Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times

Advertisements

In Latin America they not just colonized, but also came here to live. Latin americans are latins, we have latin ascendence in general.

But still I think it's funny when latins in Europe say that they're not latino, because to me the latin culture is very much detachable, being easily recognizable when compared to other countries of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 PM

African latin americans also have latin ascendence in general. They're considered latinos as well.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:11 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
In Latin America they not just colonized, but also came here to live. Latin americans are latins, we have latin ascendence in general.

But still I think it's funny when latins in Europe say that they're not latino, because to me the latin culture is very much detachable, being easily recognizable when compared to other countries of Europe.
I don't know any Portuguese person that calls himself a Latino in that lives in Portugal or the USA for that matter.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 PM

Basically they just invented other names that means the same thing.
There are portuguese that fell more comfortable with "mediterranean", although Portugal is not by the Mediterranean Sea but speaks a latin language and is super catholic.

If you check the english version of this article in Wikipedia https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_latina you'll see other stuff like "romance speaking" and whatever.

But the term Latin americans came because they were colonized by countries of the Latin Europe.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Quote:
Basically they just invented other names that means the same thing.
There are portuguese that fell more comfortable with "mediterranean", although Portugal is not by the Mediterranean Sea but speaks a latin language and is super catholic.

If you check the english version of this article in Wikipedia https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_latina you'll see other stuff like "romance speaking" and whatever.

But the term Latin americans came because they were colonized by countries of the Latin Europe.
Mediterraneandoesn't mean anything either. Catholicism is dying in Portugal (yay!) along with the older generations. As you said before Latin America was coined by Napoleon to designate countries in the American continent colonized by Portugal and Spain, but that is a geopolitical term. Later on the US hijacked the "Latino" concept to designate its population originating from South of the border, and then it gained a ethnic connotation but it makes only sense in that context. Very much like calling African American a descendant of Moroccan immigrants would be inappropriate because AF really means "Black person of slave ancestry".

Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM

Once more I affirm it means a lot.
When I say culture I don't mean that all countries or people are the same, eat the same thing, think in the same way and dress the same clothes.

But for sure there are similarities that for an outsider is easily recognizable.

Secularism is growing everywhere in the west, but the influence of the Catholic Church is stronger in the culture of the Latin World than other parts of Europe.

Even today the political spectrum of the Latin Europe is way different from Northern Europe. In Latin America where it is added to a colonial past, it's chaotic until nowadays.

I've already mentioned other aspects that generally are justifiably noted as latin characteristics.

Maybe you want to reinforce differences among latin european countries, but differences are a lot stronger in latin american ones. Here we had influences of native americans, former african slaves, even japaneses in countries like Peru and Brazil... and we are all also considered latinos.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:56 AM

54 posts, read 55,772 times
According to the South Americans I've spoken to, Latino is a US term with a lot of stereotypes attached to it.

Latinos are meant to look like the Aztec people from Mexico which is something most people don't resemble outside of Mexico. They are also supposedly fiery, family loving, salsa dancing which is pretty ridiculous as I spent time in Latin America and I can assure you they aren't all salsa dancers, many can't dance to save their lives, many aren't fiery nor they are family loving, some love their families, some don't.

It's also true that South America is very ethnically diverse, you have european, african, asian, indigenous people with a diverse number of origins in all these countries, while once again in the US latino means people who look Aztec from Mexico and any one who doesn't look "Mexican" is often put under scrutiny when it comes to being Latino.

This is obviously understandable as a considerably large percentage of the Latin Americans in the US come mostly just from Mexico, while there are very small numbers of Chileans, Argentines, Uruguayans, Paraguayans etc.

15% of the US population has roots in Latin America but if you didn't count Mexicans and central Americans and their descendants, only around 2% of the population would have Latin american roots. That is how disproportionally Mexican and Central America the population of Latin American roots are in the US. So it is obvious understandable that an Argentinian will find the term Latin not very fitting for example.

Another thing Americans tend to call Latin Americans "Spanish" which is even more erroneous as Spanish means someone from Spain and not all latin Americans speak Spanish! I've also seen Americans calling Quebec people "French" which is also wrong as Quebecois are not French but Canadians.

It all goes down to America's ignorance.

Last edited by morga; 03-25-2016 at 02:18 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 847 times
Hello everybody I'm new to this forum! I wanted to make a thread about something but I guess it's not worth making it since it's not a big deal.

The thing is, I'm a latino man who is planning to move to Germany in some time but I'm a bit concerned about how I'm going to be seen by the regular people in Germany. I don't mean german people are racist at all because I know they aren't but since I'm not white I guess I'm going to get a lot of attention which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. To be more specific I'm wondering how hard (or easy?) it's going to be for a foreigner like me to date german women, yes I like german women a lot so I'd like to know beforehand how I'm going to be viewed by these lovely women, do they usually date foreigners? do they date people who aren't white? Is that a taboo in Germany?

By the way in case you're wondering, I'm mixed (I have black and white heritage), I look like Drake the rapper:

http://a3.files.biography.com/image/...cwMzI4ODQ3.jpg
http://www.bet.com/news/music/2016/0...usic-drake.jpg

I have several african features on my face like my nose or my curly hair and I'm also light-skinned just like Drake or maybe somewhat lighter than him.

Another thing: Would I be considered as a black person in Germany? I just want to know if the silly one-drop rule works in Germany as it does in the US.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:58 AM

54 posts, read 55,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azagthoth View Post
Hello everybody I'm new to this forum! I wanted to make a thread about something but I guess it's not worth making it since it's not a big deal.

The thing is, I'm a latino man who is planning to move to Germany in some time but I'm a bit concerned about how I'm going to be seen by the regular people in Germany. I don't mean german people are racist at all because I know they aren't but since I'm not white I guess I'm going to get a lot of attention which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. To be more specific I'm wondering how hard (or easy?) it's going to be for a foreigner like me to date german women, yes I like german women a lot so I'd like to know beforehand how I'm going to be viewed by these lovely women, do they usually date foreigners? do they date people who aren't white? Is that a taboo in Germany?

By the way in case you're wondering, I'm mixed (I have black and white heritage), I look like Drake the rapper:

I have several black features on my face like my nose or my curly hair and I'm also light-skinned just like Drake or maybe somewhat lighter than him.

Another thing: Would I be considered as a black person in Germany? I just want to know if the silly one-drop rule works in Germany as it does in the US.

Thanks a lot for reading!
Why do you Americans care so much about this?

No one cares, Germany is probably more multicultural than most of the US is. You walk around most large cities in Germany and you'll find blonde, black, brunettes, arabic, turkish, african, asian, brazilian, cuban, southern european, russian you name it!

In fact the Us is far more racially obsessed and bent on labeling people than Germany or Europe. In Europe no one will probably even call you latino they'll just refer to you as the American guy.

Last edited by morga; 03-25-2016 at 05:10 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
What could be more latino than this?!

If italians aren't latinos, latinos simply don't exist.
Ironic, as Cornetto is an Unilever brand, an Anglo-Dutch company.

You're correct. Latinos simply don't exist.

Italians are Italians, Spaniards are Spaniards, Portuguese are Portuguese and South Americans are South Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe