Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM

202 posts, read 224,644 times

Advertisements

I applaud Brits. They should leave the EU. I like how the UK doesn't give a damn about German "leading role". They go their own way and say what they think is right and not what others want to hear.
I think the UK have given quite much a received almost nothing. Their membership in the EU is total "loss".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,996 times
I hope the UK decides to leave. Not because I dislike them ors but this damn Union needs a wake-up call so badly.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I applaud Brits. They should leave the EU. I like how the UK doesn't give a damn about German "leading role". They go their own way and say what they think is right and not what others want to hear.
I think the UK have given quite much a received almost nothing. Their membership in the EU is total "loss".
Don't know if you're a Monty Python fan but the EU has given us this and this

Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
I hope the UK decides to leave. Not because I dislike them ors but this damn Union needs a wake-up call so badly.
The union has already got a huge wake-up call. By one of your favourite topics. Estonia has maybe got 2, but the rest of Europe. They are called refugees.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:31 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The union has already got a huge wake-up call. By one of your favourite topics. Estonia has maybe got 2, but the rest of Europe. They are called refugees.
All a nuisance so far. The ship is still on a collision course with the iceberg.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Well, I'm sorry if the rest of the EU think that we are 'whining', but we deserve to have a whine after pouring BILLIONS of £s (yes, that's billions of £s, and not that failing €) into the EU over the years.

And what do we get back in return? The bullying EU forcing their ridiculous laws, which we don't want or need. We feel like we don't have any control over our own country anymore.

We have people piling into our country just so they can claim benefits, and send hard-earned British tax payers money back to another country for their 10+ children there.

Our National Health Service is dying on its knees because people are coming over to use that for free. We have hardly any social housing left available for people who have lived here and paid into the UK all of their lives. And people have to find school places for their kids miles away from where they live. There are just too many people here now and our infrastructure can't cope with it all.

All of this blackmail of "Who will the UK trade with if they leave?". Well, guess what - there is the rest of the world! Things do not revolve around just Europe for us.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the referendum in June. Any guesses as to which way I'll be voting?! After we leave, I wouldn't be surprised if other countries follow, before the EU eventually collapses in on itself. There's never going to be this 'United States Of Europe'.

PS/ I have nothing against any other European country or the people from that country - just the EU as an institution. And to answer the question about British people not feeling European, I think that's true for most of us. All of us already have two national identities already. For instance, myself being Welsh and British. We tend to see Europeans as 'everyone else in Europe'.
So did we but we are actively trying to change the EU and focusing on uniting countries as different from each other as Greece and Sweden can be while the UK has just been blackmailing EU parliament any time they could or blaming all kind of problems on it. Truth is, that immigration won't stop or won't diminish as much as you want it to if UK got out of EU, only people from continental Europe would stop coming but that's it.

The NHS is dying because of the several cuts it's received from your most conservative governments. No one will follow, i don't know of any other country where polling actually showed people in favour of leaving, maybe Greece but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidize View Post
The UK is only just one voice out of 28 countries. To us, it looks like we have no influence whatsoever, but we are paying a shed load of money into it.

What Cameron managed to negotiate on our behalf was just plain pathetic IMHO (although I wouldn't have been happy unless we could control our immigration, and the EU had already said a big fat 'NO' to us ever being able to do that).

The EU does need reforming, but I can't see it doing so. Look how badly the countries are dealing with the migration crises. They can't agree on anything, nothing sensible ever seems to get done, and Merkel is trying to push her own agenda on others. It's not surprising that certain countries are taking matters into their own hands to try to protect their borders, and their citizens.

The EU may have started with great aims, but it has really lost it's way IMHO.
The EU is a one time chance for European countries to stay relevant in an always more globalized world, there are problems with the EU such as the excessively high amounts of bureaucrats into it but that can be fixed with internal reform. It's a shame you can't see nothing ever getting done but that must be because the positive things that get approved there are ignored by your country's media
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
UK should have fought Germany and imposed its leadership but it cowardly gave up.

British people will regret leaving the very day they have to get a visa approved and spend unnecessary money to take the Eurostar to Paris or the day that the price of their fligth to Spain gets bumped, ecc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
if there is a Brexit, brace yourself for more.
Here's what Richard Branson has to say...

it would be a good thing, though.
Europe needs more sovereignty and a breakup of
the central bank's control. States need to print their own money
again and the people have the power. I'm intrigued by the
Degrowth movement. Degrowth realizes that success cannot be
measured in money.
Degrowth is interesting as an economical concept but we don't know how that'll work as it's pretty much untested, Italy's Five Star Movement has a minority who constantly advocates for it. I wonder how it'd work out

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Nonetheless I found ludicrous how Britain complains constantly about refugees when she is one of the main cause for the situation.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
London alone is over a 800 billion euros economy, that's more than the whole of Switzerland, although there will be challenges, I'm sure we'll manage no matter how much hate the other Euro countries want to throw at us.
It's not really hate we are throwing at you. For years you are now threatening to leave the EU. So far everybody begged the UK to stay. The reaction so far: "We can decide on our own!".

Now that you got your referendum, the rest of the EU is telling you the consequences of leaving the EU and that gets interpreted as hostility? Sorry, but I don't get it. Sure, you will probably get a deal with the EU that fits your agenda. But that works both ways.

I'm looking forward to the day when Boris gets told that London's banks won't get easy access to the rest of the EU and that clearing houses will lose the right to handle euro transactions. Then again, he probably won't be mayor of London anymore, so he probably won't give a ****.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:22 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Nonetheless I found ludicrous how Britain complains constantly about refugees when she is one of the main cause for the situation.

I think that the EU is devoting too much time to UK's tantrums. They won't leave with or without Brexit.
They are using the EU as internal politics battleground.
They should realise they have not been an empire during the last 70 years, and that you can't oppose the EU as Asterix and Obelix. They have everything to loose.
But really, who cares if they leave?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:03 AM

319 posts, read 395,280 times
Norway and Switzerland still have freedom of movement, even though they are outside the EU, right? So the UK might end up the same. If you are over 40-50 years old (majority of UKIP voters are), you probably don't want free movement, but the younger generation has different views.

My cousin's bf is British and he and virtually all of his friends are in favour of staying in the EU. (all are under 30yrs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe