Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She's a role model for 20-30 year old women when it comes to being healthy, eating right and working out. Lets face it, the majority of 20-somethings eat horrible food and dont take care of their health and physical fitness as much as they should. I think its soooo much better that people in her demographic can look to her as an example of fitness/health/nutrition, etc. and focus on taking care of their health (in addition to education) instead of someone like that fat chick who made that song celebrating fat a$$es called "All About That Bass" or something like that.
Isn't the answer somewhere in the middle, though?

Should we not encourage people to eat better and exercise more often (even if that just means moving around more and getting outside, not necessarily hitting the gym, per se) and ALSO encourage them not to hate themselves and to be proud of their bodies instead of loathing themselves and being depressed?

Being depressed leads to poor eating habits, and depressed people are less likely to exercise. Exercise is a great antidepressant. See the self-perpetuating cycle here?

What I mean is that there's room for body acceptance AND for striving to be our very best. And there's room for eating healthy AND for not being so obsessive that we avoid our birthday cake because we're so paranoid about what we eat.

We are a nation of extremists. It's disconcerting.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She's a role model for 20-30 year old women when it comes to being healthy, eating right and working out. Lets face it, the majority of 20-somethings eat horrible food and dont take care of their health and physical fitness as much as they should. I think its soooo much better that people in her demographic can look to her as an example of fitness/health/nutrition, etc. and focus on taking care of their health (in addition to education) instead of someone like that fat chick who made that song celebrating fat a$$es called "All About That Bass" or something like that.
I agree... In terms of "those" types of role models, she is.

She isn't trying to be someone she's not like all the fake fitness people you see. Some are awesome, some go blatantly overboard.

I don't really care about her or who's who in the fitness industry. She exercises, eats well, has a great body, partially due to genetics (as most famous attractive people are) so what's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

My point is that my daughter is 14, and I wouldn't want her watching this and thinking she ought to start taking pics of herself pointing her ass at the camera and posting them on Instagram. My daughter inherited my shape, so she's quite curvy (and thin, so small waist, larger hips, larger behind type of "curvy")... and if she started thinking that this woman was a good role model, I'd be alarmed.
In that sense - I understand and agree. For a thin, small waisted, curvy bootied 14 year old, she is a terrible role model lol.

But like I said, you are right. Her pictures are not good role models for sub-18 women. In that sense, TONS of women are not good role models for that. Heck, look at what bikini competitors wear on stage? Practically thongs.. Not that I mind, being a male, nor do they, to show off their goods, but that gap needs to be separated between acceptable for adults, and acceptable for minors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I agree... In terms of "those" types of role models, she is.

She isn't trying to be someone she's not like all the fake fitness people you see. Some are awesome, some go blatantly overboard.

I don't really care about her or who's who in the fitness industry. She exercises, eats well, has a great body, partially due to genetics (as most famous attractive people are) so what's the big deal?

In that sense - I understand and agree. For a thin, small waisted, curvy bootied 14 year old, she is a terrible role model lol.

But like I said, you are right. Her pictures are not good role models for sub-18 women. In that sense, TONS of women are not good role models for that. Heck, look at what bikini competitors wear on stage? Practically thongs.. Not that I mind, being a male, nor do they, to show off their goods, but that gap needs to be separated between acceptable for adults, and acceptable for minors.
Absolutely agree. Particularly with the bolded.

All in all, if a woman can make a career for herself while clothed (and Selter is pretty much clothed, well... maybe not the thong pics, but eh... it's a bare butt)...

More power to her!

She's not just parading around a stage. She's actually trying to offer up some helpful advice. Until her advice is actually bad for people, she's okay by me.

For adults, anyway.

Okay... and maybe pubescent males.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think we are discussing it here because it was mentioned by one of the posters earlier on in this thread.

No... she's not a good role model, not as long as she's got her ass up in the air in 9/10 of her photos.

That doesn't mean she's not a nice person, not attractive, or shouldn't be proud that she's leveraged having a big rear end and a relatively toned physique (her arms aren't as toned as her abs, but that's a minor thing I'd never mention if we weren't discussing her as a training icon of some sort) into a lucrative career. In that regard, I say... good for her!

But, to say she's a role model for women is silly. Might she encourage some adult females to work out more often? Maybe. She's more likely to encourage young adult males to rub one off more often, but they don't need encouragement for that.

I have to say that when I was in my teens/twenties I had a similar physique... my abs weren't so toned (they were also not flabby... this was the late 80s/early 90s and a "softer" look was in for women back then, ala Cindy Crawford), but I did have a similar booty/hip ratio and that sort of deal. In short, I would not have needed to look up to her because I wasn't a big girl with any sort of eating problem.

I'm in my 40s now, and I still have that same booty. Is it as toned as it was when I was 20? Nope. I could fix that up a bit, I suppose. It's also not all saggy and flabby, so don't misread me.

My point is that my daughter is 14, and I wouldn't want her watching this and thinking she ought to start taking pics of herself pointing her ass at the camera and posting them on Instagram. My daughter inherited my shape, so she's quite curvy (and thin, so small waist, larger hips, larger behind type of "curvy")... and if she started thinking that this woman was a good role model, I'd be alarmed.
This is kind of where I am coming from with the whole "role model" angle. I guess when I think "role model" I think of kids and someone they strive to emulate in many ways. A role model is someone whose values, attitudes, and behaviors are associated with a role you look to achieve.

I'd say she's more of an inspiration (for adults). You can look at her success and be inspired to achieve the same because (if you are about her age) it's reasonable to achieve it. maybe not exactly like her if you don't have the same basic build. But you know if she can be in the best shape for her body, so can you. But that's not the same as modeling yourself after the role she plays and it takes a more mature line of thinking to realize you have to work with what nature gave you too.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
My fitness inspiration is right here:

success stories | Women's Health Magazine

I guess I just don't feel inspired by butt selfies, but like reading the success stories of people who worked the tail off and lost the weight.

The next Jillian Michaels, she is not.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:48 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
My fitness inspiration is right here:

success stories | Women's Health Magazine

I guess I just don't feel inspired by butt selfies, but like reading the success stories of people who worked the tail off and lost the weight.

The next Jillian Michaels, she is not.
Now THOSE (in that link you posted) are truly inspirational! I agree with you, those are the type of women who inspire me.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Now THOSE (in that link you posted) are truly inspirational! I agree with you, those are the type of women who inspire me.
Also, if you read the advice that she gives out, it is usually pretty outdated stuff or stuff that anyone can say. She will also say she read and researches a lot via social media but could never state a place.

Honestly, I think her body is actually just average and she is probably helped out a lot by lordosis and yoga pants. If she were ever in neutral back and not in yoga pants, then she is probably, "ehhh."

There are some very fit women who inspire me (the ladies in the link are great and I absolutely love Tania from the Insanity series), but I really don't think she seems like a fitness enthusiast but I feel like she was probably always in relatively good shape and then started posting belfies for the attention (using the gym somehow makes it seem less trashy, I suppose).

Either way, not someone I would take fitness advice from. I do a lot of Beachbody workouts because I like them. My beachbody sales rep has lost 171 pounds thanks to Jillian Michaels, Tony Horton, Chalene Johnson.... and I find that way more inspiring than a 20 year old with belfies.

Ugh. This is annoying.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
She looks like she has lumbar lordosis.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Instagram
Curvy Instagram star Selter gets big sports deal | Page Six

Instagram star Jen Selter turned her fitness quest into a lucrative career, signing a deal with an agency that represents other athletes. It is not clear what her duties will be, but good for her!

My only caveat would be that this reflects an ongoing societal bias for one aspect of female beauty (the derriere) when others are just as important. Somewhere along the line, we as a society took a wrong turn.
humans have value system and always have. Not going to change. Billions spent by dieters beauty aids does not lie what reality is.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default which, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
She looks like she has lumbar lordosis.
sticks the buns out even more into the camera.
great call; I thought it was a medical issue and you've just given it a name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness