Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times

Advertisements

Fat Loss & Weight Training Myths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:32 PM

41 posts, read 92,781 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys. But I cannot swim either. I swear I see skinny people eating fast foods and never gain weight, they say that they apparently do not exercise. I also realized that a lot of thin people which are usually men be the 1st one to point out that they love to eat...?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM

i just ate an entire plate of cookies

Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM

41 posts, read 92,781 times
and of course i am the one who gains weight and you do not. I think it has a lot to do with genetics as well

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
While I don't get skinny, eating anything, I still think diet can bite you. That's why I'm eating healthier.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM

I can eat whatever I want. I have a high metabolism, on 'high activity' days, I burn approx. 3400 calories, sedentary (sitting for 24 hrs), I still burn 1200 (tested using bodpod).

I do minimal cardio/conditioning (sprints every now and then)...but mostly strength training (high volume, intensity and frequency).

I'm 26.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
You can not lift a finger and still lose weight, provided you are consuming less calories than what your body needs to maintain it's weight. But I would still try to do at least some cardio and eat healthy.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i bet most obese people who exercise end up gaining weight. they will reward themselves for exercising with additional food. how many fat people in the gym do you see not being fat over time? ive been going to the same gym for 8 years and the same fat people 8 years ago are still fat.
Delusions of grandeur much?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. But I cannot swim either. I swear I see skinny people eating fast foods and never gain weight, they say that they apparently do not exercise. I also realized that a lot of thin people which are usually men be the 1st one to point out that they love to eat...?
Everyone has different metabolisms. It's just natural fact. But 90% of it is what you do.

Take olympic gold winner in men's swimming Michael Phelps. Here's what he ate normally (note: he upped his calorie intake by 20% during the Olympics because he was competing so much, which means he ate MORE than this in 2008!!!)

— three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayo
— one five-egg omelets
— a bowl of grits
— three slices of French toast with powdered sugar
— three chocolate chip pancakes
— two cups of coffee

For lunch, Phelps drinks 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks, one pound of pasta with tomato sauce and two large ham and cheese sandwiches (with mayo) on white bread.

For dinner, Phelps’ meal consists of six to eight slices of pizza, another pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and 1,000 calories of energy drinks.

And he's ripped. So he's obviously burning the calories.

So there's a few things going on here. First off, he's been competing his entire life. His life is working out.

Obese peoples' lives (and sadly most Americans') is sitting at computers and doing even more sitting when they should be walking or doing SOMETHING.

So you have the exponential result of a lifetime of working out and a body that is used to burning all the calories that come in versus a body that is used to storing it away.

The other thing going on here is he's eating foods that are packed with immediate energy. Most americans eat sugary foods packed with "other" stuff.

So while you may claim you have friends who say they can eat fast food and never gain weight, take a close look at that they do during the day. They may not realize it but their moments of physical activity do wonders. And their portions of meals otherwise are probably smaller and they probably don't eat consistently through the day. BIG differences!

The other 10% is genetics.

Look at it another way; if humans had wide varieties in how effective they are in breaking down foods for energy, you'd see a variety of diets and habits in Olympic atheletes. But you don't. They ALL eat this much. But they also ALL work out that much.

Keep at it, don't get discouraged. Your body needs 6 months to remember what working out is like and it will SUCK. But power through it. I lost 40 lb this way.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
But what you may not realize is it's possible that the skinny people haven't eaten anything else all day, or won't eat anything else later. I'm thin and yesterday I ate a substantial Easter brunch around noon. During the afternoon I had a cookie and about 4 little chocolate eggs. I wasn't hungry at dinner so I had two small tomatoes. That's not a particularly healthy way to eat and I don't do it every day, but I don't think my calorie intake was extreme.

You have no idea how much you're eating til you log it all for at least a week and total up the calories. There are lots of websites that will help you do this. You can't escape reality when it's staring you in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness