Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Hurt?! To the contrary, I find it sick when people are allowed to utter every stupid thing that comes out of their tiny brains. So I would not mind if there were reasonable limitations to freedom of speech. Total freedom of speech is a nightmare in my view, nothing any society should strive for.

No, I do not agree, as again, you say Europe when there is no European freedom of speech. If you had said Germany, then yes, I would have agreed with you. Then again, there are no free speech zones and such oddities in Germany.

Also, legal limits to freedom of speech are just one type of limit. The non-legal limits are more important as hardly anyone knows the law, anyway. It starts when people are little children and moms scold them for saying certain things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hurt?! To the contrary, I find it sick when people are allowed to utter every stupid thing that comes out of their tiny brains. So I would not mind if there were reasonable limitations to freedom of speech. Total freedom of speech is a nightmare in my view, nothing any society should strive for.
And so do many other Europeans, which is precisely why European nations restrict speech more than we do in the US.

Quote:
No, I do not agree, as again, you say Europe when there is no European freedom of speech. If you had said Germany, then yes, I would have agreed with you. Then again, there are no free speech zones and such oddities in Germany.
I'm done arguing with you. I've stated several times that it is the various nations of Europe that restrict speech more than the US does.

I can't help you if you cannot understand this.

Quote:
Also, legal limits to freedom of speech are just one type of limit. The non-legal limits are more important as hardly anyone knows the law, anyway. It starts when people are little children and moms scold them for saying certain things.
Speak for yourself. I know the law. You don't? Then you are arguing from a position of ignorance.

Have a good day. Its night here in Asia.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:29 AM

Only on paper, at best. In reality it is absurd for most Europeans to observe for instance how easily people in the US attack each other over allegedly racist statements. Or those infamous beeps when certain words are said

So at the end of the day, I am more free in Europe than in the US. Only for irresponsible radicals are the US a better place because those don't care for others anyway, to the contrary, provocation and insult seem to be their fuel. But the vast majority of society are better off in Europe because unlike what the threat title suggests pc is very limited compared to the US.

Good night

Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM

324 posts, read 467,869 times
Europe has significant restrictions on free speech. Especially Germany. The US institutionalized censorship in Germany while it was occupied by the Allies.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:54 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
No. First of all, it's called compassion, not political correctness. Second, I don't know of a country in Europe, the majority of whose citizens have even an ounce of compassion in their hearts.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:49 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Freedom of speech in EU...

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdo...statute_en.pdf

Did this pass yet? They've been pushing it for 2 years...is this what Europeans consider "free speech"? Or do they not care as long as they can say the F word on television and show skin?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 AM

I don't know. But it reads like a typical attempt to force exaggerated and unnatural tolerance on people, there are such attempts everywhere in the West and in different ways. That attempt is based on the idea that being tolerant is automatically a good thing and a kind of natural law. But it is a dangerous approach as it also stifles due criticism of crappy and/or incompatible ideas, beliefs, ideologies, religions, sects etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:58 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
I don't know. But it reads like a typical attempt to force exaggerated and unnatural tolerance on people, there are such attempts everywhere in the West and in different ways. That attempt is based on the idea that being tolerant is automatically a good thing and a kind of natural law. But it is a dangerous approach as it also stifles due criticism of crappy and/or incompatible ideas, beliefs, ideologies, religions, sects etc.
Yes, and now look what Europe is dealing with, right now. If this didn't pass, good, because this would have told them, "Shut up and take it, we don't want to hear what you think about it". The last thing Europe needs is something like that document. I'd be more concerned about things like that than the amount of skin someone wants to show.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM

51 posts, read 80,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In my opinion i don't think a few more refugees is going to kill a whole continent.

I don't live there but this whole issue seems way over blown, i'm pretty sure this doesnt affect the day to day life of most Europeans.
A few? Try a couple of million.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:01 AM

At the end of the day some say there might be 2m to 3m of them in Europe once they have brought in their relatives. That's like a half percent of the European population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe