Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:19 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times

Advertisements

I don't find Dutch people rude at all, that's such an inaccurate stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
The Dutch are not rude, just direct. Not the most friendly people but i think that's mainly because the lack of sunshine. If we had a Mediterranean climate the Dutch would probably be (one of) the most friendly people in Europe.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
About the Dutch "rudeness" or more like bluntness it reminds me of a restaurant I visited a few years ago in Amsterdam. It was raining (obviously), and we stepped in with our umbrellas. The waitress immediately shouted "DON'T BRING THOSE F**KING UMBRELLAS IN HERE!" We were terrified and quite surprised. You were supposed to leave the umbrellas in the vestibule so that the floor wouldn't be wet. Ok then, sorry, we didn't know. After that the waitress was perfectly friendly and asked what we'll have.

Though we Finns are quite blunt and straightforward, that was a bit of a culture shock, screaming to customers like that. But I learnt my lesson. Won't do it the next time.
haha, must have been a shocker.

I hope you know this kind of "rudeness" is not representative for the rest of the NL? You'll encounter that only in the Randstad. This would not happen in the North, East or Southern parts. People go to Amsterdam and think all Dutch are like that, but in fact most Dutch dislike that "loudmouth" behavior in the big cities.
And Amsterdam is the worst in that regard.

On top of the bad weather that is already mentioned, i think it's also the big crowds and fast pace of the big cities that makes people cranky.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:45 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
or France
The French, in the last 30 years, have rehabilitated themselves in my eyes. Now it is time for Americans to do the same thing, at least when they travel overseas as tourists.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchfan007 View Post
I have a potential job opportunity I'm looking to accept in Netherlands. Looking for some information on the places to look for a house(on rent). My work will be flexible and wont have to go in to office everyday, my office is located around Amsterdam Zuid. I may travel frequently so being closer to the airport will be an advantage(though not a must).

Do I need a car? How are the second hand markets for cars?

I will be coming from the US, is there something that I should absolutely ship from here? I plan to move my furniture and stuff.

Any advice and tips on what a first time visitor should consider before moving to Amsterdam?
I see that you are getting a lot of support from the "Hollanders" and that you are paying attention. That is a very good thing.

I can only add:

1. US tax advisers - even ex pat ones - often know little or nothing about the tax situation of the countries in which their US clients reside and Foreign tax advisers often know little about the US tax code, although both groups generally do know about double taxation agreements. As long as you Holland does does not tax you on your world-wide income (I dont think they do), your tax situation will not be too complicated, although if you make investments in Dutch (or foreign, in general) securities, they will have to be reported when you file each year in the US.
2. If you can not use the foreign earned income tax exclusion in the first tax year, you can always take a foreign tax on your Dutch income. In fact, you can always do that. The form is a bit harder to fill out.
3. Find out if Holland has a Social Security Agreement with the US. If so, use it so you can maintain/build your US Social Security benefits.
4. Maintain a US BANKING address of some kind and bank account and credit cards. If you live in California, it seems like they will tax you on your overseas income, or will at least try to. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO TALK TO A QUALIFIED CA TAX EXPERT TO ADVISE YOU ON THIS!!!!
5. You'll also need to declare your foreign bank accounts to the US, if they exceed the threshold value.

And finally be keen to understand the extent to which Dutch work culture exists in your new place of business and adjust to it. To do this, you watch what your colleagues do, not what they say. But most of all, go in with a positive attitude about your experience, because some things may come as shock to you - work culture, family culture, relationship culture being the key areas. If you are single, the "romantic" relationship culture is often the hardest to get used to, no matter where you go.

Veilige reis!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,577,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The Dutch are not rude, just direct. Not the most friendly people but i think that's mainly because the lack of sunshine.
Well, sunshine comes into play a bit, but anyway there are some places in the northern coast of Spain where the climate is even a bit glommier than, say, the whole Benelux, but they still are as friendly as average Spaniards that lives elsewhere in the rest of the country.

Northern Scotland is the glommiest place in Europe though people there still tend to be a bit friendlier than most of their NW Europeans counterparts.

Once I heard about people that say Russian people from Moscow are way warmer and friendlier than Spaniards ones despite their bad climate.

Anyway, coming back on topic, I was in The Netherlands twice and didn't find rude nor extremely cold at all, but direct and they have good sense of humor as well.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
haha, must have been a shocker.

I hope you know this kind of "rudeness" is not representative for the rest of the NL? You'll encounter that only in the Randstad. This would not happen in the North, East or Southern parts. People go to Amsterdam and think all Dutch are like that, but in fact most Dutch dislike that "loudmouth" behavior in the big cities.
And Amsterdam is the worst in that regard.

On top of the bad weather that is already mentioned, i think it's also the big crowds and fast pace of the big cities that makes people cranky.
Oh, no no. And she shouted that first in Dutch, and then when she realised we were tourists she told us off in a similar manner in English. And I didn't mind, we didn't take it personally. But do it here, the potential customers will make a 180 degree turn and go to another place. I've been 5 times to the Netherlands, been practically in all other major cities except Maastricht and have nothing but good experiences. We Finns are blunt too, but its more like condemning bad looks and some snappy comments, while in the NL it's more like a punch in your face. But we well understood what was the point.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM

18 posts, read 17,991 times
These are some very valid and important points. Thanks for bringing it up.
I have been planning to talk to my tax adviser, this post surely gives me a good direction. Need to discuss with my firm on the 401k and how to deal with it.

Appreciate all your comments folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I see that you are getting a lot of support from the "Hollanders" and that you are paying attention. That is a very good thing.

I can only add:

1. US tax advisers - even ex pat ones - often know little or nothing about the tax situation of the countries in which their US clients reside and Foreign tax advisers often know little about the US tax code, although both groups generally do know about double taxation agreements. As long as you Holland does does not tax you on your world-wide income (I dont think they do), your tax situation will not be too complicated, although if you make investments in Dutch (or foreign, in general) securities, they will have to be reported when you file each year in the US.
2. If you can not use the foreign earned income tax exclusion in the first tax year, you can always take a foreign tax on your Dutch income. In fact, you can always do that. The form is a bit harder to fill out.
3. Find out if Holland has a Social Security Agreement with the US. If so, use it so you can maintain/build your US Social Security benefits.
4. Maintain a US BANKING address of some kind and bank account and credit cards. If you live in California, it seems like they will tax you on your overseas income, or will at least try to. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO TALK TO A QUALIFIED CA TAX EXPERT TO ADVISE YOU ON THIS!!!!
5. You'll also need to declare your foreign bank accounts to the US, if they exceed the threshold value.

And finally be keen to understand the extent to which Dutch work culture exists in your new place of business and adjust to it. To do this, you watch what your colleagues do, not what they say. But most of all, go in with a positive attitude about your experience, because some things may come as shock to you - work culture, family culture, relationship culture being the key areas. If you are single, the "romantic" relationship culture is often the hardest to get used to, no matter where you go.

Veilige reis!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,264 times
if you own property in the US, the US gov't has some agreement with the Netherlands that doesn't allow you to invest in euro securities.

i don't quite get it but that is what the bank guy told me. this won't affect your US investments.

this is also why you get your own special expat department at the bank to handle your needs.

once i got here i asked around and got a name of a guy who does expat taxes and i let him take care of it. the first year it was weird with half taxes here and half taxes their but now it is simpler. he still files both taxes for me but i dont need to provide as much paperwork as i did the first year.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
if you own property in the US, the US gov't has some agreement with the Netherlands that doesn't allow you to invest in euro securities.

Without a reference, not worth the comment !!

i don't quite get it but that is what the bank guy told me. this won't affect your US investments.

Another one of those *they said*, without actually knowing who *they* are.
A *bank guy* ? What does he really know ?

this is also why you get your own special expat department at the bank to handle your needs.

We lived in two European countries and our financial needs were never taken care of, by some *special expat* department.

once i got here i asked around and got a name of a guy who does expat taxes and i let him take care of it. the first year it was weird with half taxes here and half taxes their but now it is simpler. he still files both taxes for me but i dont need to provide as much paperwork as i did the first year.
As always get the facts !!
Then act accordingly !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe