Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2023, 04:08 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,408,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Generally protein shakes where you buy the powder in bulk are "better" in the sense you can mix in healthy things like fruit and spinach to them, as well as fast digesting carbs. I mix mine with OJ for flavor.

You will want to eat the protein in the hour or so immediately after you lift weights. You can also eat protein shakes later in the day but you'll want to space them out as they can be filling and cause bloat/GI issues on some people.
Thanks, I also do notice the protein powder has more protein because just looking at Amazon, I see they average around 30g per serving while the bars are around 20g per serving.

The powder does look interesting, but just got to think of what to mix it in. The instructions say to mix with water, but that just sounds kinda boring. Like chocolate powder and water?? I'd rather have chocolate with milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 04:10 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I use protein powder in baking some things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-14-2023, 06:43 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Thanks, I also do notice the protein powder has more protein because just looking at Amazon, I see they average around 30g per serving while the bars are around 20g per serving.

The powder does look interesting, but just got to think of what to mix it in. The instructions say to mix with water, but that just sounds kinda boring. Like chocolate powder and water?? I'd rather have chocolate with milk.
I mix it with yogurt. I tried mixing it with cocoa powder, then adding coconut milk, but it got lumpy.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:17 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
I've always struggled to get fit and gain muscle even though I work out and I think the big problem is, I don't get enough protein. I read you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound on a daily basis. How is that possible? Many foods don't really have enough protein. Even high protein foods like peanuts and eggs only have 6-8g of proteins per serving.

Since I weigh 150 lbs, that means I need 150g of protein on a daily basis. So I need 50g of protein for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner?? How is that possible? Most food don't have that high amounts of protein. I'm lucky if you can get 20-25g in a meal.

It’s very difficult to get 1g protein per pound if one weighs over 170 pounds, imo.

The body can only absorbe 25-30g per meal at a time (meal).

Excess of that is used for other things and can go to fat and cause an insulin rise.

Shakes between meals every 3 hours can help reach the goal. The current consensus is that .073 per pound of body weight is optimal.

I don’t chase protein myself but usually get .05-.06 per pound

It’s a pain.

Old 07-15-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
It’s very difficult to get 1g protein per pound if one weighs over 170 pounds, imo.

The body can only absorbe 25-30g per meal at a time (meal).

Excess of that is used for other things and can go to fat and cause an insulin rise.

Shakes between meals every 3 hours can help reach the goal. The current consensus is that .073 per pound of body weight is optimal.

I don’t chase protein myself but usually get .05-.06 per pound

It’s a pain.
It's definitely very very hard. Let me show you what the meal plans I've been trying to put into place now.

Breakfast - 2 eggs (16g), 2 whole wheat toast (5g), and a cup of OJ (2g) - 23 grams total
Lunch - two turkey sandwiches (16g) on whole wheat bread (10g) - 26 grams total
Snack - protein bar (20g) - 20 grams total
Dinner - chicken (25g) and rice (2g) - 27 grams total
Snack - handful of peanuts (8g) - 8 grams total
Late snack - glass of milk (8g) - 8 grams total

With all that, which also includes a protein supplement in the mix, I'm only consuming 112 grams!! I did not reach my 150 gram goal! With all that, which included ditching the cereal with eggs, I'm still short of my daily goal! And the above is literally me trying to eat more and healthier than I normally would. I don't know if my stomach can take more food.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:00 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
It's definitely very very hard. Let me show you what the meal plans I've been trying to put into place now.

Breakfast - 2 eggs (16g), 2 whole wheat toast (5g), and a cup of OJ (2g) - 23 grams total
Lunch - two turkey sandwiches (16g) on whole wheat bread (10g) - 26 grams total
Snack - protein bar (20g) - 20 grams total
Dinner - chicken (25g) and rice (2g) - 27 grams total
Snack - handful of peanuts (8g) - 8 grams total
Late snack - glass of milk (8g) - 8 grams total

With all that, which also includes a protein supplement in the mix, I'm only consuming 112 grams!! I did not reach my 150 gram goal! With all that, which included ditching the cereal with eggs, I'm still short of my daily goal! And the above is literally me trying to eat more and healthier than I normally would. I don't know if my stomach can take more food.
Yes, it's hard.

It gets old.

Time consuming and it costs, even though we can afford it.

Gastrointestinal system needs a break also from constant work from many meals / snacks.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:17 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Mix something from this list in every meal?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_3

Old 07-16-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, it's hard.

It gets old.

Time consuming and it costs, even though we can afford it.

Gastrointestinal system needs a break also from constant work from many meals / snacks.
Yeah, I think I can try to up my protein intake, but need to just stop counting numbers because that's going to lead to a lot of frustration and discouragement. And I'm more likely to give up trying that way.

After all, I'm just trying to change my skinny fat into more muscle. It will take some work, but I'm not looking to bulk up like Arnold, so I would think healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner along with a couple of high protein snacks should do it. Even if it doesn't all total up to 1 gram per pound of body weight, I can't imagine why all those nutritious meals and snacks won't be sufficient enough to become moderately fit.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:46 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
You never answered whether those sandwiches are cold cuts. If so, they're basically crap if you're trying to achieve a specific protein intake number. Having two of them just ups the carbs from bread and whatever else you're putting on them. Better off buying plain patties at McDonald's.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-16-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You never answered whether those sandwiches are cold cuts. If so, they're basically crap if you're trying to achieve a specific protein intake number. Having two of them just ups the carbs from bread and whatever else you're putting on them. Better off buying plain patties at McDonald's.
So what do you suggest I eat for lunch? PB&J? I would say salad, but that has almost zero protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness