Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you ok with getting naked in a locker room
Yes 72 60.00%
No 48 40.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 09:55 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

When I was Manus, Brazil two naked men came out of the jungle right near the busy part of the city on the banks of the Amazon river to bathe as it was called. It was an odd juxtaposition I'm sitting with Brazilians dressed in Italian fashion and two naked jungle dwellers on the river bank bathing. I seemed to be the only one who noticed them. It put into perspective the topless females on the beach in Rio. I seemed to be the only one noticing them too.

I think its about cultural expectations. In parts of the world where you cannot have an expectation that everyone will cover up its optional. We are stuck with the expectation that people should be modest and cover up. The first thing Western Missionaries and Colonizers did everywhere they went was to get people to cover up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 10:34 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I love how this topic lives on!

I voted “yes” but getting naked for me means taking a shower and changing my clothes. I’m generally not one to hang out naked in the locker room and talk to other people.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End Game View Post
Seems like a lot of people are too uncomfortable with being seen naked
I don’t want to see a naked guy and there’s absolutely no reason why I would want to be seen by another guy. A towel can be thrown on in literally five seconds, so I do that.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:18 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
I voted no, because lately all lockerrooms showers I have seen have been very unfresh and cold.
I feel dirtier after using them than sweaty before, like I might catch something nasty off the floors.

I'll rather walk 5 minutes to get home and have my own fresh shower by myself, also less likelyhood any of my stuff gets stolen.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Isn't that the point of a locker room, to change clothes and possibly shower?

Kinda difficult to do those things without getting naked.

I'm not fond of hanging out with other naked men only but it's not an insurmountable obstacle.

A couple winters ago I was very cold after being underdressed for a trail run in 20F weather. Our local fitness club was way closer than home, so I went there immediately to thaw out in their hot tub. Man, it sure felt good!
I feel sorry for anyone who would skip such a pleasure due to being uncomfortable in a naked state publicly.

A coed naked scene, such as a nude beach, would be more agreeable. I once went to a nude beach on the Big Island that required about a mile hike in to get there. Upon arrival it was all guys! Probably most or all of them were gay. This was uncomfortable for me so I left right away.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:12 PM

3,478 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I don’t want to see a naked guy and there’s absolutely no reason why I would want to be seen by another guy. A towel can be thrown on in literally five seconds, so I do that.

Nobody in the locker room cares. Just enjoy being naked!

Old 01-09-2023, 05:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Nobody in the locker room cares. Just enjoy being naked!
I can be naked at home. If I wanted to.

My gym doesn’t have shower doors and so not wearing anything while taking a shower and drying off, and thus being seen, is part of going to that gym. That’s fine (although I prefer shower doors if possible). Some of my friends have refused to join that gym due to the lack of shower doors though.

What I don’t like is people parading around the locker room, particularly while engaged in conversations, but not wearing anything. I don’t do that. I don’t like that because it’s impossible to avoid seeing (even if for a moment) parts that I really don’t want to see. Only a small handful of guys at my gym do that. Others have vocally complained to people who do that.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:

My gym doesn’t have shower doors and so not wearing anything while taking a shower and drying off, and thus being seen, is part of going to that gym. That’s fine (although I prefer shower doors if possible). Some of my friends have refused to join that gym due to the lack of shower doors though.

What I don’t like is people parading around the locker room, particularly while engaged in conversations, but not wearing anything. I don’t do that. I don’t like that because it’s impossible to avoid seeing (even if for a moment) parts that I really don’t want to see. Only a small handful of guys at my gym do that. Others have vocally complained to people who do that.
LOL, when I used to go for swimming lessons, a couple of guys used to want to have conversations with me in the shower while they are naked. I was like, can we wait until we're done showering and have clothes on before we talk? Of course, I didn't say that to them, but that's what was going on in my head.

There are certain things I prefer not to see when I converse with people.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:04 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:

I've been in locker rooms in gyms all over the country and I have never seen shower stalls in a men's locker room. Due to playing and coaching basketball, I have been in many high school girls locker rooms and they typically have shower stalls.

You definitely would not like taking a shower in my local YMCA. Not only are there no shower stalls, but guys walk through the shower to get to the pool. It is also a shortcut to the fitness center so many guys walk through the shower room fully clothed going and coming from the fitness center.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've been in locker rooms in gyms all over the country and I have never seen shower stalls in a men's locker room. Due to playing and coaching basketball, I have been in many high school girls locker rooms and they typically have shower stalls.

You definitely would not like taking a shower in my local YMCA. Not only are there no shower stalls, but guys walk through the shower to get to the pool. It is also a shortcut to the fitness center so many guys walk through the shower room fully clothed going and coming from the fitness center.
Some fitness clubs have them. Ours, "The Alaska Club" in JNU has dividers between the stalls and curtains to draw across the entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness