Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 AM

919 posts, read 842,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
There are a lot of beautiful churches and cathedrals, but that is more of a cultural heritage. Most Germans are not really religious, at most "nominally Christian". Nobody denies the evolution, that's for sure. Stores are closed on Sunday out of tradition, yes.
Your explanation makes perfect sense. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM

1,248 posts, read 827,128 times
Quote:
Oh.... the culture, the freedom, the slower pace of living, the language, the mountains, the sea, the beer, the music, the men (if you are female), the friendliness. Those are pros.

Cons... I don't know.
I know this is a personal opinion only, not a factor everyone would consider, but I really, I mean, really love German. The sound, the expressiveness, the very way the words look on paper, the way it is put together - everything is wonderful. Hell, if I could write poetry, I would compose an ode to the beauty of the German language.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
It's a day of rest, but it's not like everybody goes to church on Sunday. These days there are more tourists than worshipers in churches most of the time. Shops used to be closed on Sunday for religious reasons (just like the USA used to have "blue laws"), but now they simply continue this tradition out of respect for the employees who need to rest and spend a day with their families too. It is a reminder that there is more to life than 24/7 consumerism. Restaurants and gas stations are open though.

I don't know that everybody is expected to be quiet. The nightlife goes on as usual, but it seems, Germans are generally a more quiet, reserved people.
Thank you for clarifying. This makes more sense.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:51 PM

549 posts, read 627,113 times
I'll just focus on the small, trivial things:

Pros:
  • Döner kebabs are tastier than the ones here in the US.
  • Most showers have detachable heads to reach all your cracks and crevices.
  • The weather (yes, I enjoyed the mild summers and all those cold, overcast days)
  • Driving is a much more enjoyable experience.
  • The Autobahn. Need I say more?
  • RENTING an apartment is much cheaper than in the US, even in big cities like Frankfurt.
  • Closing time/last call at bars and clubs is around 6am.
  • Commercial breaks during TV shows are like once every 20 minutes...as opposed to once every 5 minutes.
  • Better country to raise a family.

Cons:
  • The water sure is rough!
  • Having to clean your toilets with a brush after every poop.
  • Stores not being open 24/7
  • Lack of variety in restaurants, shopping, and nightlife...when compared to comparable-sized towns/cities in the US.
  • Lack of beer choices/lack of "craft brew" industry. No Belgian beer. No IPA's. You just get 2 choices: Hefeweizen and pilsner. Here in the US, the dive across the street from my apartment, there are like 10 beers on tap, domestic and international.
  • No Ãœber
  • Not being able to pay for things using your smartphone.
  • Cities not being mapped out on Google Maps
  • Seems every other YouTube video is banned (thanks to GEMA)
  • Technology, in general, just seems 10 years behind.
  • Cigarette smoking is more prevalent.
  • US is better if you are single.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
I'll just focus on the small, trivial things:

Pros:
  • Döner kebabs are tastier than the ones here in the US.
  • Most showers have detachable heads to reach all your cracks and crevices.
  • The weather (yes, I enjoyed the mild summers and all those cold, overcast days)
  • Driving is a much more enjoyable experience.
  • The Autobahn. Need I say more?
  • RENTING an apartment is much cheaper than in the US, even in big cities like Frankfurt.
  • Closing time/last call at bars and clubs is around 6am.
  • Commercial breaks during TV shows are like once every 20 minutes...as opposed to once every 5 minutes.
    [*]Better country to raise a family.

Cons:
  • The water sure is rough!
  • Having to clean your toilets with a brush after every poop.
  • Stores not being open 24/7
  • Lack of variety in restaurants, shopping, and nightlife...when compared to comparable-sized towns/cities in the US.
  • Lack of beer choices/lack of "craft brew" industry. No Belgian beer. No IPA's. You just get 2 choices: Hefeweizen and pilsner. Here in the US, the dive across the street from my apartment, there are like 10 beers on tap, domestic and international.
  • No Ãœber
  • Not being able to pay for things using your smartphone.
  • Cities not being mapped out on Google Maps
  • Seems every other YouTube video is banned (thanks to GEMA)
  • Technology, in general, just seems 10 years behind.
  • Cigarette smoking is more prevalent.
  • US is better if you are single.
How so? (to the bolded)

Just wondering: do single people in Germany or Europe in general rent 2 or 3-br. apartments, like they do in the US? In the US, you see some singles buying 2- or 3-bedroom houses for themselves, even.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:39 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,881,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just wondering: do single people in Germany or Europe in general rent 2 or 3-br. apartments, like they do in the US? In the US, you see some singles buying 2- or 3-bedroom houses for themselves, even.
Of course not.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course not.
They don't? They generally take a studio apt. or a 1-br.? Are they allowed to take a 2-br. apt., if they can afford it? (Weird question, but in Russia the amt. of square footage allocated to each citizen was limited. I don't know if living space might be regulated in other parts of Europe. Sorry for the weird question.)

Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 827,128 times
Quote:
They don't? They generally take a studio apt. or a 1-br.? Are they allowed to take a 2-br. apt., if they can afford it? (Weird question, but in Russia the amt. of square footage allocated to each citizen was limited. I don't know if living space might be regulated in other parts of Europe. Sorry for the weird question.)
Even in Russia they don't do allocations anymore. Maybe only for "social living space", the apartment that are given to orphans and other unprotected classes. Whatever you can afford, you can take.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:53 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,881,780 times
Quote:
Yes, they take studios or 1-br apartments. Europeans don't have the same fixation for over-sized houses like some Americans do. Most consider extra bedrooms which aren't used just a waste of space, and of course they are much more expensive too, so you'd pay for space you don't need anyway. I don't even own stuff to put in the extra rooms.

Of course you are allowed to buy a castle alone if you can afford it.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,051,896 times
The law gives you at least 24 vacation days. The longer you work for a company, the more vacation days you get, but minimum is 24. That's why you see so many Germans all over the world - they travel a lot. I used to have 30 days vacation after working for the same company for 4 years.

More part time job opportunities.
Kindergarten is cheap.

More sick days - as many as you need and they are paid days. If you have a cold, you stay home for a week or two and get paid 100%. If you have a surgery, you stay home until you are well and don't have to go work, half dead and drugged up. I think after 6 weeks of sickness, the pay slowly gets reduced.

Public transportation usually 24/7. You can go out, get wasted and take the metro/train/bus home at any time.

In bigger cities you can go out Thursday evening and party until Sunday night.

Groceries are cheaper as in the US but eating out more expensive.
Parking is more expensive and you often have to pay if you want to use public restrooms.

TV/cable/internet is super cheap compared to the US.
renting is cheaper as buying and you can hardly buy a property if you don't have at least 20% down payment.

They tax the crap out of your paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe