Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
I live in a retirement community where I interact regularly with 70-80 yr olds at the fitness center. They're tread-milling, rowing, doing yoga, tai chi, lifting wts (light wts) in group classes (similar to Les Mills Power classes). Lots of walkers in our community every morning. They're very dedicated to their walking around here.I talked to an 83 yr old the other day who was a little down because he usually runs 7 miles but is down to 3 miles and feeling his age. We have a lot of lap swimmers, too. Biking (indoor or out) is also popular here.

Remember, when we age, we're losing muscle mass. Lifting and other forms of fitness can delay this process. It is also important to keep your nutrition up ---protein is important for muscle mass maintenance.

Regarding your stamina, next visit to your MD, have him evaluate your testosterone level. It could be precipitously down and that would cause you lack stamina all of a sudden.

I'm still mid-50s and do 3-4 hrs of some sort of fitness every day (run, swim, lift, yoga, Pilates, abds, kickbox, hitt, cardiobox, bike).

As we age, we lose flexibility, balance, muscle strength.

If you can find a YMCA, most offer Les Mills classes where all of these things can be addressed.

Last edited by TBMorgan; 02-03-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 PM

374 posts, read 377,884 times
Yoga. Clean my stable. Dayhike and snowshoe with my dogs. Exercise routines bore me to death and going someplace to do them to music with strangers has never floated my boat.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:42 PM

https://www.outsideonline.com/232240...etic-longevity

Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I'm 65. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day. I try to incorporate hills in all my walks. There is a trail just outside of town called Alpine trail. It is a 20% grade for about 15 miles. Great hike, except for the mountain bikers coming down the trail. I've had to bail off the trail a few times, but for the most part it is a beautiful forested trail that gets my heart pumping.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm 65. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day. I try to incorporate hills in all my walks. There is a trail just outside of town called Alpine trail. It is a 20% grade for about 15 miles. Great hike, except for the mountain bikers coming down the trail. I've had to bail off the trail a few times, but for the most part it is a beautiful forested trail that gets my heart pumping.
I've done a lot of mtb in Colorado and Wyoming and UT....but forget, don't walkers have the right away? I'm always on the lookout for them. Sorry that you have an issue. I don't think it's supposed to be that way out there.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Well, until I reached 74, I stayed active coaching lacrosse and rowing 10K indoors. Then I made the mistake of playing in a contact lacrosse scrimmage and hurt my back. So, since then I walk 10-15 km 3 times a week and wash dishes. "Do what's in front of you," that's my motto.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:43 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
I regularly do yoga and do some resistance training for strength and then ride my bike when the weather is good. I also hike when I can.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:47 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I've done a lot of mtb in Colorado and Wyoming and UT....but forget, don't walkers have the right away? I'm always on the lookout for them. Sorry that you have an issue. I don't think it's supposed to be that way out there.

Walkers may have the right of way, but this a narrow, very steep, twisty trail. These people come flying down the trail about as fast as they can go. If I'm coming around a corner, they aren't going to see me until they're right on top of me. It's only happened a few times. If I get on the trail by 8 or 9 am, I'm always alone. if I don't get on trail until 10 or 11, I'm at a higher level of risk.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months.
What do most people my age do for fitness routine.
Most people do very little. At any age.

As to those who have always done something... they'll tend to continue doing that something.
Very close to what they've been doing all along if a bit slower or fewer than what they did at 30.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I just turned 64 and did my first 5K race yesterday. I belong to a gym and I do 30 minutes of cardio followed by 30-45 minutes on the weight machines. Walking is great but it doesn't do much for your upper body which is why I do weights. I listen to my favorite work-out music to help push me when I'm just not into it. I've lost 35 pounds in the last 3 years and I intend to keep it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness