Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 12:29 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

and then there are those who get miffed when it's pointed out as unattractive and unappealing.

reminds me of a cartoon i saw once which was so accurate. a guy and his fancy car trying to impress the women. he discovers that the attention he gets for his car is mostly from other guys admiring the car. the women he was trying to impress, well were not impressed.

same thing with body obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 07:05 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I doubt that too many posters on here are miffed or upset about other posters comments on liking abs. lol.

I don't see too many ripped, valley'd and chiseled abs in the gym I train at, or at work, or jogging down the road. I don't have them on my self although I got that brief week here and there at times.

I have only seen them at competitions where in the backroom behind the stage the people are scarfing down the boxes of free pizza they offer back there (that those hundred dollar entry fees cover) once the competitor has done his or her 10 minutes of glory they/we trained all year for.

Other than fitness models that make a living this way, influencers like Athlean X, pro bb's and the rare few pro athletes that take up the fitness news, the rest of us are pretty "run of the mill" fitness people.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:11 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
When I see a guy flexing and tight, I always think he must be very self-absorbed, and spend all his time in the gym, talking about the gym, or admiring himself. I would expect him to be poor relationship material, and think he probably spends too much on supplements, so he'll never afford a house.

Then I think about how judgemental I'm being. Sometimes I'm ashamed of myself.
I apologize to any of you I may have insulted in my mind.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:17 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I doubt that too many posters on here are miffed or upset about other posters comments on liking abs. lol.

I don't see too many ripped, valley'd and chiseled abs in the gym I train at, or at work, or jogging down the road. I don't have them on my self although I got that brief week here and there at times.

I have only seen them at competitions where in the backroom behind the stage the people are scarfing down the boxes of free pizza they offer back there (that those hundred dollar entry fees cover) once the competitor has done his or her 10 minutes of glory they/we trained all year for.

Other than fitness models that make a living this way, influencers like Athlean X, pro bb's and the rare few pro athletes that take up the fitness news, the rest of us are pretty "run of the mill" fitness people.
I follow a few fitness people on social media who take what I consider to be a very nuanced and reasonable approach to working out. They are always quick to bring up that for Regular Joes and Janes just trying to get in better shape, don't look to bodybuilders for diet and fitness advice. What bodybuilders are doing is a very specific thing for a very specific reason, and it's not always based on true health and fitness. There's a lot in bodybuilding that prioritizes dehydration, very limited diet, very strict workouts, and that's not what normal people need to be doing to improve their health.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:22 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
When I see a guy flexing and tight, I always think he must be very self-absorbed, and spend all his time in the gym, talking about the gym, or admiring himself. I would expect him to be poor relationship material, and think he probably spends too much on supplements, so he'll never afford a house.

It's also a bit unnatural for a man, for a lack of better word, to be prettier than a woman. Woman's beauty is a huge advantage for women in a power dynamic between a man and a woman. I think, that plays a big part in why vast majority of women are turned off by a man who spends so much time on his looks.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:26 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
On men, yes, women, no. Although I do a ton of core work, but I have a naturally flat stomach to begin with. With added weight training the past 2 years, my stomach is pretty muscular with prominent obliques. I tend to always notice people's stomach's though. Pop bellies on men, hell no. My husband has been trying to flatten his for almost 2 years with little results, but he also doesn't eat like I do either. If I see a 6 pack on a man, my immediate thought is dedication and great genetics.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:26 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I guess I shouldn't post my brother picture from last years Miami Dade firefighter calendar then lol

Old 04-05-2023, 08:29 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Too many people judge a book by its cover. There's not much that a person can do about the facial features that their parents gave them, but they can work to improve their appearance. Why make negative assumptions about people of EITHER sex just because they are working to improve the way they look?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:41 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Flat tummy is attractive.

The tummy bulge, muffin top, protruding pooch is a turn off (esp on a woman).

Last edited by Trekker99; 04-05-2023 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-05-2023, 08:45 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
I'm also sort of wondering how we went from asking about 6 packs to "What I consider relationship material?" lol. Like I know ANYTHING about the strangers that go to my gym based on the fact they are looking in the mirror..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness