Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM

25 posts, read 100,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sorry I don't think this has anything to do with it. The south is the bible belt of the country and it is also home to America's fattest people. I don't believe in god at all, I am completely anti-religion. I lost my weight by changing my diet and exercise. Spirituality (or lack of) played no part whatsoever.
Actually, it has quite a lot to do with it. Meditation is not just for people who are spiritual. I use meditation as a way to block out everything around me and reduce stress. And as you should know, stress is also a factor in weight-gain. The lower your stress levels, the easier you'll be able to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejames View Post
Actually, it has quite a lot to do with it. Meditation is not just for people who are spiritual. I use meditation as a way to block out everything around me and reduce stress. And as you should know, stress is also a factor in weight-gain. The lower your stress levels, the easier you'll be able to lose weight.

It's hard to "convince" (for the lack of a better word) some people about what things like Yoga or Tai Chi can do for ones well being. Sometimes, all you can do is wait for them to experience it for themselves and then just sit back and smile when they run in here and start a thread about a new stress reliever they just discovered.

I've always been thin. I eat to live... not live to eat.

And don't read that as "I don't enjoy food"... quite the contrary.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
So, diet and exercise will only get an individual so far but should one focus on how to increase metabolism instead or is it all based on genetics?
If you eat anything that you want to, don't go out of your way to exercise and are thin, then it is genetic...or whatever you want to call it.

I have one parent and two siblings who have had a problem with weight. The other parent, brother and I have always been thin. If I sat in a chair, watched TV and ate whipped cream for three months, I'd have no muscle tone and maybe a lipid problem, but I'd probably only gain about 5 pounds. Other factors can come into play, like nervous energy, but for me, it's genetic.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Why are there many people who are skinny who never exercised a day in their life and they can maintain their weight and eat five times as much as me, yet one look at a piece of food whether it's junk or healthy and I would gain the weight and have to work my butt off each day exercising and have to watch what I eat. What's up with that? Can someone explain this to me?
It's the brown fat! Apparently (based on 3 studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine), babies are born with an abundance of brown fat -- adipose tissue full of mitochrondria. The mitochrondia burns calories at a high rate, and the heat generated keeps the babies warm. So skinny people with high body temperatures probably have more brown fat than the rest of us. Scientists used to think that as people get older, they lose brown fat. However, now they're saying that the brown fat is still there, just waiting to be activated. Unfortunately, the brown fat is activated by cold temperatures. Well, at least that's the case for mice. The scientists put the mice in cold rooms (about 60 - 65 degrees F), and jumpstarted the mice's brown fat. The mice in cold rooms could eat more without gaining weight, and also had higher body temperature.

"Brown fat" burns calories -- may lead to new obesity treatments - CNN.com

However, other studies indicate that people who exercise to lose weight often consume more calories (eat more)... because they think the exercise gives them a little leeway in terms of how much they can eat. Unfortunately the reality is that you have to put out more than you take in, in order to lose wt...

The aging process, bringing with it a slower metabolism, as well as faster muscle deterioration, also contributes to the weight gain.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejames View Post
hmm... I use meditation to be more aware and mindful of everything around me. A difference in perspective. And yes, it does reduce stress

Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sorry I don't think this has anything to do with it. The south is the bible belt of the country and it is also home to America's fattest people. I don't believe in god at all, I am completely anti-religion. I lost my weight by changing my diet and exercise. Spirituality (or lack of) played no part whatsoever.

I have to agree with 110 percent here! Did they ever even set foot in a church? Lots of fatties! And here I am in Southern MS....very spiritual and very fat! I also am anti religion....nice to know I'm not alone! Although I am alone in that regard here in Lucedale, MS!

Let me add this! The other person put the word prayer in there. Yoga is yoga....prayer is bunk!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Nice to see this turning into yet another anti-religion thread.

What works for some might not work for others. Simply doesn't mean that it's 110% false in it's effectiveness for every one.

And that applies to pretty much everything in life.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
It's hard to "convince" (for the lack of a better word) some people about what things like Yoga or Tai Chi can do for ones well being. Sometimes, all you can do is wait for them to experience it for themselves and then just sit back and smile when they run in here and start a thread about a new stress reliever they just discovered.

I've always been thin. I eat to live... not live to eat.

And don't read that as "I don't enjoy food"... quite the contrary.
thank YOU for using the word thin......skinny is such a derogatory term and I deplore people using it.
I eat what I want and if I love it-I eat lots of it. I don't skip meals and I consume a high calorie,high protein diet. Don't gain any weight and I need to put on at least 10 pounds. Only gained 10 pounds or less when pregnant and the day after giving birth I was right back to my thin self again.
What's a girl to do?? Nothing--live life and stop worrying about it!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
Coming from someone who is 6' and 135 , I would attest to metabolism and miles upon miles of walking. I've always been slender , but any attempts to gani have failed. Even downtown on windy days is a hassle.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 PM

25 posts, read 100,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
hmm... I use meditation to be more aware and mindful of everything around me. A difference in perspective. And yes, it does reduce stress
Well, I guess what I meant to say is that if I have a lot going on or am having a bad day, I'll sometimes sit down in my room and use meditation to block those thoughts out so I can just focus on breathing. And, in turn, I become more calm and mindful of things around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness