Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This. I work with an AMAZING trainer who is full of inspirational quotes, recipes, workout routines, a friendly ear and a kind word for everyone making an effort.

What she doesn't have is a ton of instagram photos with her fake a$$ sticking out ten different ways.
You just described tons of trainers out there. Big deal.

Jan Selters butt is like a bodybuilder with the greatest arms, if not more so. Sorry for all the other inspiring "good" fitness people, but it's an industry largely based on appearances. She simply has them while many don't.

I don't care how great a trainer is, I'm reluctant to take someone advice if they look like garbage or don't have a proven track record of changing people so they reach their goals (and they have goals similar to mine)

Guys like Charles Glass have been training top level bodybuilders for years. It doesn't matter what they look like. George Farrah is called "the pro maker" for a reason. While HE does look incredible, his looks didn't earn him the name, his proven success has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
she's not even that attractive, I don't get what people are so infatuated by. Nice body but you see bodies like that here in South Fl all the time.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I think she's very beautiful and has a great looking body, but I also agree that she's NOT a good role model for fitness. She's more of a a fitness model. Yes, I know she bills herself as a fitness trainer, but let's face it, he fitness advice is minimal (and focuses a lot on one body part) the real focus is pictures of herself and fashion advice. Just google her and you get pages and pages about her butt and pictures and fashion advice for showing off your butt, but you are hard pressed to actually find anything other than generic fitness advice from her.

If you want to look at a good fitness role model, I would say someone like Amy Van Dyken is the kind of woman to look to. She's an Olympic gold medal swimmer who was teased as a child by other children for being too tall. She also suffered from asthma, but went on to be an Olympic swimmer... not letting peer pressure from negative body image (a BIG problem for girls) or her medical limitations slow her down. She didn't make excuses and went on to train and win gold for the US and for herself.

Or, if you want to focus strictly on trainers, look to other famous woman trainers who focus on real health (not beauty and fashion) like Cassandra Forsythe-Pribanic or Sally Moss or Kelli Calabrese.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think she's very beautiful and has a great looking body, but I also agree that she's NOT a good role model for fitness. She's more of a a fitness model. Yes, I know she bills herself as a fitness trainer, but let's face it, he fitness advice is minimal (and focuses a lot on one body part) the real focus is pictures of herself and fashion advice. Just google her and you get pages and pages about her butt and pictures and fashion advice for showing off your butt, but you are hard pressed to actually find anything other than generic fitness advice from her.
Well, that's where the branding comes in. It's unfortunate, but more women think to themselves, "I want my butt to look like that" rather than "I want to be healthy". She's appealing to the former, and as such, gaining popularity faster than someone who appeals to the latter.

Guys have their own version of this too. Something that drives fitness trainers nuts is how much time men spend focusing on bicep curls, which is one of the least time-efficient exercises there is.

It's becoming less of a problem these days since the new "body part du jour" is abs, which really only come about from body fat loss anyway....but there are still plenty of people that spend 50% of an hour-long workout routine on biceps when they could be doing exercises that work out like 3 other muscle groups at the same time.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,050 times
She's definitely beautiful and looks pretty fit from what I've seen. I think it's amazing that she managed to leverage this into a fitness deal to make a living off of. I'm highly impressed. I think she's a good role model in the sense of showing girls how they could look if they exercise regularly. Far too often I see overweight and sloppy people out there because they're too lazy to workout, eat garbage, or both. The desire and motivation to be fit often comes from seeing someone who has the ideal body type that a person wants to achieve.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
She's definitely beautiful and looks pretty fit from what I've seen. I think it's amazing that she managed to leverage this into a fitness deal to make a living off of. I'm highly impressed. I think she's a good role model in the sense of showing girls how they could look if they exercise regularly. Far too often I see overweight and sloppy people out there because they're too lazy to workout, eat garbage, or both. The desire and motivation to be fit often comes from seeing someone who has the ideal body type that a person wants to achieve.
Until she stops sticking her butt out at every pic opportunity she is not a role model.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
Where did we get the idea that she is, is trying to be, or needs to be, a role model?

I could care less about her as a person or her personal life. Why does someone need to have the person that gives them fitness advice, also be their "role model."

Why do they have to play both roles? Are we not adults on this forum, do we really need role models on how to be "good people"

If her primary focus is motivating people on fitness, and just fitness, she seems fine for it. I could care less if she goes out to a club or Saturdays, or spends it at a children's hospital. Sure, it's cool when these people are also "great people" but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Where did we get the idea that she is, is trying to be, or needs to be, a role model?.
She's a role model for 20-30 year old women when it comes to being healthy, eating right and working out. Lets face it, the majority of 20-somethings eat horrible food and dont take care of their health and physical fitness as much as they should. I think its soooo much better that people in her demographic can look to her as an example of fitness/health/nutrition, etc. and focus on taking care of their health (in addition to education) instead of someone like that fat chick who made that song celebrating fat a$$es called "All About That Bass" or something like that.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,536 times
Quote:
Where did we get the idea that she is, is trying to be, or needs to be, a role model?

I could care less about her as a person or her personal life. Why does someone need to have the person that gives them fitness advice, also be their "role model."

Why do they have to play both roles? Are we not adults on this forum, do we really need role models on how to be "good people"

If her primary focus is motivating people on fitness, and just fitness, she seems fine for it. I could care less if she goes out to a club or Saturdays, or spends it at a children's hospital. Sure, it's cool when these people are also "great people" but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.
For the same reason everyone expects NFL players to be role models and not just NFL players, I suppose (except they also get paid a lot more).

Old 12-10-2014, 12:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:

I think we are discussing it here because it was mentioned by one of the posters earlier on in this thread.

No... she's not a good role model, not as long as she's got her ass up in the air in 9/10 of her photos.

That doesn't mean she's not a nice person, not attractive, or shouldn't be proud that she's leveraged having a big rear end and a relatively toned physique (her arms aren't as toned as her abs, but that's a minor thing I'd never mention if we weren't discussing her as a training icon of some sort) into a lucrative career. In that regard, I say... good for her!

But, to say she's a role model for women is silly. Might she encourage some adult females to work out more often? Maybe. She's more likely to encourage young adult males to rub one off more often, but they don't need encouragement for that.

I have to say that when I was in my teens/twenties I had a similar physique... my abs weren't so toned (they were also not flabby... this was the late 80s/early 90s and a "softer" look was in for women back then, ala Cindy Crawford), but I did have a similar booty/hip ratio and that sort of deal. In short, I would not have needed to look up to her because I wasn't a big girl with any sort of eating problem.

I'm in my 40s now, and I still have that same booty. Is it as toned as it was when I was 20? Nope. I could fix that up a bit, I suppose. It's also not all saggy and flabby, so don't misread me.

My point is that my daughter is 14, and I wouldn't want her watching this and thinking she ought to start taking pics of herself pointing her ass at the camera and posting them on Instagram. My daughter inherited my shape, so she's quite curvy (and thin, so small waist, larger hips, larger behind type of "curvy")... and if she started thinking that this woman was a good role model, I'd be alarmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness