Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:33 PM

6,859 posts, read 9,400,207 times

Advertisements

Honestly, no. I can respect the amount of work that goes into developing that physique, but I don’t find it to be attractive. However, there are people out there who do! Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 03:01 PM

22,403 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
As a female, I would say you are doing great. And you train your abs. You could get them to pop if you were willing to be miserable. I just can't see sustaining long term misery. Maybe try for an event if you are really motivated.
Not that motivated. Just want some definition for summer crop tops

Old 04-04-2023, 03:03 PM

9,460 posts, read 11,214,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Whenever I see really chiseled lean 6 pack, it looks abnormal and almost unhealthy to me.

You know the ones where it's super defined with each "pack" so pronounced.

For me I think a "flat" tummy with the 3 vertical lines looks more normal / attractive / healthy.

I'm not making light of ppl who work their butt off in the gym and eat super careful to get this. But you need to be caloric deficit to be abnormally low body fat to attain such a "look".
One guy just got a six pack tattoo. Easy Button.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:18 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,364,363 times
I think it looks fine. I respect people who work out and eat the way you have to in order to look that way.

However, for a desirable look on someone - i like the "dad belly" or whatever they call it much better. Some fat on it! That's just me.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 PM

325 posts, read 57,704 times
I think it’s hideous. I think a flat stomach that looks natural is best. I hope the 6-pack fad fades away soon. It’s not mentally healthy to be so obsessed with one’s body.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahann25 View Post
I think it’s hideous. I think a flat stomach that looks natural is best. I hope the 6-pack fad fades away soon. It’s not mentally healthy to be so obsessed with one’s body.
Plus one! I HATE that look. I do not want to see the anatomical structure of a man's abdomen. It screams "I am a narcissist who spends all of my time in the gym!" .

And...it is ugly.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:23 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Nope. I don't find overly muscular physiques appealing. Exaggeration implies obsessive self involvement. You can demonstrate discipline to fitness in other ways.
This. Not interested in self centered men that will spend all their time in a gym, obsessively comparing themselves with other bodybuilders, and admiring their body everytime they pass by a mirror...lol
They require special diets, costly supplements, health monitors, and body care.
They can't function in their daily life outside of pursuing this ideal and it can lead to depression and losing their ability to do basic living tasks. It's also a lonely existence - not many women are willing to put up with all that.

And when they get older, they just look... awful. Men with bigorexia? No, thank you!

Again, the Hollywood, fashion magazines and social media are messing up with Americans. Thankfully not all.

There are many other ways to be THE "manly" man...

Old 04-04-2023, 10:51 PM

10,597 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Some abdominal definition is not difficult to achieve with minimal effort.
The bulging lower abs characterizing a six pack take a great deal of work, apparently.
Possibly some pro athletes would get a modest version of them because they must work out intensely to maintain their edge. For anyone else it’s too damn obsessive IMO and no, does not look good.
Reminds me of the before and after Covid photos of a body builder circulating on social media a couple years ago. The guy had bulging muscles everywhere and a very pronounced six pack. After being in the hospital for a month or more the after photo showed he had lost a lot of muscle and weight. The honest opinion comment I resisted posting was “He looks healthier now”.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:04 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,791,475 times
Hmmm, it seems that the women here are quite critical of a man who works hard to keep his body in good shape and well-toned. I wonder what these women think of a female who likewise works hard to keep her body in good shape and well-toned? Are these women also considered to be narcissists and mentally unhealthy?

Old 04-05-2023, 12:25 AM

22,504 posts, read 19,304,533 times
i don't like the look of it at all. people's obsession with it strikes me as vanity, ego, and self-absorption, in the same way a person's obsession with breast size or excessive make up i find to also be un-natural and un-appealing and superficial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness