Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:52 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most of that is just a myth and stereotype. I have seen so many exceptions that I no longer believe in that nonsense.
I think that not only the language. Also important history (light, dark - it does not matter), traditions and behavioral patterns.
Calm, reliable, punctual - it's excellent features of the German character. Especially compared to the Russian carelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? It is "myth and stereotype" that Germany has a Lutheran and Catholic heritage? It is "myth and stereotype" that Germany has a common culture?

Yes, thank you for clarifying. Obviously Germany has a Hindu and Buddhist heritage. Obviously there is no common culture. There was never a Germanic people. Thank you for clearing that up for us...
Why Hindu? Why leave Europe? Germans are no different from their neighbors. People in Northern Germany might as well be Scandinavians if it weren't for the language. The same goes for other regions in the West, in the East, in the South. There is nothing specific German about Germans except the language. That is actually reason why there is the High German language, it was invented to enable reasonable communication between the different peoples that happened to live in that territory. You can even find many of supposedly German traits in the Japanese. And of course in any European country.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that not only the language. Also important history (light, dark - it does not matter), traditions and behavioral patterns.
Calm, reliable, punctual - it's excellent features of the German character. Especially compared to the Russian carelessness.
Again, I have known so many exceptions that I no longer believe in those supposedly positive stereotypes.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:40 PM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, I have known so many exceptions that I no longer believe in those supposedly positive stereotypes.
That's a good point. Germans being disciplined, and British people being gentleman are largely stereotypes. Anyone who's been to a summer vacation spot where Brits and Germans go can testify that they very often are neither very disciplined nor classy.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In my opinion i don't think a few more refugees is going to kill a whole continent.

I don't live there but this whole issue seems way over blown, i'm pretty sure this doesnt affect the day to day life of most Europeans.
Yes it does!!!

It is not just 'a few more', we are talking upwards of a million now. Who knows how many more in the next year.

I was in Europe/mainly Germany for 5 months this past summer and I got plenty of opinions of what the people think about this. Many where pro and many where against immigration.

One instance, a friend from a small German town of about 20,000 said that within the past two years, things have drastically changed. Now young German woman don't feel safe walking around at night because non-Germans(recent arrivals) have raped and have been attempting to rape them. This was not the case only just a few years ago where anyone would be safe walking around at any hour. This is happening across many German towns and is only going to get worse. Brought tears to their eyes when they talked about what was happening to their beloved country. These people where not totally against immigration either, they are pissed that economic migrants and not true refugees are being let it.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 PM

123 posts, read 278,432 times
http://www.mrctv.org/sites/default/f...he/127748.html

I wish more people spoke out like her.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't see how accept immigrants and refugees has anything to do with political correctness. Does not despising non-white equal political correctness? I am puzzled.
Yes, you seem puzzled often! You know what is PC? Its nonsense such as describing the fear of an influx of millions of people of a completely different culture, one that often holds polar opposite values, as merely a fear of "non-white" people.

Why so simplistic a view?

How would China react to millions of non Han immigrants flooding into Beijing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Regarding German's so-called "self-loathing" - I wish all European countries have more of that and less of patriotism/nationalism. Wars happened repeated precisely because of that. Germany is doing everything it can to prevent something like that from happening again, if it comes at the cost of some German pride, then I'd say it is totally worth it. Germany is one of the most responsible countries in the world nowadays.
And yet you are one of the biggest cheerleaders here for Chinese pride and nationalism.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
And yet you are one of the biggest cheerleaders here for Chinese pride and nationalism.
He either suffers from severe bipolar syndrome or is just shamelessly hypocritical.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Yes, you seem puzzled often! You know what is PC? Its nonsense such as describing the fear of an influx of millions of people of a completely different culture, one that often holds polar opposite values, as merely a fear of "non-white" people.

Why so simplistic a view?

How would China react to millions of non Han immigrants flooding into Beijing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
He either suffers from severe bipolar syndrome or is just shamelessly hypocritical.
Ahhh how typical, gotta get all personal with someone because their opinion doesn't match yours...

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ahhh how typical, gotta get all personal with someone because their opinion doesn't match yours...
I actually feel the same when it comes to refugees as him. All the fear-mongering "refugees are gonna kill Europe" nonsense is moronic and racist imo.

But he is the last person on earth to lecture people on how dangerous nationalism is. He gets really angry whenever someone criticises China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe