Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

I split and stack firewood. I do a lot of hunting so there's walking, especially so carrying a bag of full body goose decoys. Bicycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
How do Sylvester and Arnold's 70 year old bodies deal with such heavy weight on their joints lifting so heavy? I'm only 40 and use dumbbells, but my shoulder and elbow joints click (or whatever that's causing it). I was so scared that I was injuring myself that I stopped.
I'll be 64 in a couple of months and I don't see any difference from when I was in high school except for a torn meniscus in my knee and some minor arthritis. I've had a couple episodes of golfer/tennis elbow but fixed them with exercises where you do eccentric contractions with a rubber bar. I'm bench pressing more than I did in college and can do almost as many pull-ups as I did in jump school in the Army when I was 21.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
I walk 3 miles a day and hope to begin riding a bike again shortly.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
I'm quickly approaching 60. I do pretty high intensity aerobics for 50 minutes, 3 times a week and weight training twice weekly. Never have been big on classes but who knows, maybe when I retire. I also bike when the weather is mild and take my dogs on hikes most days. I don't have the muscle mass, strength I had a decade ago, but I keep trying to hold onto what I've got! You've got to stay in motion!

Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 PM

696 posts, read 704,247 times
I'm 59 and have been running (with walking thrown in) since I was 42. I joined a gym a mile from my house a year ago. I weight train three days a week and run another three days. In addition, I run to and from the gym, weather permitting.

When I weight train, I work out on machines using with fairly heavy weights for 40-50 minutes.

Except in the winter, my groovy groom and I go for walks (1.5-2 Mike's) three to six days a week. We might go a couple of times a week in the winter.

After a year of consistent exercise, my LDL dropped 20 points, my total chloresterol is again below 200, and my blood pressure is lovely. I'm also pretty darn strong - stronger than I was in my 20s, and stronger than a lot of 30-year-old women.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
There are lots of older folks in the mornings when I’m at the gym. I see older guys doing weights, working ott using resistance machines, and jogging or walking on treadmill or track.

I agree that you should do the things you like to do.

I would not want to go to the gym if I could not choose the things I wanted to do there.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Age has nothing to do with it. Do what you love!

Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
I'm 64.
I swim for 40 minutes, three times a week. That's my shoulder-and-arms fitness routine.
I ice skate once or twice a week (my schedule doesn't allow for more frequency, unfortunately.) That's my waist-to-ankles fitness routine.
These two forms of exercise keep my (moderate) osteoarthritis at bay, and are fun, fun, fun.
What do swimming and ice skating have in common?
They're both sweat-free! Another bonus.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
i want to be exercising just as intense when I'm 60 as I am now.

I don't believe in going gentle into the good night. While I won't be doing anything reckless and crazy, I also believe in pushing your body within limits. Lift as heavy as you can safely within your limits, none of this doing 100 reps with an empty barbell nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKtsvmU9VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlJ_xDzmdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF88uasL-o

Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
I'll be 60 next month. I am also a heart attack survivor.

I row at least an hour a day (on the water) daily, when ever the weather cooperates (no extreme wind, no rain). When the water is uncooperative I ride my bike at least 20 miles. I try to keep a routine of Steady state on Mondays and Fridays, Intervals on Tuesday and Thursday, and Intensity on Wednesday.

Every other day, I get a second workout in at the gym with my wife. Usually some weights, but mostly maintenance cardio.

Except for slower recovery time, I still feel like I did when I was rowing in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness