Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,503,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How so? (to the bolded)

Just wondering: do single people in Germany or Europe in general rent 2 or 3-br. apartments, like they do in the US? In the US, you see some singles buying 2- or 3-bedroom houses for themselves, even.
Not really if they are single and one to rent it temporary but some people do. If they but it is usually with 3 or 4 bedroom, view to the future at least here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 04:02 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,122,937 times
I find it easier to be single in Germany as in the US.

Germans have less children usually, don't marry as much and work less hours - more time to go out and have fun with friends.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM

102,427 posts, read 108,796,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it easier to be single in Germany as in the US.

Germans have less children usually, don't marry as much and work less hours - more time to go out and have fun with friends.
They don't marry as much? What does that mean? More people living alone, or more couples living together without marriage, or both? You post some of the most interesting insights....

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-09-2015 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't marry as much? What does that mean? More people living alone, or more couples living together without marriage, or both? You post some of the most interesting insights....
sorry for not being clear.

I meant they are usually together for many years until they marry. They live together and that is very normal. Some only marry after X years because they want children and think it is the right thing to do then.

Most people I know were at late 20's-40 when they married. Mostly in their early 30's.

All my friends have had the same partner for 8-10 years before they tied the knot.

They are usually older when they have children, in their 30's or don't have any at all.

The statistics say that German birth rates are so low that they be extinct some day. They have the lowest birth rate of all countries. 8,28 births per 1,000 people. That sounds crazy low to me but the source I found it at is usually pretty reliable.

That doesn't mean that Germany will be empty at some time. A big part of the population are immigrants. Their birth rate is much higher. Maybe they will put the last Germans into reservations (just kidding).

That's why the government helps families a lot.

You get monthly money for every child until it is out of school. It is around $200/month.
If you are below a certain income level, you get more $$$ per child.
You have to pay less tax if you have children.
Day care is very cheap.
Schools are almost all public.
if you learn a job (usually for 3 years) and go to a 3 year college, the employer pays for the college.

I was done with school at 16 and learned to be a paralegal. Had a 3 year paid internship (30 hours/week) in a law firm and 1,5 days school per week. That's how it works for most jobs like hair dresser, anything in the office like admin/book keeper/ secretary, mechanics, .... anything you don't need a bachelors degree or masters for.

Colleges are cheap. My German interns masters degree cost him a total of $4,000.

Nobody in Germany has to be homeless, there are enough institutions that help you and the tax payer is paying for all. I know single moms who get $$$ and who can live comfortably, working part time.

A friend of mine was dating an ex hooker. After she decided to quit her job (prostitution is legal there, they even pay tax on it), she started working at a gas station and the government gave her additional money so she could have a nice 1-bedroom apartment and live comfortable.

The country is helping everybody, everybody has health insurance and enough food. That's why they tax the crap out of employed people.

Some rich people - remember Michael Schumacher, the Formula 1 champion? Well, they move out of the country, I think he moved to Austria - because he didn't want to pay $$$$$$ tax on his millions. He caused big outrage amongst Germans for stabbing his country in the back, it was all over the news that he abandoned his duty.

Deutschland hat die niedrigste Geburtenrate der Welt - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM

1,248 posts, read 829,338 times
Oh-eve, can you tell me one thing? What chances does a woman of 30 years old have to start a new life in Germany? To get an education (not necessarily college) and a decent job?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
That doesn't mean that Germany will be empty at some time. A big part of the population are immigrants. Their birth rate is much higher. Maybe they will put the last Germans into reservations (just kidding).

Would you really want that to happen?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post

Would you really want that to happen?
i was just kidding. I don't care what happens in 1,000 years.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Oh-eve, can you tell me one thing? What chances does a woman of 30 years old have to start a new life in Germany? To get an education (not necessarily college) and a decent job?

I am not an expert but I would guess it would be possible. There are lots of (office) jobs where English is required.

This year they are receiving 800,000 immigrants from war countries, not sure how many next year .... I don't know how many of them speak English but I would guess that they will employ lots of English speaking people to help with the immigration procedures and get them settled.

The question is how you can get a work Visa there .. maybe contact the consulate?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I am not an expert but I would guess it would be possible. There are lots of (office) jobs where English is required.

This year they are receiving 800,000 immigrants from war countries, not sure how many next year .... I don't know how many of them speak English but I would guess that they will employ lots of English speaking people to help with the immigration procedures and get them settled.

The question is how you can get a work Visa there .. maybe contact the consulate?
I am getting married next year, to a wonderful German gentleman... also das erledigt sich schon

I've been working in transportation/logistics/trucking all these years, and Germans do logistics on a grand scale (especially in Hamburg where I will be living, as there is a huge port there), so I would like to simply continue working in this area. However, in order to work for a German company I will most likely have to retrain. So I wonder, if they would be willing to take a 30-years-old trainee on board.

Last edited by Norne; 11-10-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM

102,427 posts, read 108,796,691 times
Quote:

Nobody in Germany has to be homeless, there are enough institutions that help you and the tax payer is paying for all. I know single moms who get $$$ and who can live comfortably, working part time.

A friend of mine was dating an ex hooker. After she decided to quit her job (prostitution is legal there, they even pay tax on it), she started working at a gas station and the government gave her additional money so she could have a nice 1-bedroom apartment and live comfortable.

The country is helping everybody, everybody has health insurance and enough food. That's why they tax the crap out of employed people.
Fascinating. But a large percentage of the homelessness in the US is due to the government closing most of the mental health institutions, to save money and also because it was thought to be more humane to have people living in the community and getting their mental health care in clinics. This didn't take into account the severely mentally ill, though. Also, clinics were not funded to absorb the large influx of new patients, and it was unaffordable to pay for housing for so many mentally ill in expensive places like San Francisco. Now the mentally ill can't be institutionalized against their will (unlike how it was 50 years ago), so they live in the streets. Some end up in prison, because there's nowhere else for them to go, but the prison system isn't equipped to deal with them properly, either.

How does Germany deal with the mentally ill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe