Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times

Advertisements

My brother- and sister-in-law live in Munich and have two children. My sister-in-law was able to stay home with them for the first few years, then she went back to work part-time at a large national bank. One problem they ran in to was that not only are all schools closed during the month of August, the daycares are closed too. So they had to arrange their schedules so that one of them was home at all times during August. One year, they just couldn't work it out, and they asked my father- and mother-in-law to come from California to stay with them and babysit that month. The in-laws did, but they weren't thrilled. Daycare closed for an entire month? That would never happen in the US.

Last edited by saibot; 11-11-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I remember back in the day you had to buy everything for the weekend until Saturday at noon. If you discover Sunday morning there is no milk left for the coffee ... uh oh!!! You forgot baking powder and want to bake Saturday at 3pm ... better have nice friends who can borrow you some.
Yes, and remember that the little guy who works at that grocery store also needs a day when he can bake a cake or have coffee with his family.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,101,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My brother- and sister-in-law live in Munich and have two children. My sister-in-law was able to stay home with them for the first few years, then she went back to work part-time at a large national bank. One problem they ran in to was that not only are all schools closed during the month of August, the daycares are closed too. So they had to arrange their schedules so that one of them was home at all times during August. One year, they just couldn't work it out, and they asked my father- and mother-in-law to come from California to stay with them and babysit that month. The in-laws did, but they weren't thrilled. Daycare closed for an entire month? That would never happen in the US.
yep, very normal scenario.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 PM

Oh-eve, may I ask something else? As I understand, German is your native language. Do you think it is beautiful, or not? Just want to hear your opinion

Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Oh-eve, may I ask something else? As I understand, German is your native language. Do you think it is beautiful, or not? Just want to hear your opinion
I don't like it. It sounds harsh. Not as strong as Russian, but harsh. I never knew until I moved to the US and didn't speak German for half a year.

Then I called my sister and thought "OMG, that's how we sound like??"

The only "worse" sounding languages I can think of to me are Arabic and Turkish.

English is so much softer. Even when you guys swear, it doesn't sound harsh.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM

102,370 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:
I don't like it. It sounds harsh. Not as strong as Russian, but harsh. I never knew until I moved to the US and didn't speak German for half a year.

The only "worse" sounding languages I can think of to me are Arabic and Turkish.

Worse-sounding: Dutch. More guttural even than German. German isn't bad when you get used to it. And what's this about Russian? Please. I never noticed anything about Russian being harsh or unpleasant-sounding....

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,907,353 times
For me there is only one con, the climate (cold oceanic/semi continental), but for me it's a mighty one.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Worse-sounding: Dutch. More guttural even than German. German isn't bad when you get used to it. And what's this about Russian? Please. I never noticed anything about Russian being harsh or unpleasant-sounding....

Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I think you sound beautiful. Herrrlichhh

I remember one time I went inside a church in Germany and stayed there for over an hour just because I enjoyed listening to the minister's German so much. English is not ugly either, but to me it is a bit bland. German has character. And it can be very sensual and even... ahem... arousing when spoken by the right person.

Some day I'd like to learn Dutch as well. I've heard so much about it's ugliness that I have a feeling I will actually like it

Last edited by Norne; 11-12-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I think you sound beautiful. Herrrlichhh

I remember one time I went inside a church in Germany and stayed there for over an hour just because I enjoyed listening to the minister's German so much. English is not ugly either, but to me it is a bit bland. German has character. And it can be very sensual and even... ahem... arousing when spoken by the right person.

Some day I'd like to learn Dutch as well. I've heard so much about it's ugliness that I have a feeling I will actually like it
I find Dutch funny because I can sort of understand it and they have lots of words that are funny to Germans and have a different meaning in Germany. I will never forget when I passed a street sign in Holland that said "Lange Voorhaut" which means "long foreskin' in German but I am pretty sure their meaning is something else. Or maybe not - which would be even more funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe