Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Spanish is an other language, but is still as close as french as German is to Dutch. Italian is even closer to french.
No, it's not. Dutch and German are much more similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 AM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
La Republique

Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 AM

184 posts, read 222,038 times
Quote:

The majority of french population still is catholic, even if actual przctice has fallen. It has fallen also in Spain, probably more quikly than here. That doesn't even is the question, since we speak here about cultural heritage, not individual religious practice. France identity, culture and mentallity has been shaped by 1600 years of catholicism, you canno't erase suddently all this past history. Protestantism was once stronger than it is, it it never really took roots and didn't shaped much french culture since most protestand left the country to settle in Germany, switzerland or the US, etc.
A big part of my family is protestant, from Ardennes et Bretagne. I really don't lie.
As concerning religion we can't consider catholicism in France nowadays as catholicism in southern Europe or in Poland. France is probably the most atheist country of Europe with the Czech Republic. The french churches are empty and there is a phenomenon of "christianophoby" among people and médias. It's really not the case of Spain or Italy. Besides, since 1789 catholicism is not anymore the state "official" religion.

This map shows the percents of Europeans saying that God doesn't exist (2005). France has the highest percent. It's hard to compare the situation with Spain or Italy.

(source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analys..._l%27athéisme)

Quote:
Spanish is an other language, but is still as close as french as German is to Dutch. Italian is even closer to french.
I know. It doesn't matters that, as a french person, I don't understand spanish. As I don't understand german.

Last edited by arthurrdim; 02-27-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 AM

Cultural Catholics can be atheistics or indifferent.
They can even be communists or fascists.
France is a Cultural Catholic country.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 AM

Obviously France has christian roots. I don't say the opposite. I simply say, that the cultural predominance of catholicism in France isn't as strong as in southern europe and maybe in Latin America. In France there always has been a kind of distrust towards religion (especially since 1789), something very strong called "anticlericanism" and a lot of jokes about religion.

Last edited by arthurrdim; 02-27-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM

Cultural predominance of catholicism is as strong in France as in Spain.

Distrust of religion? There was a civil war here and most priests or a large part of them were killed...70 years ago...

There was a Catholic dictatorship that also generated a lot of HATRED against the church...40 years ago.

Anticlericalism was stronger here...

But history counts more, Hispania and the Gallia has been Catholic during the last 1700 years...

Too many years.

Look at gay wedding...here nobody cares, if a priest says anything people will be more in favour...but in France there's a powerful group of devout people.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:48 AM

I agree with you for the case of gay wedding.

I don't really know Spain, so I couldn't say what I don't know. I just try to speak honestly about catholicism in my country, about the phenomenon of "déchristianisation". I do believe too that France is a particularly atheist country in Europe and in the world. No more no less.

Last edited by arthurrdim; 02-27-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 AM

France is just like Spain in that respect.
Italy is just like Spain and France....but the Vatican is there, a great pull....just like Coca Cola and Atlanta..
But Italians, not different.
They can't close churches, were would tourists go!!
Italians have always been atheistics, always, they laught at everything!!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:07 AM

I don't have the same feeling since I work with Spaniards and Italians, but maybe I'm wrong

Old 02-27-2016, 09:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Cultural predominance of catholicism is as strong in France as in Spain.

Distrust of religion? There was a civil war here and most priests or a large part of them were killed...70 years ago...

There was a Catholic dictatorship that also generated a lot of HATRED against the church...40 years ago.

Anticlericalism was stronger here...

But history counts more, Hispania and the Gallia has been Catholic during the last 1700 years...

Too many years.

Look at gay wedding...here nobody cares, if a priest says anything people will be more in favour...but in France there's a powerful group of devout people.
That's true. Nowadays Spain is not very religious anymore. It still be culturally catholic. I discussed gay marriage question with a Spanish college two year ago, he was actually surprised by the strong division of french society on this forum. Stereotypes picture France as a very unreligious country and Spain as a very religious country when there is clearly not that distinction anymore.

I.m myself not catholic, not baptised, not practicing, but I aknoledge being part of a country that had a catholic cultural legacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe