Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 AM

426 posts, read 394,671 times

Advertisements

If he says he feels more at home in Latin America than in Scandinavia, Laponia, Iceland, Manchuria, Prussia, etc, that he finds that the culture in those countries is far more alien to him... and he's been to all those places.

He should know better than people that have never been out of their homes and that are not French, right?

Last edited by Krokodill; 02-27-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Haha, it's not. I haven't been in South America, but I've been several times in France and find the overall culture quite similar to ours, or... GERMAN.
Understanding a culture is much more than having a superfical persepction of how a place "look". Of course France is a European country like your country is, or like Germany, Italy, Russia or Spain are...

I'm aware of your bias and dislike towards Northern Europe, but as 'Latin' as you think you are, you would blend in well in Scandinavia, while a Southern American would stick out as a sore thumb.[/quote]

I.m sorry if you took it badly but I have no bias towards northern Europe. I just feel northern European cultures are just world appart from my point of view, culturally-wise. That's how i feel it each time I come to northern Europe.

Of course on terms of developpement, politics and economy we are much closer to scandinavia than to the poorest hispanic countries (well I won't consider Finland to be scandinavian at all, by the way, but that's not the subject and I do not want to get in that polemic). But that's not the subject, culturally-wise I feel Scandinavia, and germanic countries as a whole as a whole different culture. Considering Finland, I admid that is a country that I do not know much, but from a superficial point of view it seems for me to be as foreign as would be Russia (sorry if you take it bad but this is how I feel).

Last edited by french user; 02-27-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurrdim View Post
I just checked "Nathalie Cardone" on wikipedia. Actually she's from a sicilian father and a spanish mother. She was known for two songs 15 years ago, and was produced by Laurent Boutonnat, the producer of Mylène Farmer (who is much more famous and "french" than Nathalie Cardone).
You seem to have a quite exclusive definition of frenchness. This woman was born french, raised in Pau (maybe you consider this city too close to Spain to be really french... Coming from somone originary from the Flemish city of Lille... A city that has for longtime been more related to the low countries than to France.

Quote:
Manu Chao, I remember and that was great. But except a few artists that I don't really know, the anglo-saxon influence is much more present on the french music and french pop than a "latino" one.
That anglo-saxon influence is an effect of the fact that globalisation is lead by anglo-speaking nation (mainly Us and the UK). That the same in all the world.. It often led us to lost the memory of our cultural roots
Listen to some pop music from Japan, Korea, or whatever, they will be much more influenced by Anglo-Saxon culture, wich is very exotic to them, than by much closer cultures than are not seen as "global" or "modern"

Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM

Charles Romouald Gardés
Occitan

French User

There was a strong immigration from France to Latin America through Barcelona and Toulon. I found many retired French-Argentinians in St.Ciprian.

The ships that went from Genoa to Latin America also stopped illegally several times in France to pick illegal immigrants, also many deserters.

The history of French in some Latin American countries can be read...in a semi-fictional manner- in Papillon.

Low countries..former Spanish province...jaja

261.020 franceses emigraron a la Argentina.2 De esta cifra, se estima que sólo 100.000 se radicaron de forma definitiva en el país.3 Hoy, más de 6 millones de argentinos tienen algún grado de ascendencia francesa (hasta un 17% de la población total).4

La primera oleada de franceses que llegó al país procedía sobre todo de las regiones meridionales de Aquitania y Mediodía-Pirineos. Se embarcaban en Burdeos rumbo a América. Los vasco-franceses constituían además un grupo numéricamente importante.5

Last edited by Krokodill; 02-27-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:16 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was treated well in Spain, it's usually South Americans that get the hate. I'm Puerto Rican but I looked like a native Canary Islander in Tenerife, and looked like a "Mexican actor you see in novellas" on the mainland. That was probably it. In the UK, I got creepy stares from people when I was together with my wife and got a nice "go home fookin' Paki" before.
I'm Latino and was born and raised in the UK, have lived here all my life. I look very stereotypically "Latin" if indeed there is a stereotype and I have never once experienced this in my life. How funny.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Understanding a culture is much more than having a superfical persepction of how a place "look". Of course France is a European country like your country is, or like Germany, Italy, Russia or Spain are...

I.m sorry if you took it badly but I have no bias towards northern Europe. I just feel northern European cultures are just world appart from my point of view, culturally-wise. That's how i feel it each time I come to northern Europe.

Of course on terms of developpement and economy we are much closer to scandinavia than to the poorest hispanic countries (well I won't consider Finland to be scandinavian at all, by the way, but that's not the subject and I do not want to get in that polemic)
Maybe you should visit Finland. Might be quite an eye-opener for you. I've worked with people from France, Britain, Italy, Russia and the Baltics, and I can with a clear consciense say that both Brits and French are overwhealmingly the most easy to deal with. Even above Estonians who are the same small language group as Finns.

your edit:

Quote:
Considering Finland, I admid that is a country that I do not know much, but from a superficial point of view it seems for me to be as foreign as would be Russia (sorry if you take it bad but this is how I feel).
my edit: Ok, good that you admit you don't know too much about us, but I can tell you that Finland isn't some "Western-Eastern" hybrid despite the geographical position, but thoroughly mentally, socially and culturally a Scandinavian country. We have our genuine language and some traits in our culture, but as a whole we are maybe 95% Western and 5% Eastern. 90%-10% if you want to gamble big time. Much of our cultural heritage stems from Sweden and Northern Germany, so those are the cultures we feel 'natural' about. So are English, Scottish, Dutch, Flemish and Austrian cultures. After that comes the French. I know that a typical French person has more of the same mentality as I have than a Lithuanian person has, though the Lithuanian is geographically closer to me.

Last edited by Ariete; 02-27-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 AM

Pablofuerte

I have the kindest and sweetest woman taking care of my mother, and she's 100 American from Honduras. She draws attention because she's attractive even though she's no child. She talks very good Spanish, more understandable than many southeners.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
The video that you show of "musette" is very specific from a régional area in France.
No. The Video show dance is just waltz. The bal-musette is a kind of typical french party of the 19th/20th century that was popular in the whole country, not only in one specific region. Musette actually gain from Paris itself. It is in no way possible to consider it as a regional folklore.

The music played in bal musette was based on three kinds of dances:
- the Java, which is typically french
- the Tango, which is argentinean but had since the begining a strong presence in musette
- the waltz

Quote:
We are not catholic anymore (a very large majority). You don't remember that, if you look at french history, France was once protestant too.
The majority of french population still is catholic, even if actual przctice has fallen. It has fallen also in Spain, probably more quikly than here. That doesn't even is the question, since we speak here about cultural heritage, not individual religious practice. France identity, culture and mentallity has been shaped by 1600 years of catholicism, you canno't erase suddently all this past history. Protestantism was once stronger than it is, it it never really took roots and didn't shaped much french culture since most protestand left the country to settle in Germany, switzerland or the US, etc.

Quote:
I'm french, I don't understand spanish even if I read, I can only recognize a few words.
Spanish is an other language, but is still as close as french as German is to Dutch. Italian is even closer to french.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:52 AM

Of course, even if we don't comply with Catholic religion....we will always be Cultural Catholics.
Notwithstanding that Catholicism is a sincretical religion that assimilated pagan gods.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:53 AM

184 posts, read 222,038 times
Quote:
You seem to have a quite exclusive definition of frenchness. This woman was born french, raised in Pau (maybe you consider this city too close to Spain to be really french... Coming from somone originary from the Flemish city of Lille... A city that has for longtime been more related to the low countries than to France.
I don't speak about the cities locations... Of course Pau is french, as Lille or Caen. I mean that, when you have parents from Sicile and Italy, and that you sing "Hasta Siempre" in spanish, there is nothing french in all that and nothing could be linked with the french culture.

I could say that, if I had swedish parents and I would sing a swedish song in swedish, it wouldn't be french at all.

There is no specific cultural links between France and Latin America.

Last edited by arthurrdim; 02-27-2016 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe