Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

It's funny that Muslims don't like non-believers and think those are wrong and end up in hell and what not. Yet, when the **** hits the fan, they seek refuge in the West when running from yet another failed Muslim country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 12:39 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,239,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
People didn't even show the flag until the 2006 WC.
I think that is wrong. The Germans must not forget who they are. One of the great nations of Europe.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that is wrong. The Germans must not forget who they are. One of the great nations of Europe.
That is more difficult than it seems. What makes a German German? Like with any country, most of it boils down to the language, frankly. And I think leaders, especially dictators, have always known that, which is why they tend to play the patriotism and maybe even race card, which is supposed to make people feel more united and one than they actually are.
Other factors are superficial things like what you are used to, which is simply the consequence of where you happen to grow up.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is more difficult than it seems. What makes a German German? Like with any country, most of it boils down to the language, frankly.
It's not only language. It's the Lutheran and Catholic heritage. It's the dedication to rules and laws. It's the communal sense of togetherness and Ordnung. It's the common history and worldview. It's the directness and honesty. It's the culture of saving and fear of debt.

There are many aspects that make Germans specifically German, outside of language.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
It's funny that Muslims don't like non-believers and think those are wrong and end up in hell and what not. Yet, when the **** hits the fan, they seek refuge in the West when running from yet another failed Muslim country
What makes you think you can speak for over 1 and a half billion people?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's not only language. It's the Lutheran and Catholic heritage. It's the dedication to rules and laws. It's the communal sense of togetherness and Ordnung. It's the common history and worldview. It's the directness and honesty. It's the culture of saving and fear of debt.

There are many aspects that make Germans specifically German, outside of language.

Most of that is just a myth and stereotype. I have seen so many exceptions that I no longer believe in that nonsense.
Also, I did not claim it is ONLY language.

Anyway, my point is that anyone from around the world can become German if they grow up there.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,976 times
The unfettered arrival of these migrants will not be without tears - the very thing that makes the West - Europe desirable - liberty, the rule of law, the right to criticize - the values of the Enlightenment, is at odds with the tenets of (many of) the new arrivals.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What makes you think you can speak for over 1 and a half billion people?
I was speaking for real Muslims, it is in their writings...

Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
Most of that is just a myth and stereotype. I have seen so many exceptions that I no longer believe in that nonsense.
Also, I did not claim it is ONLY language.

Anyway, my point is that anyone from around the world can become German if they grow up there.

It's not that simple I'm afraid. Just look at the large Turkish community living in Germany. Many of them have been living in Germany for 2 or 3 generations, speak German like natives. Legally they are German indeed, but their ethnic identity is more complex. They are not as Turkish as someone born and raised in say Istanbul, but they are not as German as the average blond "mr Gunther" who been in the Germany for generations. Germans of Turkish descent may be considered by some people as both Germans and Turkish, or maybe neither one nor the other. That's why Americans came up with the "hyphened" ethnicity concept such as German-Turkish.
Nonetheless I don't believe they are viewed as entirely Germans tho. Just look at Mezut Ozil playing for the German national team foreign commentators often mention his Turkish background despite being born and raised in Germany for the simple reason as he is not as stereotypically German as Schweinsteiger. The same thing applied for Zidane, Balotelli, Platini, Eusebio etc

Old 09-19-2015, 02:46 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? It is "myth and stereotype" that Germany has a Lutheran and Catholic heritage? It is "myth and stereotype" that Germany has a common culture?

Yes, thank you for clarifying. Obviously Germany has a Hindu and Buddhist heritage. Obviously there is no common culture. There was never a Germanic people. Thank you for clearing that up for us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe