Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I work 80 hours a week I hardly get any sleep. I think I should try to get in hours of exercise during the weekend.
Recently, it has been shown that there is a correlation between people who don't get enough sleep and people who are obese.

Correlation is not necessarily causality, however.
Quote:
A lot of people just dont have time for exercise ... I am going to have cut out time for exercise. ...
There are lots of ways to get some exercise in small bits.

(1) - Do you take an elevator at any time during your day?
(2) - Do you park your car in a parking lot/garage when going to work?
(3) - Do you sit in a chair to do your work?

(1) - I said it before - take the stairs. It doesn't matter how slowly. Use a cane to save your knees.
(2) - park far away and spend an extra minute or two walking ( save your car from getting as many dings )
(3) - get a big rubber ball at a fitness store. Balancing on the ball will strengthen your core.

(4) - try to think of other stuff
Quote:
I have always been obese lol. ...
That means that you lead a lifestyle that has caused you to be obese.

Lots of people are convinced that there is a gene that makes people fat by noticing the tendency of fat mothers to have fat daughters, for instance.

Again, this is correlation and not causation. The daughter is fat because her parents taught her a lifestyle that lead to obesity.
Quote:
I have no energy during the day ...
It is a vicious cycle.

You have no energy because you are overweight. -o- You are overweight partially because you don't exercise. -o- You don't exercise because you have no energy.

The goal isn't to be thin. The goal should be to be more healthy.

Last edited by mortimer; 03-31-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, it's obvious if you were more efficient at work you'd get stuff done and not work 80 hrs a week
Are you out of your tree? Some people work hourly jobs for wages that require extra hours to earn a living.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That has to be hard to balance two jobs. But if you managed to carve out an hour or even half and hour 4 days a week and exercised you will find that you will gain lots of energy. Exercise gives you energy. Sitting all day is one of the worst things you can do for your body. I realize you have to because of your jobs, but you should try and counteract that.
Some things you can do
- get an exercise ball that is big enough that you can sit on it and still type. You will need to use some abs and legs to stablize yourself.
- get a headset so you can march around your office/cubicle while talking on the phone
- Take a walk with your food in your hands when you have breaks.

None of these are enough exercise by themselves, but being creative like that will keep you a little bit more engaged.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
A lot of people just dont have time for exercise not saying this is an excuse but most of the people who I work with are obese as well. I have always been obese lol.
not being able to exercise is no excuse to be obese. you can still be thin just by managing your food intake. you wont look as sexypants as if you are working out, but really if you are obese you have a long way before worrying about being sexypants.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
... you can still be thin just by ...
The goal should be more healthy and not "thin."

This isn't alcoholism where you have to go cold turkey.

If a person finds that they are "more" healthy and they feel better then they try
for "more-more." The idea is continual improvement with no particular goal in mind.

One more thing: Late dinners are a killer.
OTOH, you can eat as much as you want and anything you want for breakfast.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

If a person finds that they are "more" healthy and they feel better then they try
for "more-more." The idea is continual improvement with no particular goal in mind.

I eat late night dinners.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

for an obese person, the goal of getting thin will make them more healthy. they certainly dont have to starve themselves or even change what they eat (so fast). i like the eat of just cutting things/portions from their diet. if you eat 3 tacos every day, change that to 2. its simple and even an obese person should be able to do it.

the last couple of things you said are just silliness. i dont know why people are so interested in believing ridiculous things. what do you eat for breakfast and how much do you weigh? breakfast counts into your daily calorie totals just as much as dinner and it makes no difference what time you eat it. people who have the right to care about such minor changes arent obese people, they would be people who are already low bodyfat and need to get even lower. like telling a fat person to eat whole grain bread. give me a break, the difference between whole grain bread and white bread isnt the difference between fat and thin.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM

7,189 posts, read 9,255,201 times
Quote:
Hey dont be so harsh, you don't know my situation. I work two jobs. Both require me sitting at a computer. I work in a hospital and for UPS as a customer service rep for both jobs. Basically I answer phones all day lol. @somebodynew thank you for the positive advice
Working 2 jobs will make it very difficult. Don't give up. Try to fit some exercise into your life.

23 And 1/2 Hours*Video

I hope the 2 jobs thing is temporary. I have seen people who have worked themselves into an early grave, giving up their health and fitness for "the job" or out of loyalty. When you're not able to perform 10yrs later the new boss won't remember your loyalty. He just wants to know what you can do for him/her today.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM

i bet if you take the obese person's blood, checked their heart and blood pressure, etc. then they dieted down to a healthy weight doing no exercise, you will see a drastic improvement in the numbers. i consider exercise what makes me sexypants, i believe diet is what keeps my numbers good. i wouldnt push the obese person to exercise, that person has been making excuses for many years for why they cant exercise and why they dont have a healthy diet. stick with one thing and keep it simple. the obese person has very little self control and will use any excuse to not improve their health. i wouldnt bother pushing exercise, id start with diet.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:

I find that late dinners are more conducive to a solid exercise program. I find it is difficult to eat an early dinner and still work out later that evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness