Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 AM

261 posts, read 668,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Rich = Nice???

People in poor parts of Mexico are much more likely to be nice, honest, hospitable, friendly, than people in rich parts of either Mexico or Spain.

Where did you get your data? The per capita GDP in Spain is four times what it is in Mexico.
Yes the AVERAGE wage/ earnings in spain may be 2 times that of mexico in spain but in total mexica has 200 billion more dollars in total.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...e=eu&rank=9#fr
You see so there are some super rich mexicans like the world's richest man, and lots of rich mexican, but also lots of poor mexicans.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 AM

160 posts, read 342,611 times
Quebec is more white European/French than Mexico is Spanish. Culturally.

On the other hand Mexican Spanish is more similar to European variety than Quebecois French compared to European one.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Yes the AVERAGE wage/ earnings in spain may be 2 times that of mexico in spain but in total mexica has 200 billion more dollars in total.
It seems you don't understand very well what you wrote. GDP has nothing to do with wages or earning...

Quote:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...e=eu&rank=9#fr
You see so there are some super rich mexicans like the world's richest man, and lots of rich mexican, but also lots of poor mexicans.
So to you, there are more better places in Spain than Canada cos their GDP is higher showing they are more rich people in Spain than Canada

Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM

261 posts, read 668,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
It seems you don't understand very well what you wrote. GDP has nothing to do with wages or earning...

So to you, there are more better places in Spain than Canada cos their GDP is higher showing they are more rich people in Spain than Canada
It is possible but unlikely. Here is why, spain has average income and so does canada. Spain has more people and lower gdp per capita, there are not 50 million spainard living in dirt floors with no income to there name. In Mexico therre are huge income inequalities. But it still has lots of rich people in a dispropotionate amount. So if mexico has only 100 people, 70 would be dirt poor live in a shack, 20 would be middle class by western standards and the other 10 would be mega rich multi-billionaires or millionairs. If Canada and Spain had 100 people, you would have 10 poor people 80 middle class people 10 rich
Forbes' billionaires by country | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/3713080.html - broken link)
See Mexico and spain have the same amount of billionaires not even counting all those drug kingpings. What I am merely trying to show is that while spain is richer and nicer on average, there are parts of mexico equally or much nicer than spain because there exist a wealthy class of mexicans.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
This is all very nice, but then I guess one could pose the hypothetical equation:

(monetary income) = (worth as a human being)

And then we could attempt to ascertain the equation's validity...

In my view it is not a valid equation. And your opinion?

I would also conjecture that there is less emphasis placed on wealth by the average person in Mexico than the average person in Quebec. I don't know, perhaps I am wrong. But in general, it seems the latin/hispanic culture tends to do a little more living and a little less wealth-building in general.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,592 times
Well, I'm half Mexican/Spanish and have lived in both states and I'd say yes, although the former and especially the latter would disagree with such a comment. The similarities I speak of, are noted by the poster above-- " the desire to live a good life." The other crucial similarity is the collectivist/family oriented atmosphere. Now the biggest difference between Mexicans/Spainards is Philosophy -- which it pains me to say, I question of former has any!

BTW: I've lived in G.C, M.C and Madrid.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why is it that so many United Statsians don't have a clue about a province that is right over our northern border. There is Québec City... which is in the province of Québec.

Québec is close to 600,000 square miles. It's over double the size of Texas. When was the last time you saw a city that was double the size of Texas?

Québec is largely Francophone: there are about 5,800,000 French speakers there. That's way more than just a 'small part of Canada.' Many of these French speakers do not speak English at all (only about 41% report being able to speak English).

Québec
Lol, why is it that so many people think we are called "united statesians?" We're called AMERICANS! K, thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why is it that so many United Statsians don't have a clue about a province that is right over our northern border. There is Québec City... which is in the province of Québec.

Québec is close to 600,000 square miles. It's over double the size of Texas. When was the last time you saw a city that was double the size of Texas?

Québec is largely Francophone: there are about 5,800,000 French speakers there. That's way more than just a 'small part of Canada.' Many of these French speakers do not speak English at all (only about 41% report being able to speak English).

Québec
even still, you can't compare a province to a country. It's like apples & oranges. Mexico is a country, Quebec a province.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quebec is better compared to Puerto Rico.

Both were colonies seized by an English-speaking power in war. Yet both colonies, although politically integrated- much more in Quebec's case- have been able to retain a huge amount of cultural sovereignty and political autonomy.

Speaking to people of both areas often results in the same outlook. They are no longer part of their former mother country and do not wish to return to any association with it. Yet neither is truly part of the new reality. Both have had violent seperatist groups. Yet when given the chance to opt for independence, both decline. Both exist in a sort of halfway house or perpetual identity crisis.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Lol, why is it that so many people think we are called "united statesians?" We're called AMERICANS! K, thanks
Yes, we are Americans... right along with anyone else who lives in either North or South America.

In order to not imply that everyone else living in N/S America are not Americans, I have devised the term 'United Statsian' (actually, I'm sure it's been used before). So in essence, I am referring to we who live in this country by the name of this country.

How do you thing the rest of Europe would feel if suddenly, the Danes (those from Denmark) suddenly decided that they, and they alone, would be referred to as 'Europeans'? Or how about if the Mongolians decided that they and they alone were Asians? Or the Nigerians suddenly laid claim to the label Africans. So now those from Congo were no longer Africans.

So... since an Argentinian (or Canadian, or Uruguayan, etc) has just as much right to the label 'American' as we in the United States do, I thought it fitting to give us an actual name we rightfully have claim to: United Statsian (or if you wish, United Statesian).

And we all live happily ever after... K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe