Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,690 times

Advertisements

For health, it seems more realistic to just try and mimic what is natural to our bodies - the type of resistance to climb trees, rocks, sprint (what is going to run 20 miles after you without catching up in the 1st mile?), that sort of thing.

I did the whole hardcore powerlifting once upon a time but it takes a toll. After having my kids, I was done. I still lift 5x a week but you won't see me logging total poundage for the day anymore.

Strength and resistance training is critical for long term health, 1-5rm rep squats is not. Do what you love but as time goes on and you leave your 20s, you find a middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I weigh 185 pounds. My current program consists of descending reps at 225 pounds starting at about 10 for a total of 50. I then do a couple of sets of 10 at 185 or 195 plus 2 sets of 20 at 135.
Yes, that is a ton of volume, but at your weight with those lifts, you are advanced enough to handle it; not saying you do not know this, but others who are beginners and even intermediate for many people should not try to imitate this much volume.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,266,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Threads like this come up often and get pretty contentious so I've mostly been lurking to get the sense of this one. Here's what I've seen at a high level, which is pretty standard: A large majority saying, 'yes strength training is vital, I try to some make time for it, but it's not everything to me and I don't like gyms that much…' and then a much smaller, more vocal group of what I can only assume are gym rats saying basically, 'cardio is a waste of time! LIFT or you will always be weak and frail!'

… So rather than trying to argue, I will just ask a general question… which approach seems more balanced and likely to still be considered effective 50 years from now?
IDK. I've been doing basically the same thing for the past 25 years. At the gym, I use a combination of the weight machines and free weights. For cardio, I walk two miles, at least 4 times per week at a quick pace (30 - 35 min.). That's it. I don't go for whatever the latest craze is like "boot camp", Crossfit, carrying tires, etc.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,690 times
IYep, it was boot camp before cross fit. Pole dancing was huge, MMA really took off in 2005... Who knows what's next?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,587,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, that is a ton of volume, but at your weight with those lifts, you are advanced enough to handle it; not saying you do not know this, but others who are beginners and even intermediate for many people should not try to imitate this much volume.
Yeah, it took quite a bit of work to get to this point. When I first started out a little over two years ago I was 25 pounds lighter and struggling to put up 150 pounds once.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times
Quote:
Threads like this come up often and get pretty contentious so I've mostly been lurking to get the sense of this one. Here's what I've seen at a high level, which is pretty standard: A large majority saying, 'yes strength training is vital, I try to some make time for it, but it's not everything to me and I don't like gyms that much…' and then a much smaller, more vocal group of what I can only assume are gym rats saying basically, 'cardio is a waste of time! LIFT or you will always be weak and frail!'

… So rather than trying to argue, I will just ask a general question… which approach seems more balanced and likely to still be considered effective 50 years from now?
I think you are inferring something that really isn't accurate. Most serious weightlifters understand the importance of cardio. I've followed this discussion and I don't remember any posts that said, "cardio is a waste of time."

I don't see approaches changing 50 years from now. Hopefully people will become more intelligent about their health. We may see changes in health insurance that reward and penalize people for healthy and unhealthy behavior. There is no question a mix of weightlifting and cardio is necessary for optimum health. Future drugs could reduce the need for cardio for basic health requirements, e.g., minimizing heart disease. I see many more people in the future lifting weights as myths eventually disappear. For example, when I was in high school in the early 1970s, many people thought basketball players shouldn't lift weights because they would get muscle bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So here is the total tonnage for weightlifting I used to do at the gym till 1 week back everyday:

Bicep curls:

32.5*20
42.5*14
52.5*8

Leg presses:

320*15
340*15
360*10
400*6

Lat Pulldowns:

50*20
55*16
60*8

Bench press:

85*18
100*12
110*6

I will get back into this routine by next Monday for sure. It has helped me strengthen reasonably.
Adi,
You would be much better off if you stopped doing the high reps. Try adding the smallest amount of weight if you can do 12 reps. I also suspect that you are not lifting until failure. You actually should not be able to complete your last rep instead of stopping at a certain number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are doing way too much volume for your level.
boxus,
Please explain. How is this way too much volume other than the high number of reps in his first sets?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:46 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,378,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you are inferring something that really isn't accurate. Most serious weightlifters understand the importance of cardio. I've followed this discussion and I don't remember any posts that said, "cardio is a waste of time."
I was paraphrasing, hence the 'single quotes', but I've read sentiments to that effect on this board many times. And look how many people jumped in and started arguing me against it as soon as I inferred that 'Lifters' are an imbalanced bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't see approaches changing 50 years from now... We may see changes in health insurance that reward and penalize people for healthy and unhealthy behavior.
It depends on what you're defining as an "approach". General fitness and exercise? No change, and that's exactly what insurance companies, etc. would potentially be crediting you for, not using some boxes that say choose one: 'lift', 'cardio', 'walk', 'couch'. But popular thinking on whatever brand of exercise produces optimal benefits will certainly change, as it always has, every few years.

Last edited by otterprods; 05-28-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,213,093 times
Quote:
Weightlifters... forever confirming people's preconceived notions about themselves.
Is that really the most intelligible thing you have to say about it? Should I be ashamed if the answer is no? The answer technically is NO because "Lift" is the term for resistance training that guys who are secretly gay and doing it to reassure themselves and impress other guys use for it. I do however train with weights and bodyweight on occasion though. But not in the way you're thinking of. I got tired long, long ago of that thing where you go to the gym, grunt up some weight in a very limited motion a few times then sit there and look around for a bit and repeat.
relax there kemosabe, i was only making a joke. no need to get your panties in a bunch and argue pointless semantics that i don't give a damn about. believe me, i am on your side.

i am not even a hardcore weightlifter. i do enough "resistance" to tone up a bit so i can gain enough lean muscle to burn more calories during cardio/running. i dont enjoy strength training like i enjoy cardio, but it doesn't hurt to include it in my workout. well, technically it does sometimes for a day

Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,642,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So here is the total tonnage for weightlifting I used to do at the gym till 1 week back everyday:

Bicep curls:

32.5*20
42.5*14
52.5*8

Leg presses:

320*15
340*15
360*10
400*6

Lat Pulldowns:

50*20
55*16
60*8

Bench press:

85*18
100*12
110*6

I will get back into this routine by next Monday for sure. It has helped me strengthen reasonably.
Are these free weight numbers or machine numbers?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,512,986 times
I recommend that you do the same workouts as pro athletes do, not at the same level of course but you will get in shape. They usually do a mixture of cardio and weight lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness