Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
well, considering I can't write **** or **** on this board without it being censored on a board where otherwise blatant racism is allowed, i'd say I generally agree with Ariete, or at least I'd say that our censorship is a bit more intelligent.
On domestic forums I frequent there is no censorship. It's up to the moderators to decide if you curse or insult excessively.

Here when I type in google "Tiananmen", this is the first suggestion for a picture:

In China this is not visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
It's the same on CD. It is moderators doing the censoring, not seldom when people report posts they don't like. And of course some censoring is built-in, some words can only be written using deliberate typos.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:37 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Hahahahahahahaha!

That's a good joke!
How's that a joke?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How's that a joke?
Any claim that Europe is the "home of free speech" is a joke.

The US becomes more centrally-governed and liberties are eroded year-by-year. But, it will still be quite a while before anywhere other than the US can legitimately claim to be the "home of free speech".

Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM

When you compare the freedom of speech in different countries, there is little difference. There are lots of restrictions everywhere including in the US. And it makes sense because we don't live in a jungle, but in human societies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedo...ech_by_country

Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:

The US becomes more centrally-governed and liberties are eroded year-by-year. But, it will still be quite a while before anywhere other than the US can legitimately claim to be the "home of free speech".
Why is that? The concept of the freedom of speech was nourished, if not born, during the Age of Enlightenment, a pivotal period of time in the history of Europe. It was an European idea.

And didn't Voltaire say this?
Quote:
Monsieur l’abbé, je déteste ce que vous écrivez, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez continuer à écrire.
This was 1770, 6 years prior to the birthday of the United States of America.

I'd say makes perfect sense to say that democracy and freedom of expression were born in Europe.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Why is that? The concept of the freedom of speech was nourished, if not born, during the Age of Enlightenment, a pivotal period of time in the history of Europe. It was an European idea.
That's true.

Quote:
And didn't Voltaire say this?

This was 1770, 6 years prior to the birthday of the United States of America.
He did.

Quote:
I'd say makes perfect sense to say that democracy and freedom of expression were born in Europe.
I agree.

But, that is not what the poster stated. The poster stated that Europe is the home of free speech. Free speech was born in Europe. But, it moved to and now resides in the US.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
But, that is not what the poster stated. The poster stated that Europe is the home of free speech. Free speech was born in Europe. But, it moved to and now resides in the US.
Are you implying that freedom of speech doesn't exist in any other place other than in the US?

That is simply not even remotely true. America's censorship is probably worse than any country in Western Europe, press freedom is frail, there's also internet surveillance, PATRIOT act, and the high level of police state. So how's Europe inferior to America in terms of personal freedom/civil liberties/democracy?

I'm not saying that the US is not a free country, just that free speech can have more than one "homes". And as of today, Europe seems like the cozier one.

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-24-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 PM

I get the impression that France might have more freedom of speech. I can't imagine for instance those Mohammed caricatures getting published in the US.
The French can also use swear words on TV etc.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:

Shut up and bow down to the almighty Europeans!! Kings of everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe