Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times

Advertisements

Nice photos. I'd like to be relaxing in either of those places!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Mexico speaks spanish, there are many cities that were founded when Mexico was the New Spain before the independence that have the same architecture than those found in Spain, although they got influenced by the culture here, Mexicans as well as Spaniards, look for any excuse to throw a party, the culture is laidback and relaxed, not too uptight or restrictive, people live to be happy, not to work or follow rules.

And even though I hate them, Mexico has bullfights too, lots of them.

Yet, Mexico is a very large country compared to Spain, which is about the size of Chihuahua, the largest State of Mexico, and it has several influences, the center of Mexico is very Mestizo, el Bajio is very spanish, and the states near the border are very americanized, the southeast is the most Indian of all, but even there you can find beautiful colonial cities like Campeche.

Btw, there is a Guadalajara in Spain and one in Mexico, there is a Celaya in Spain and one in Mexico, there is a Salamanca in Spain and one in Mexico, there is a Leon in Spain and one in Mexico, we could go on and on, but to have a better idea of what i'm saying you would need to visit both countries.

Glorieta de la cibeles Mexico city (GNU Image)

Glorieta de la Cibeles Madrid (licensed under the terms of the cc-by-2.0.)

Regards
If I didn't know where those pictures were taken, I could have guessed Paris or Rome.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Mexico certainly has a Spanish influence, but the Amerindian influence is huge also. I imagine Quebec has an English influence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would say New Mexico would be a better analogy.
True...Quebec is a province and NM is a state, whereas Mexico is a country.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
not much, bloody and brutal history of the the spanish invasion is quiet different.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 AM

526 posts, read 1,757,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Or is one more like the other?
No, haha. You should go to Quebec some time, it is more "French" than France. Its language is 18th century French frozen in time and they refuse to integrate any English vocabulary.

Mexico is not even made up of the same genetic stock as Spain first off. Secondly, the language is a bastardisation of true Castilian Spanish.

This is not a very good comparison.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
No, haha. You should go to Quebec some time, it is more "French" than France. Its language is 18th century French frozen in time and they refuse to integrate any English vocabulary.

Mexico is not even made up of the same genetic stock as Spain first off. Secondly, the language is a bastardisation of true Castilian Spanish.
In New Mexico, Spanish people speak a "frozen" colonial era Castilian Spanish, or at least people of my grandmother's generation did (many more Mexicans there now than there used to be). It differs enough to where my grandma's Mexican friends tease her for her word choices at times, and she has to remind them it's correct where she is from.

I think "bastardization" is a pretty harsh term though. I mean, you could say the same about American English....

Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
they refuse to integrate any English vocabulary.
Why should they?

Are you a big fan of 'Spanglish'?

Mixing languages is why English is so screwed up.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM

261 posts, read 668,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Or is one more like the other?
Well Quebec is nicer than France and is not a giant ghetto like France. Where as spain is generally nicer than Mexico, but the nice parts of mexico are better than spain because there are more rich people in mexico than spain

Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Well Quebec is nicer than France and is not a giant ghetto like France.
The question is have you ever been to Montreal, because frankly, the entire city looks like the worst parisian suburbs...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Well Quebec is nicer than France and is not a giant ghetto like France. Where as spain is generally nicer than Mexico, but the nice parts of mexico are better than spain because there are more rich people in mexico than spain
Spin it however you want, but Mexico is a dump compared to Spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe