Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:51 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times

Advertisements

As for where next attack will be, maybe Denmark or Netherlands. Especially Denmark has a large component of foreign fighters particularly in Aahrus and Aalborg. Aahrus is also the European Capital of Culture of 2017 so the attack could even be symbolic. Neighbourhoods such as Brabrand and Gellerup are going the same way as Molenbeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In the West people become terrorists pretty much of the same reasons that if they would join organised crime groups, like the Italian Mafia in the US, Russian Mafia, Cosa Nostra, Crips, Bloods, Hell's Angels, Camorra, 'Ndrangheta... Frustrated young men without education, home, direction, hope of future and reason in life. They will find a home in any radical group which can exploit them.
The way Molenbeek is described, it reminds me of the most deprived neighbourhood of Southern Italy. The way people have a mob mentality of the us against them, the way most people are probably scared by what's happening but at the same time also scared to put what scares them to an end and to collaborate with Belgian authorities (omertà).

The lack of education, direction, hope and the feeling of having been abandoned by the State simply make extremist movements of all kinds appealing, a Muslim who hasn't succeeded to integrate in his host country is obviously much more likely to take up arms in the name of Islamic Fundamentalist Group

These phenomenon reinforces what i wrote after the Paris attacks and was largely ignored on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
so what response can we expect to see from the Belgian government?

I predict they will condemn the attack and then hold a vigil for the victims, but then reassure everyone that these are the same people the refugees are running from, immigration policies will not change and then attack right wing groups for being xenophobes.

and then perhaps will all hear from Sweden's foreign minister how all Islamic terror is the fault of Israel.
The problem is that the perpetrators of these attacks are probably born and bred Belgians. The issue isn't with immigration policies but with integration policies and with how present the State is in neighbourhoods such as Molenbeek and sections of small sized cities such as Verviers or Mechelen

Last edited by improb; 03-22-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
I did not know that the situation in Sweden was that bad. I live in Oslo, Norway, btw. I watched a Norwegian true crime documentary some days ago. It was about a prolific drug smuggler. He said that Swedish prisions were very different from the Norwegian ones. In the latter, gang activity is more or less non-existent. In Swedish prisions, especially in the Malmö and Sthlm region, gangs are common. The gang members are mostly non-ethnic Swedes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42jpuXJPk0w

What is it about Molenbeek? The Belgian suburb that was a base for Paris terror attacks

Old 03-22-2016, 02:17 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
PM of Bulgaria had blamed the attacks to Western EU policies:

https://www.rt.com/news/336656-bruss...cks-eu-policy/

Though seeing how the source is RT the title may also be read as: "We want Russia to invade Eastern Europe again".

Assuming the story is non-lie, I agree.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Religion is a tool and a pretext, as you said. It was so during the crusades, the colonisation of America, the reformation, the 30-year war and so on. One could claim that the German invasion of the USSR in WWII was almost a religious zeal of destroying the 'subhumans'. But historically religion has been only a tool for recruitment. In the end, it's all about power and influence.

People have ideas, I have ideas about many things. And it's our duty as open Western democracies to deprive these fanatics of their tools. But it has to be done in the right way. Just nuking the Middle East won't solve anything. The surviviors will be even more radicalised and with their parents dying in their arms they will only swear revenge to the evil Western fighter planes.

In the West people become terrorists pretty much of the same reasons that if they would join organised crime groups, like the Italian Mafia in the US, Russian Mafia, Cosa Nostra, Crips, Bloods, Hell's Angels, Camorra, 'Ndrangheta... Frustrated young men without education, home, direction, hope of future and reason in life. They will find a home in any radical group which can exploit them.
Excellent points. I've been wondering why no one has brought up the Crusades for a long time. There is no magic bullet to fix it.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Don't believe in anything "Holy", really...
The perpretrators can believe in Porky Pig and his "Holy Guide", but the cause won't have anything to do with Porky Pig.

It doesn't matter what YOU believe - you're not strapping a bomb to your belt. What matters is what they believe apparently.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
?

Because I can't, if I was Jeezus then I'd had the power to substantiate the politics of whole continent...
You wrote "as usual, mayors will say..." As usual implies it happened before. Please point me to a high-profile case of terrorism where mayors blamed people from SE Europe while at the same time said radical islamism was good. Substantiate = add substance to your claim. AFAIK you are the only one who brought up SE European ethnicities in this thread.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,132 times
Quote:
Religion is a tool and a pretext, as you said. It was so during the crusades, the colonisation of America, the reformation, the 30-year war and so on. One could claim that the German invasion of the USSR in WWII was almost a religious zeal of destroying the 'subhumans'. But historically religion has been only a tool for recruitment. In the end, it's all about power and influence.

People have ideas, I have ideas about many things. And it's our duty as open Western democracies to deprive these fanatics of their tools. But it has to be done in the right way. Just nuking the Middle East won't solve anything. The surviviors will be even more radicalised and with their parents dying in their arms they will only swear revenge to the evil Western fighter planes.

I have to spread some reputation around, but great post!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I did not know that the situation in Sweden was that bad. I live in Oslo, Norway, btw. I watched a Norwegian true crime documentary some days ago. It was about a prolific drug smuggler. He said that Swedish prisions were very different from the Norwegian ones. In the latter, gang activity is more or less non-existent. In Swedish prisions, especially in the Malmö and Sthlm region, gangs are common. The gang members are mostly non-ethnic Swedes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42jpuXJPk0w

What is it about Molenbeek? The Belgian suburb that was a base for Paris terror attacks
Swedish cops are worthless if this video is representative of what is typical I never seen anything like that lol I'll take our cops in the US any day. Even with the occasional bad apple in the bunch.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Well I'd say only religions originated in the Middle East are about recruitment. Religions such as Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto etc. are pretty unambitious lol.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Once again, when will this craziness stop?
Maybe if more people put the Belgium flag over their Facebook profile...this time it might work. Seriously is anyone really that surprised? I did my college thesis on this very subject 11 years ago. A lot of people saw this coming but some people are just idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe