Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

I was so annoyed last night - the lady on the machine next to me was yapping on her cell phone the whole time. When she wasn't yapping on her cell phone her kid kept coming over and talking to her and standing right next to me. I was afraid I was going to hit him in the head with the elliptical. There was a guy who stood in front of my machine and was apparently watching TV. Just standing there in the midst of all the machines watching TV. It was creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is with people who walk around stark naked in the gym locker room? I am not a prude, but really...find a towel or something...

I feel the same way, I don't understand it. I now go later in the day after the classes and don't see much of it any more. I did belong to two all women's gyms and they had dressing room and everyone was covered.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,070 times
I also hate when the music in the gym is so loud that it over powers my music on my ipod.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I was so annoyed last night - the lady on the machine next to me was yapping on her cell phone the whole time. When she wasn't yapping on her cell phone her kid kept coming over and talking to her and standing right next to me. I was afraid I was going to hit him in the head with the elliptical. There was a guy who stood in front of my machine and was apparently watching TV. Just standing there in the midst of all the machines watching TV. It was creepy.
Ugh I hate when people have no concept of where they should or shouldn't locate themselves. It drives me crazy when I'm bench pressing (takes a lot of concentration for me) and some moron decides he wants to squeeze between the end of the barbell and the neighboring machine. It's tight enough that he has to turn sideways to squeeze through. Seriously man? You can't take one of the other 7000 routes to the other side of the bench I'm working on? You have to come within an inch or two of the very heavy barbell I'm currently lifting and nearly knock it over? I swear that's a serious injury risk.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Men (strangers!) who feel like they have to touch you on the arm or shoulder to speak to you. It's almost as if: So, because we both have a membership at this gym, you get to touch me if you want? On what planet does that occur? Maybe he thinks he's at some kind of nightclub. I suppose it's flirting, but: Really, I don't find being approached like that at all appealing.

Women who want to hold long chatty sessions with you in the locker room if you just say "Hi" when they enter. After a workout, I'm pressed for time, I have to shower, shampoo and dress. Can we chat later at the juice bar, maybe?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
I cannot stand people who "compliment" me saying how weight I've lost and then asking if I am sick. I have to fold my arms to prevent myself from giving them a right hook. Instead I smile and say, "Thanks for noticing. I work hard at the gym, you should try it too!" with a huge smile.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Ugh I hate when people have no concept of where they should or shouldn't locate themselves. It drives me crazy when I'm bench pressing (takes a lot of concentration for me) and some moron decides he wants to squeeze between the end of the barbell and the neighboring machine. It's tight enough that he has to turn sideways to squeeze through. Seriously man? You can't take one of the other 7000 routes to the other side of the bench I'm working on? You have to come within an inch or two of the very heavy barbell I'm currently lifting and nearly knock it over? I swear that's a serious injury risk.
I had that exact thing happen to me today. I was on a flat bench doing barbell chest presses, and some guy decides to start a conversation with several people standing right next to my bench. The guy was moving around while he was talking, and I'm laying there waiting for him to accidently back up into me while I have the barbell raised above my chest. People should know to keep their distance from people using free-weights.

Another thing that bothers me is when people attempt to take extra plates from the machine you're working on without asking you if you need them first. I had that happen to me today as well.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
To the meatheads at my gym:

RE-RACK YOUR EFFING WEIGHTS. PUT THEM IN THE CORRECT SPOT FOR THEIR WEIGHT. SEE THAT LITTLE '65' THERE ON THE RACK? THAT'S WHERE YOU PUT A 65 LB WEIGHT.

BREAK DOWN YOUR WEIGHTS WHEN YOU FINISH. I HATE TAKING OFF 45 LB PLATE AFTER 45 LB PLATE THEN WIPING YOUR STUPID SWEAT OFF THE BENCH. YOU ARE DISGUSTING AND LAZY.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
The rec center at the university I go to gets very busy so some cardio equipment you must reserve a time slot to use it. It's so annoying when it gets to your reserved time and someone has started using your machine (and didn't sign up) and you have to go kick them off. There are signs everywhere! It's also awesome when people are on their phone just hanging out on the machine you need to use.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
I hate it when people are watching me while I exercise. I don't know if it is because I am goofy looking or exercising in a goofy manner or what, but I am tired of seeing nosy eyes glancing at me when I am in the weight room or on the treadmill. I was walking moderately on the treadmill once, and this girl comes to walk on the treadmill beside mine. I swear, I could see her glancing my way every 15 seconds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness