Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
I don’t know about you but I would try and date Ashley and Britney. That will give you a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I try to find my socks.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM

317 posts, read 374,146 times
I teach high schoolers which is a workout in itself. But I will workout after school today as I've gotten so many responses here!

Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
We roller skate for two hours and ice skate for an hour and a half once a week. We take long walks in the cold weather and ride the stationary bike. We take ten mile bike rides a couple of times a week in the summer and I do 3 hour long night bike rides in the summer a couple of times a week. My husband does sit ups and pushups almost every day. I used to walk the dogs for an hour and a half three times a week, but I lost one last March and I can't take the Yorkie out in really bad weather. I walk by myself now and it's really depressing. We will be starting some projects as soon as the weather breaks. I'm researching arts and crafts bathroom tiles now. I want to take another upholstery class in September.
I sat for about 5 months drugged out of my mind when I broke my arm and wrist last May. It's taken this long to recover and I just about have my stamina back to where it was before the accident. Use it or lose it? No kidding.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Yes! It does.....if your body is not able to...
Yes, younger people love to spout this type of thing. If only we COULD.

Arthritis means I can't lift weights or swim laps. We walk and ride bikes on the hard sand and still it is very difficult for me to get my leg over the bike, or dropped bar. I do Spanish lessons while on the elliptical. That's about it....I might add some easy moves on Pilates, if I'm certain my artificial joints can handle it.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
59. Dirt bike, lift weights, treadmill, eat right, 7-8 hours of sleep, rinse, repeat.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
I'm almost 60, and I work a heavy labor job, on my feet all day hanging items up to several hundred pounds onto an overhead conveyor, 8-15 hours a day. 20 year-olds have a hard time keeping up with me. 'Fitness routine'? Don't think I need one. Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to be 100% 'disabled', the Army gave me an involuntary medical retirement in 1982, after one of my worst [combination of] injuries I was told I would never walk again...haha, fooled them.

If your Doc says it's OK (no heart or other significant issues) you can [re]build your stamina by working harder, increasing on a gradual basis. Weight training may help to increase strength, heavy every other day, interspersed with lighter weights for longer periods of time to increase endurance. Be careful of your knees and shoulders.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I walk 8000 steps 4x a week
1.5 to 2 hours weights 5x a week.
A physician told me men at over 40 should absolutely be doing weight training.
Both men and women, definitely.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I'm quickly approaching 60. I do pretty high intensity aerobics for 50 minutes, 3 times a week and weight training twice weekly. Never have been big on classes but who knows, maybe when I retire. I also bike when the weather is mild and take my dogs on hikes most days. I don't have the muscle mass, strength I had a decade ago, but I keep trying to hold onto what I've got! You've got to stay in motion!
If this is the case with you, I would drop the cardio to 2x a week and increase the weights to 3x a week. The weights should be heavy enough that you fail by the 8th rep.

As a matter of fact, you may want to investigate HIIT (High intensity Interval Training) in place of lengthy cardio as you will get a better workout and in less time.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:21 PM

538 posts, read 732,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Exercise routines bore me to death and going someplace to do them to music with strangers has never floated my boat.

Same here. Never understood the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness