Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,406,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People who wear the same funky gym clothes. I can tell the difference between normal sweat odor and unwashed clothes. Wash your dang clothes!
Ugh. No doubt. My old gym was very crowded and I always had to wait for an eliptical - couldn't figure out why this one machine was always free though.... til I got on it the first time. Same guy worked out there every day and man, was he FUNKY. No one could stand to work out next to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM

So I recently rejoined the gym to lose some post pregnancy weight.... and even though it's one of the nicer ones I've belonged to.....same old peeves..

People who use the stairs as a workout area. I *think* so everybody can see them (the staircase is in the middle of the gym). I NEED (as do others) to be able to use the handrail when I go up and down..... not to be run over and have to jump out of the way as you do your stacks on the stairs or whatever. Guess what , it's a gym - filled with other areas and ways for you o work out...

Spitting. Gah, why do guys thinks it's ok to spit on the floor of the sauna. Guys who do exercises in the sauna. If you're not done with your workout, go back out on the floor..

Loud talkers in the sauna.

People who lie down and take up a whole bench in the sauna when it's full. And the girl who sits spread eagle in the everyday doing the splits....

Women in full make-up, jewelry, never breaking a sweat reading a book or whatever plugging along on a machine at a sloth's pace......

Overhearing people give terrible diet/exercise advice to others...

Oh, and I hate the whole joining process.... the not being able to call up and just get the price.....

Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Oh, and at my old gym - there was a women who while getting ready after her shower took up ALL the outlets - she used a blowdryer, two differnt curling irons (different barrel sizes) and a flat iron ... She had this elaborate do that required her to go back and forth between each of these appliances. Oh, and she had her lighted make-up mirror too... The end result was not "all that" either (but she sure thought it was I guess)

Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM

17,464 posts, read 16,647,402 times
This is not really a peeve because I've only seen this one time, a few years back. But it's still funny.

I once saw a young woman come into the gym to workout on the nautilus equipment. She was wearing high style, expensive gym clothes - the best dressed in the place. She had flip flops on her feet and she carried around a Starbuck's coffee (probably a latte), which she sipped on between sets.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,463,021 times
People who leave stuff everywhere, every Thursday a class of schoolkids, around 40 of them come in at 2.30, leave at 3pm, and there's sh*t everywhere, barbells still loaded up, equipment everywhere.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
People who leave stuff everywhere, every Thursday a class of schoolkids, around 40 of them come in at 2.30, leave at 3pm, and there's sh*t everywhere, barbells still loaded up, equipment everywhere.
Yeah it sucks when people don't put their stuff back. There was one guy at my old gym that would take the curl bar clear across the gym to the leg extension machine so he could do curls in between sets. Then he would leave it there, go back to the free weights area and start doing curls with dumbbells

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM

26 posts, read 30,701 times
~ I typically perform three sets of twelve reps per exercise, and I pause for thirty seconds between each set as my trainer instructed me to do. Occasionally, I need to explain this to someone waiting for the machine, and I do this without complaint, but sometimes this someone decides to pester or harass me about taking my break.

~ There are several machines in the gym that have two settings that work two different muscles. There is a machine for inner and outer arms, a machine for inner and outer thighs, a machine for back and abs, and at least three other machines like them. I need to tone my entire body as I lose weight, and the different settings on these machines are all part of my routine. Most people that are waiting are polite and patient, but some people tend to be rude about the situation.

~ There is a swimming pool at the gym, and some people like to bring their children to visit. I really do not mind children at all, but there are several family dressing rooms for women with boys or men with girls. I cannot count how many times I have had a woman with an older boy rip open the dressing room curtain with several nude women inside trying to dress.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,487,582 times
I have a couple:

People who don't use locks on their locker. It always frustrates me when you open a locker to find someone's junk in there...then open the one next to it and the same thing happens again. I have no doubt these people would be the first to complain to management about security when their stuff gets stolen.

The guy who hogs one machine. Is it really necessary to do 20 sets on one machine, sitting at the machine between sets so no one else gets on it? Have some consideration. I'm also including "woman who brings over dumbbells, excercise balls, and medicine balls to the stretching corner, hogging the area to herself so no one else can stretch" in here too.

The guy who leaves leaves his workout bag to "reserve" a machine. This is usually one in the same person as the one above. Sorry buddy, this machine belongs to all of us. This isn't third grade where you can reserve a spot by putting your trapper keeper there. Oh, and there's a locker room there for a reason...so we don't have to trip over your crap while we're trying to work out.

The guy who grunts and groans excessively. Sure, everyone grunts, etc from time to time. But this guy wants to be sure you know he is lifting heavy weights and that he is freaking superman. However, this guy is sometimes very un-built...which can kind of be humorous to hear someone calling attention to himself when he really shouldn't.

The woman who wears grossly inappropriate clothing. I'm a guy, I sincerly try to keep my eyes to myself but women who wear skimpy tight-tights with uber-revealing cuts are hard to miss. And they know it. And are usually accompanied by an overprotective guy with his head on a swivel glaring at dudes who look at her.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,487,582 times
Well said. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodisNotGreat View Post
I summed up my views when I wrote this:

1. Old naked guy in the locker room:
This definitely should have been #1 on my list. My gym has a small lockerrom and invariably there will be an older guy without a stitch of clothes on. It really is a behavior that sociologists should study.

Quote:
2. Dude in flip-flops with gallon-jug of water:
I've never understood the gallon of water thing. A sports bottle cost $5. Maybe $10. And do you really need a whole gallon? Are you going to cross the Sahara after your workout?

Quote:
3. Skanks in Wedding Makeup and a sports Bra:

This is exactly who I was referring to in my post above.

Quote:
4. New Year’s Resolutioners:

I agree...I'm extremely supportive of people wanting to make a change...I was one of them too not too long ago. What annoys me are the new folks with no sense of etiquette. And I'm talking about common sense things like not wiping down machines, not bringing your luggage...I mean "gym bag" to the workout floor, etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,437,069 times
I just ended my contract with a gym. I wasn't going, but my real issues are:
1. No towel service
2. No steam room or sauna.

My old gym had lots of amenities, and I used to love doing a steam or going into the sauna after working out... The goodies make the gym a lot better. If I just want to use exercise equipment, what's the point of paying $50 a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness