Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidize View Post
The UK only signed up for the EEC, which was based on trade. We never signed up to belong to a political group where the top politicians aren't even elected.

For me personally, I would prefer the EU to go back to being mainly about trade, and not much more.

I am hoping that if the UK leaves, other countries who are unhappy with the EU too, will follow.
Good post, I don't want to be ruled from Belgium or Germany or from anywhere in Europe for that matter. I have nothing against European people but do I feel they don't particularly like us (as some of these posts show). Why cant the EU be about trade for the benefit of all? I think immigration into many European countries is simply too much, the resources in the UK are stretched to breaking point, the country is simply far too small for such a population, and I simply don't want the laws of this country made by politicians that neither myself or my fellow countrymen didn't vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good post, I don't want to be ruled from Belgium or Germany or from anywhere in Europe for that matter. I have nothing against European people but do I feel they don't particularly like us (as some of these posts show). Why cant the EU be about trade for the benefit of all? I think immigration into many European countries is simply too much, the resources in the UK are stretched to breaking point, the country is simply far too small for such a population, and I simply don't want the laws of this country made by politicians that neither myself or my fellow countrymen didn't vote for.
I actually think that the free movement of people is a great idea and gives us many benefits to study and explore work/business opportunities in Europe.

BUT, the idea that anyone can come and start receiving benefits and apply for social housing straight away is ridiculous.

The problem isn't free movement of people, the problem is not having a minimum "living wage" even for temporary workers, working holidays, etc. and allowing people to use British resources without having contributed first, i.e. after 4 years.

The free movement of people encourages dynamism and is a good thing, it just needs to be implemented better with restrictions and perhaps a (free/small fee) Visa Waiver program so that we know WHO is coming in.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:15 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
I am with Boris Johnson now, the EU does not equal Europe, to not rate the EU does not mean you hate Germany, France, Belgium ect; If you are from Bulgaria, Poland and Romania and you come to England, and you need benefits ( from hard working Brits and taxes from pensioners-don't forget that, its not magic money) then you should not be here. The EU is not Europe. This is a Franco-German experiment. Free movement is great if you go to a job and start to pay taxes toward your rent. Britain will hopefully start the ball rolling and countries such as Denmark will join us.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
We have nothing against British people but only against British leaders and their constant blackmailing. The special status which you've just gotten is just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If UK wants to change EU, it must stop blackmailing the countries which are part of it, start being a valuable member, finding allies and ask for gradual changes instead of simply finding its way out of it. And don't start complaining when you leave, exports fall and unemployment is on the up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I actually think that the free movement of people is a great idea and gives us many benefits to study and explore work/business opportunities in Europe.

BUT, the idea that anyone can come and start receiving benefits and apply for social housing straight away is ridiculous.

The problem isn't free movement of people, the problem is not having a minimum "living wage" even for temporary workers, working holidays, etc. and allowing people to use British resources without having contributed first, i.e. after 4 years.

The free movement of people encourages dynamism and is a good thing, it just needs to be implemented better with restrictions and perhaps a (free/small fee) Visa Waiver program so that we know WHO is coming in.
It's up to the UK to change that and not up to the European Union. I find it logical that people coming to a new country must be helped to set up a business or to receive benefits while they are in the hunt for a job. The amount of immigrants won't diminish anyway if the same politicians are in charge

Last edited by improb; 02-21-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 01:35 AM

69 posts, read 58,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
The fastest growing party: the UKIP?

They started with the narrative "the world isn't just Europe" and attempt to attract more Muslim votes from naturalized refugees or British-Pakistanis for example.
Farage for example said he doesn't want to live next to neighboor from Eastern Europe while at the same time completely disagrees with Donald Trump's policies for Muslim's ban into his country.
I think you are misunderstanding politics in the UK.

Farage's aim is to get the UK out of the EU, and to be able to control immigration. And considering we are now having a referendum, he has come close to succeeding. However, he is an MEP and not an MP in the UK.

The UKIP party only has one MP in the whole of the UK - and that's not even Farage as he didn't get enough votes! So, UKIP are not growing fast.

As for Donald Trump, the UK still is suffering with 'racist' syndrome where if anyone says anything about problems with certain communities etc, they get called a racist. So, I think many politicians jumped on the bandwagon of saying they disagreed with Trump's comment on pausing immigration from the MENA countries, regardless of what they personally thought. But this is only IMHO.

Personally, I like the Poles (assuming you are Polish), and they tend to be hard-workers.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:

I disagree with the free movement of people. Personally, I would like the UK to adopt the Australian immigration system (adapted to suit us). That way, we only get the people we want.

After all, considering we have many young people struggling to find work in the UK, I think we only need a certain number of coffee barristers and waiters coming into the country.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:

Fun fact: the benefits problem is pretty much a British one. Your governments just fails to implemented proper legislation to restrict slackers from claiming money.

In any case, I like Britain and I think it would be beneficial for all if they stay within the union. Now, it's up to them to decide on it. One should be clear, though. If they vote out, they are out. It shouldn't be the cause for the ultimate opt-out: all the benefits without membership.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
We have nothing against British people but only against British leaders and their constant blackmailing. The special status which you've just gotten is just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If UK wants to change EU, it must stop blackmailing the countries which are part of it, start being a valuable member, finding allies and ask for gradual changes instead of simply finding its way out of it. And don't start complaining when you leave, exports fall and unemployment is on the up.

It's up to the UK to change that and not up to the European Union. I find it logical that people coming to a new country must be helped to set up a business or to receive benefits while they are in the hunt for a job. The amount of immigrants won't diminish anyway if the same politicians are in charge
The UK is only just one voice out of 28 countries. To us, it looks like we have no influence whatsoever, but we are paying a shed load of money into it.

What Cameron managed to negotiate on our behalf was just plain pathetic IMHO (although I wouldn't have been happy unless we could control our immigration, and the EU had already said a big fat 'NO' to us ever being able to do that).

The EU does need reforming, but I can't see it doing so. Look how badly the countries are dealing with the migration crises. They can't agree on anything, nothing sensible ever seems to get done, and Merkel is trying to push her own agenda on others. It's not surprising that certain countries are taking matters into their own hands to try to protect their borders, and their citizens.

The EU may have started with great aims, but it has really lost it's way IMHO.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
That's true

He isn't wrong on this matter though, Britain has held EU hostage since Thatcher's rise. We can keep going even without them but now they get to have a special status since European parliament's economic policies won't be valid towards all the financial institutions registered in the City. They have been basically blackmailing EU for years now and EU finally gave in to their requests.
While not a citizen of an EU country, I have lived in the EU for more than sixteen years, and have absolutely no intention of ever returning to the country of which I am a citizen. Thus, as I have lived here and do plan to continue to live here, I have "a dog in this fight," so to speak.

Most of the British I meet do not identify as Europeans (and are, in fact, rather put off by that suggestion), and they are convinced they possess an indefinable specialness that sets them ever apart from the rest of the human herd. It is this feral bent that seem to be most in evidence once the fabled man in the street is asked "Why vote no?"

The U.K. came into the E.U. only when it felt it desperately needed to, once those circumstances that created their desperation changed it no longer liked the opportunity it had chosen to take. Mr. Cameron, for example, has allies in the E.U. that are interested in various reforms, but he has repeatedly shown no interest in actually working with them. If the campaigners of the U.S. Republican party and their foaming at the mouth supporters have looked much like a circus run amok, the Brexit campaign in the U.K. will, I believe, manage to make the American fandango look almost thoughtful and dignified. The No campaigners will do it like Trump, and Boris Johnson may have both the hair and acting skill for the part.

I believe that most British will vote to leave. Fine, done, go. Speaking for myself, it will be a pleasure not to hear from them.

That decision made, there will be very difficult adjustments and times for both the U.K. and the E.U. My interest in what happens to the U.K. is limited to what impact its gyrations would have on the E.U. and it peoples. My own feelings of concern and loyalty have to do with the country in which I live and the European Union of which it is a part.

Last edited by kevxu; 02-22-2016 at 02:53 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
While not a citizen of an EU country, I have lived in the EU for more than sixteen years, and have absolutely no intention of ever returning to the country of which I am a citizen. Thus, as I have lived here and do plan to continue to live here, I have "a dog in this fight," so to speak.

Most of the British I meet do not identify as Europeans (and are, in fact, rather put off by that suggestion), and they are convinced they possess an indefinable specialness that sets them ever apart from the rest of the human herd. It is these attitudes that seem to be most in evidence once the fabled man in the street is asked "Why vote no?"

The U.K. came into the E.U. only when it felt it desperately needed to, once those circumstances that created their desperation changed it no longer liked the opportunity it had chosen to take. If the campaigners of the U.S. Republican party and their foaming at the mouth supporters have looked much like a circus run amok, the Brexit campaign in the U.K. will, I believe, manage to make the American fandango look almost thoughtful and dignified. The No campaigners will do it like Trump, and Boris Johnson may have both the hair and acting skill for the part.

I believe that most British will vote to leave. Fine, done, go. Speaking for myself, it will be a pleasure not to hear from them.

That decision made, there will be very difficult adjustments and times for both the U.K. and the E.U. My interest in what happens to the U.K. is totally confined to what impact it would have on the E.U. and it peoples. My own feelings of concern and loyalty have to do with the country in which I live, and for the European Union of which it is a part.
How can British people not be Europeans when we live in the European continent? I can assure you, it is quite impossible for us to physically leave Europe

I want to leave the EU - not Europe as I adore Europe and the other Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe