Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
French and Italian speakers refer to people from the U.S. as états-unien and statunitense.

German speakers refer to people from the U.S. as "
U.S.-Amerikaner" (U.S. American)

Spanish and Portuguese speakers refer to the people from the U.S. as
estadounidense and estadunidense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I hate to burst your bubble.

I have lived in Europe and visited there numerous times as well as spending time in Canada and Latin America as well. Nobody uses USA or United States. Everybody says America. I myself used USA endlessly, but to no avail.

Everyone from the Tundra to Tierra del Fuego being Americans is true, semantically at least. But Canadians and Mexicans sure as hell are not going around proclaiming themselves Americans. Nor are Cubans, Bolivians, etc.

An American, as its generally understood and accepted, is someone from the USA. Its a convenience born out of phoenetics, not some sinister plot to monopolize a word. And it implies a nationality, whereas your use implies a wide geographical area.

An Argentine who insists he is an American is the exception, not the norm.
Hmmm, you can't both be right.

I haven't been to Europe, but I have to South America. What I remember hearing exclusively is either 'estadunidense' or 'norteamericano' (or gringo or colorado). Since I have never personally called myself an American in another country of the Americas, I can't say I've drawn an argument about it. To me, it's just an issue in logic and avoiding ambiguity.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hmmm, you can't both be right.

I haven't been to Europe, but I have to South America. What I remember hearing exclusively is either 'estadunidense' or 'norteamericano' (or gringo or colorado). Since I have never personally called myself an American in another country of the Americas, I can't say I've drawn an argument about it. To me, it's just an issue in logic and avoiding ambiguity.
Actually we both are right. He is right, semantically. I am by common acceptance.

And during 1 year's residence in Germany plus numerous other visits, I have NEVER heard US-Amerikaner. They say Amerikaners (M), Amerikanerin (F) or Amis (slang). And during lots of visits to Italy, I was always referred to as "American!" with that cute accent.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Great stuff, guys........and totally off the original topic.

Let's move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe