Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Just how much support is there for the EU, in the various countries? Besides the elites, that is.
A better question to ask is: what is the source of the poll? Western EU claims 99% of Eastern Europe worship the eu because benefits...

If the poll is Russian, it's vice-versa: 99% dislike the EU because "communism was better".

I'd say in Eastern Europe at least it's something like 60% anti-EU and 40% support, if we're to believe independent researchers. There's growing sentiment against in countries like Slovakia, Czech Republic etc.
In 10 years it will be 80% against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 03:41 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Though nobody wants to threaten the UK, don't even think that the EU would just go on as business as usual. It would be the 60 million pop and 3 trillion GDP vs the EU's 450 million pop and 15 trillion GDP. The EU would do everything it can to get the best negotiating result as possible, as it after all it's in a dominating position. Secondly, the EU could try to extort brexited Britain in any way possible when the opportunity arises.

Ok, I understand that the net contribution of the UK to the EU is around £8 billion annually and it's a big number. Finland's net contribution is £625 million, and that sounds as an acceptable figure, right? But divide the numbers with the population - every Finn person pays around £20 more than a Brit. And we are quite happy in the EU, though necessarily not so much right now in the €. But that's another story.

13% of the annual GDP of Britain comes from trade in the common market - the EU. That is about £261 billion every year. Say that the UK could immediately regain 50% of this in separate negotiations. The temporary deficit would the equivalent of 31 years of the net payments to the EU. And dream on with independent trade negotiations with say, Siam, Upper Volta, Rhodesia and the dominion of Newfoundland and Labrador. So how much does the EU membership really cost?

And what about Scotland? They were already close leaving the Union, and what if they think that they should be in the EU? Another referendum? The City of London has already warned about dire consequences if the brexit happens, and so does many economics. Meanwhile the countries in the EU would suffer individually, but in a much lower scale. For example Britain is Finland's 6th largest import/export partner, but a brexit would mean a 0.02% drop in our GDP annually. Britain is Finland's largest buyer of wood-based products, but hey, if you don't want to play in the common market, we can sell them to Portugal or something. And what if France and Germany pulls the plug on British exports and imports? They can find new markets, but boy would Britain be in trouble.

The EU can deal with a brexit, but ideologically and politically likeminded countries would lose one of the strongest allies, namely The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Luxembourg. And first and foremost Ireland. Then we would be under the total influence of the German-French axis without any opposition. Although we might forgive, we couldn't forget. In a case of a brexit why just leave the European community? Why not haul your island behind Greenland and you can be STRONK harrassing Québec or some ice bears?

Brexit is bad for the UK and it's bad for Europe. It's also bad for NATO. I hope from all of my heart that Britain remains in the EU. For the sake of all of us.

Eventhough my inner British Bulldog, doesn't like what you are saying at all

I cant fault any of the main points you make

I think Britain should remain in, but without doubt the EU needs reform. It is too opaque and too unaccountable in many ways.

There is no doubt either party could survive without the other. Britain would probably have to become a bit more competitive, but if it plays it's cards right there is no reason why it couldnt thrive like other Anglosphere countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada and dare I say it America.

The EU would probably survive without Britain, but Britain leaving would cause damage. It would undermine the legitimacy of the project. It may also spur other countries like Sweden, Denmark and perhaps Finland to debate leaving especially if the Britain thrives outside...

As for the Greenland remark, you joke but that is how some Brits see Britain. I recall a my old english teacher looking at a map of Europe and saying "This here is Britain and the landmass over there is Europe!". One of the boys responded "But sir, are we not in Europe?" and my teacher responded "Absolutely not"..

Old 05-21-2016, 04:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
The EU would probably survive without Britain, but Britain leaving would cause damage. It would undermine the legitimacy of the project. It may also spur other countries like Sweden, Denmark and perhaps Finland to debate leaving especially if the Britain thrives outside...
Political experts claim that a brexit would not cause contamination. Nobody else would be leaving the EU, but it would tie Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, The Netherlands, Austria and others even closer to Germany. This is quite contrary what the brexit lobby wants and claims.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 AM

570 posts, read 604,986 times
England should forget about their Empire. .-Is the law of history. .-
Currently outside the giant groups of countries can not be lived.-
Some believe that if England associated with its former colonies will remain as head of mouse .

The reality is that if it is not integrated in Europe until Scotland it will go with the UE .

And England finalize as only solution to survive to be a state over USA,.

A sad end for a great country.-

Old 05-21-2016, 05:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
I apologize that I recall neither title, nor author, but I came across a book once regarding the European Union. The British author analyzed the EU compared to the different political cultures of France, Britain, and Germany. The author concluded that the EU is based on French political culture.

During the last few years I've noticed people commenting online that the EU is beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire.

Would it make sense to think of the EU as a version of the Holy Roman Empire...influenced by French political culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe