants. Bills are mostly paid automaticly if you authorize the bank for that (handy for rent, insurances, gas, internet etc.) or with a transfer. Most dutch do that online. Paperchecks are oldfashion and banks will charge you for it. Online banking is big here. So get a good bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
<<<Paying with creditcard in stores is rare. The dutch pay with debitcard (PIN) or cash in stores and restaurants. Bills are mostly paid automaticly if you authorize the bank for that (handy for rent, insurances, gas, internet etc.) or with a transfer. Most dutch do that online. Paperchecks are oldfashion and banks will charge you for it. Online banking is big here. So get a good bank.>>>

A bit off topic comment here but I was thinking how fast systems change.
We lived over 20 years in the USA, where we paid everything by check !
Then almost ten years in Germany (first stint), where we used automatic bill paying (loved that !!)
and used primarily our EuroCard. Good everywhere in Europe, a bit of a problem in the USA ...
Anywhere in Europe ... you need cash, just go to any ATM and get local currency !
Wife was surprised when she asked for checks she was given just 10 of them ...
Then another stint again in Switzerland, and the banking systems changed again !!

The only fun thing there, was that we could say that we had a Swiss bank account ... Hah !!!

Something else way different you may encounter in The Netherlands,
and that is the Internet System.
I think I am correct in saying that it is so much better in The Netherlands,
when compared to some areas in the USA !!
Where I live, I am fortunate to get *almost* enough speed to watch movies on Netflix.
Often it stops and then I have to wait a few seconds for the *streaming* to continue.
And I do not live in podunk town !!
Maybe, Cattledog, can enlighten us here ??

Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 PM

Internet is very good here. In all cities there's very good connections. All cities have "cable" which means internet and cable tv. Even the internet lines like adsl that still go over the phone lines are good. I live in a rural area and have a simple adsl line and can still stream movies. No problem.

It will cost you around € 30,- a month on the low side, up to € 60,- on the high side, for a package of internet, phone, and tv. Depending on the speed you want it can vary. Here's a few providers

https://www.prijsvergelijken.nl/inte...ervices_4=true

So, watching Netflix is no problem. But what is even better is streaming movies on a media box or your computer with xbmc. A box will cost you like € 100,- to € 200,-. The streams are very good and it's legal, since streaming isn't downloading You can even watch some live tv american tv channels on them. Mostly sports and movie channels.

Mediaspelers vergelijken en kopen op Kieskeurig.nl

Old 08-28-2015, 05:50 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
There you go Dutchfan007.
No need to worry when you need the Internet to do your work !

OK, with KPN (from the list of internet providers),
you get 13 million WiFi spots !
The Netherlands is about 16 million square miles.

Would you *ever* run out of free WiFi ??
Way out in the boonies maybe ?

Last edited by irman; 08-28-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM

18 posts, read 17,998 times
Thanks I'm hoping to fall under the 30% ruling

Quote:
Sounds like the proverbial:
They said that ... ,
where nobody knows who *they* is ...

Everything *they* said MUST be taken with a bag of salt.
A grain is never enough.

the 30% rule:
Driving licence | I amsterdam
and read this:
30% tax ruling | I amsterdam

Here the link I was looking for before:
Expatcenter - Official expat & highly skilled migrant services | I amsterdam
Read EVERYTHING on this website !!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 17,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Internet is very good here. In all cities there's very good connections. All cities have "cable" which means internet and cable tv. Even the internet lines like adsl that still go over the phone lines are good. I live in a rural area and have a simple adsl line and can still stream movies. No problem.

It will cost you around € 30,- a month on the low side, up to € 60,- on the high side, for a package of internet, phone, and tv. Depending on the speed you want it can vary. Here's a few providers

https://www.prijsvergelijken.nl/inte...ervices_4=true

So, watching Netflix is no problem. But what is even better is streaming movies on a media box or your computer with xbmc. A box will cost you like € 100,- to € 200,-. The streams are very good and it's legal, since streaming isn't downloading You can even watch some live tv american tv channels on them. Mostly sports and movie channels.

Mediaspelers vergelijken en kopen op Kieskeurig.nl
Netflix will complete me lol

Quote:

So worries bout WiFi any more

Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchfan007 View Post
I have a potential job opportunity I'm looking to accept in Netherlands. Looking for some information on the places to look for a house(on rent). My work will be flexible and wont have to go in to office everyday, my office is located around Amsterdam Zuid. I may travel frequently so being closer to the airport will be an advantage(though not a must).

Do I need a car? How are the second hand markets for cars?

I will be coming from the US, is there something that I should absolutely ship from here? I plan to move my furniture and stuff.

Any advice and tips on what a first time visitor should consider before moving to Amsterdam?
By now, all your questions have probably been answered, but:

-Try a few months without a car and see if you still want one. Public transportation near Amsterdam is pretty good (better than the US, not as good as Hong Kong, Japan or Germany), cycling is easier and more-pleasant than just about anywhere in the world. However, if you want to live in a small town and commute to work in Amsterdam, a car is probably a good idea. Cars aren't super-expensive like they are in Scandinavian countries. Used cars are only slightly more expensive than the US, although you'll want a smaller one or you'll get boned on road taxes and fuel costs. If you get an old clunker, don't drive it at 120 mph on the autobahn. Get an International Drivers Permit before leaving the US - this will allow to drive for your first year in the country. Afterwards you'll need to get a Dutch drivers license. Dutch drivers are careful and courteous and the freeways are some of the best-maintained in the world.

-Amsterdam is crowded and touristy, with expensive housing. I'd never want to live there personally, it's a nice place for day trips. Other cities in The Netherlands are far less expensive. The Hague has a comfortable, village feel. Relatively spread-out with lots of parks, green space, and beaches. Rotterdam is like Manhattan - all modern high-rises with tons of people and terrible traffic, but enjoyable in its own way.

-Despite what others have said, parking isn't horrible if you do a bit of homework and don't mind walking some. Proud to say that in our entire time in NL I spent less than 10 euro on parking and never got a ticket. Most small towns don't bother with paid parking except in a few areas. If you drive into Amsterdam, you can park for free on the north side of the Ij, walk 15 minutes and take a free ferry to the central train station. Large portions of The Hague have unrestricted parking (mostly the northwest side). All midsize or larger cities have P+Rs where you can park free or cheap and take transit into the city.

-If you like your US bike, bring it over. You'll certainly have no trouble finding parts for it. Traditional Dutch bikes are built like tanks - they'll last forever but are heavy and clunky to manhandle.

-Furniture and most home goods aren't dramatically more-expensive, now that the euro has devalued so much against the dollar. MegaStores in The Hague is a good place to go for furniture. Bring over electronics (as long as they're dual-voltage), they're significantly more expensive.

-Get an ABN AMRO bank account, they're the only bank that specializes in English-speaking expats.

-Groceries in The Netherlands are a great value considering their excellent quality. Restaurants are generally more-expensive than in the US. Eating out in NL is more of a special occasion, reserved for a couple times a month.

-Everyone will tell you that the Dutch are rude and not particularly welcoming to visitors. We didn't find this to be true at all, we made lots of Dutch friends and got around the cities just fine. If I could summarize public service in The Netherlands: it's rarely outstanding, but it's never terrible. Shopkeepers, waiters, and government officials will perform their duties professionally and respectfully but are unlikely to go far out of their way to accommodate a special request.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Netflix will complete me lol

Haha just saying lol.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:

That would be 16,000 mile2

Quote:

About the Wifi, it's not like everywhere you go there's free wifi, but in the cities (especially the big ones) most places like grand cafe's, mcdonalds, big warehouses, gas stations etc. all offer free wifi but the range it spans is so short that soon as you walk out the door the connection is gone.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
About the Dutch "rudeness" or more like bluntness it reminds me of a restaurant I visited a few years ago in Amsterdam. It was raining (obviously), and we stepped in with our umbrellas. The waitress immediately shouted "DON'T BRING THOSE F**KING UMBRELLAS IN HERE!" We were terrified and quite surprised. You were supposed to leave the umbrellas in the vestibule so that the floor wouldn't be wet. Ok then, sorry, we didn't know. After that the waitress was perfectly friendly and asked what we'll have.

Though we Finns are quite blunt and straightforward, that was a bit of a culture shock, screaming to customers like that. But I learnt my lesson. Won't do it the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe