Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

I live in Quebec and what others have said about it being just a province of a larger, English-speaking country (whereas Mexico is its own country) makes a huge difference.

Regarding standard of living, another big difference is that Quebec's standard of living is roughly comparable to France, the so-called old country.

Whereas the difference in standard of living between Spain (standard of living roughly comparable to France, Quebec and most Western countries) and Mexico is much greater.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, we are Americans... right along with anyone else who lives in either North or South America.

In order to not imply that everyone else living in N/S America are not Americans, I have devised the term 'United Statsian' (actually, I'm sure it's been used before). So in essence, I am referring to we who live in this country by the name of this country.

How do you thing the rest of Europe would feel if suddenly, the Danes (those from Denmark) suddenly decided that they, and they alone, would be referred to as 'Europeans'? Or how about if the Mongolians decided that they and they alone were Asians? Or the Nigerians suddenly laid claim to the label Africans. So now those from Congo were no longer Africans.

So... since an Argentinian (or Canadian, or Uruguayan, etc) has just as much right to the label 'American' as we in the United States do, I thought it fitting to give us an actual name we rightfully have claim to: United Statsian (or if you wish, United Statesian).

And we all live happily ever after... K?
I have never heard of Canadians or South Americans being referred to as "Americans"...that name is distinctly for people from the US.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have never heard of Canadians or South Americans being referred to as "Americans"...that name is distinctly for people from the US.
South what?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
Quote:
It's funny cos the name of America is from :
1st theory : Amerigo Vespucci, And far as I know this guy went to South America.
2nd theory : here

Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
It's funny cos the name of America is from :
1st theory : Amerigo Vespucci, And far as I know this guy went to South America.
2nd theory : here
Yes...he did, but South Americans are not generally referred to as "Americans"...neither are Canadians...so you don't need to use the word "united statesians" when talking about people form the US, just use "Americans"...as S. America and Canada are not included in that.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Yes...he did, but South Americans are not generally referred to as "Americans"...neither are Canadians...so you don't need to use the word "united statesians" when talking about people form the US, just use "Americans"...as S. America and Canada are not included in that.

The majority of the people in the American continent refer to U.S. citizens as "Estadounidenses" in Spanish (Americanos is not used to refer to the people of USA in Spanish) and when they (citizens of American countries, excluding Canada and USA) speak in English they use the term "U.S. American" to refer to the people of United States. That very same people refer to any citizen born in the American continent as an "American".

America is 1 continent. If some U.S citizens are too lazy to write/type/say their full country´s name or nationality ("United States of America" and "U.S. Americans"), the rest of the world doesn´t have to burn their maps to refer to U.S. citizens or USA as "America".

Take a look at your passport.

Under nationality...it doesnt say "American"..it says.. Nationality>>>"USA" or Nationality>>>"United States of America"

An "American" is any citizen of any country in the American continent.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 08-12-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
The majority of the people in the American continent refer to U.S. citizens as "Estadounidenses" in Spanish (Americanos is not used to refer to the people of USA in Spanish) and when they (citizens of the countries of America, excluding Canada and USA) speak in English they use the words "U.S. Americans" to refer to the people of United States. That very same people refer to any citizen born in the American continent as an "American".
Thank you. I'm glad you pointed this out. I was going to, but I'm getting tired of arguing about it. And 'Estadounidenses' is basically the Spanish Version of 'United Statesian.'

My cousin nearly got into an argument with an Argentinean one time because my cousin said he was American and the Argentinean said he was too (which he was). Basically anyone living in North or South America can lay claim to 'American.' I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to call ourselves by a more specific name in order to avoid confusion.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thank you. I'm glad you pointed this out. I was going to, but I'm getting tired of arguing about it. And 'Estadounidenses' is basically the Spanish Version of 'United Statesian.'

My cousin nearly got into an argument with an Argentinean one time because my cousin said he was American and the Argentinean said he was too (which he was). Basically anyone living in North or South America can lay claim to 'American.' I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to call ourselves by a more specific name in order to avoid confusion.

French and Italian speakers refer to people from the U.S. as états-unien and statunitense.

German speakers refer to people from the U.S. as "
U.S.-Amerikaner" (U.S. American)

Spanish and Portuguese speakers refer to the people from the U.S. as
estadounidense and estadunidense.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
united statesian sounds good I'll use it from now on

Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
America is 1 continent. If some U.S citizens are too lazy to write/type/say their full country´s name or nationality ("United States of America" and "U.S. Americans"), the rest of the world doesn´t have to burn their maps to refer to U.S. citizens or USA as "America".
I hate to burst your bubble.

I have lived in Europe and visited there numerous times as well as spending time in Canada and Latin America as well. Nobody uses USA or United States. Everybody says America. I myself used USA endlessly, but to no avail.

Everyone from the Tundra to Tierra del Fuego being Americans is true, semantically at least. But Canadians and Mexicans sure as hell are not going around proclaiming themselves Americans. Nor are Cubans, Bolivians, etc.

An American, as its generally understood and accepted, is someone from the USA. Its a convenience born out of phoenetics, not some sinister plot to monopolize a word. And it implies a nationality, whereas your use implies a wide geographical area.

An Argentine who insists he is an American is the exception, not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.