Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's not. In the Caucasian community slimness not thickness ia valued. Also, within the African American AND the white communities, higher class individuals tend to value slimmer and more firm shapes.

I tend to see it more as a class issue than a race issue.

Get yourself around some well paid men - of any race - and you will be appreciated.

Being slim is a PLUS in the upscale community. AA men do seem to regard a voluptuous butt as a positive thing where as white men do not. White men seem more into breasts.

Either way, being slim is the acceptable body for well educated, upscale women.

The lower classes of ANY race seem to like big women.
Meh, you're probably a white woman saying this, which means you're probably off the mark by a bit(but not by much). I'd say you're on to something that is typically true: highly educated, high earning successful individuals are much more likely to be "thin", "slim" attractive, and healthy. And as such they tend to seek mates that fit the same criteria. This is true especially amongst white people(I've noticed). However with black men it's not as cut and dry.

For the most part, and I'd say class aside, white men tend to be attracted to thin/slim women. The wealthier and more successful the white man is, the more likely he'll be with a slim, attractive woman(whether she is white, asian, etc). However the average black man(class aside) tends to like woman that is a little on the "thicker" side(not to be confused with fat, plus-size, or big booty model, LOL). Even black men that are in "higher" classes will appreciate and tend to appreciate a fuller looking woman(again not to be confused with plus-size, fat, big, etc). And what is fat to white men(and white people for the record) isn't the same to black folks. To be frank, a lot of men black men don't find the same appeal in the "model" thin or "super thin" woman. They tend to appreciate woman with curves similar to Beyonce, Selma Hayek, or Kim K, and legs that are similar to these women as well(give or take a few pounds).

I've noticed it universal--whether the black man is poor, rich, educated, uneducated, he tends to like a woman with some meat on her bones, how much however will depend on that particular man. However I can tell you that black men are a lot more generous when it comes to weight than white men are. Matter of fact black people as a whole tend to be more generous about what is thin, fat, slim than white folks. Most black people would not consider Jessica Biel, Michelle Obama, or Kim K fat or big in any way. Most would consider women like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, and women with similar body frames and legs, too thin. I know several professional, successful black men who think J-Hud is too thin with her current weight loss, yet on citydata there were multiple posts in here, earlier this year, that indicated her legs were huge and that she was still big. It was definitely an eye-opener since to the black community she is thin, and to some "too" thin. There are even threads on here that Michelle Obama is fat LOL.

That's just one example of what I'm talking about. You ask the average black man what an attractive, thin, black woman is he'll probably name one that has a body frame, and body size somewhere between Halle Berry and Beyonce.

I do notice that amongst middle class and working class black men the weight standards are much more generous than amongst upper middle, middle class black men. For instance a middle class or working class black man might consider a woman that is a size 12 or up (plus-size) to have the perfect body, whereas an upper middle or upper class black man might find that size 12 to big and would most likely think a size 6 is "healthier" and more attractive looking. However the average black man(no matter the class, level of education, income) for the most part likes a woman that is on par with being curvy, shapely in the right areas, and thicker in size(again not to be confused with plus-size, fat or overweight) than the average white man, or white person for that matter.

That being said, there are plenty of black men that like thin black women. Just as there are tons of black men that like curvy/thick woman.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 09-04-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
a lot of white guys are into asses now. times are changing.

stop trying to turn this into a class issue. people like what they like.
Really the bolded is the truth. Yes class plays a role, but black men, and black people tend to have completely different standards of what is thin and fat than white folks do. This thread really illustrates that. It's very possible that what a black man or black woman considers to be "thin" is considered fat by white men or white women(at least that is what it's looking like from many threads on citydata about weight).

For the most part people like what they like. I know two very well off, educated black men, that are married to black women that are not thin--one of the woman is "average" size (maybe a size 6), the other looks to be a size 12 or such. Neither woman looks fat, but they aren't thin either. At the end of the day, there are some men that will like a thin women, some that will like a thick women, others that will like fat women. Class aside.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Meh, you're probably a white woman saying this, which means you're probably off the mark by a bit(but not by much). I'd say you're on to something that is typically true: highly educated, high earning successful individuals are much more likely to be "thin", "slim" attractive, and healthy. And as such they tend to seek mates that fit the same criteria. This is true especially amongst white people(I've noticed). However with black men it's not as cut and dry.

For the most part, and I'd say class aside, white men tend to be attracted to thin/slim women. The wealthier and more successful the white man is, the more likely he'll be with a slim, attractive woman(whether she is white, asian, etc). However the average black man(class aside) tends to like woman that is a little on the "thicker" side(not to be confused with fat, plus-size, or big booty model, LOL). Even black men that are in "higher" classes will appreciate and tend to appreciate a fuller looking woman(again not to be confused with plus-size, fat, big, etc). And what is fat to white men(and white people for the record) isn't the same to black folks. To be frank, a lot of men black men don't find the same appeal in the "model" thin or "super thin" woman. They tend to appreciate woman with curves similar to Beyonce, Selma Hayek, or Kim K, and legs that are similar to these women as well(give or take a few pounds).

I've noticed it universal--whether the black man is poor, rich, educated, uneducated, he tends to like a woman with some meat on her bones, how much however will depend on that particular man. However I can tell you that black men are a lot more generous when it comes to weight than white men are. Matter of fact black people as a whole tend to be more generous about what is thin, fat, slim than white folks. Most black people would not consider Jessica Biel, Michelle Obama, or Kim K fat or big in any way. Most would consider women like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, and women with similar body frames and legs, too thin. I know several professional, successful black men who think J-Hud is too thin with her current weight loss, yet on citydata there were multiple posts in here, earlier this year, that indicated her legs were huge and that she was still big. It was definitely an eye-opener since to the black community she is thin, and to some "too" thin. There are even threads on here that Michelle Obama is fat LOL.

That's just one example of what I'm talking about. You ask the average black man what an attractive, thin, black woman is he'll probably name one that has a body frame, and body size somewhere between Halle Berry and Beyonce.

I do notice that amongst middle class and working class black men the weight standards are much more generous than amongst upper middle, middle class black men. For instance a middle class or working class black man might consider a woman that is a size 12 or up (plus-size) to have the perfect body, whereas an upper middle or upper class black man might find that size 12 to big and would most likely think a size 6 is "healthier" and more attractive looking. However the average black man(no matter the class, level of education, income) for the most part likes a woman that is on par with being curvy, shapely in the right areas, and thicker in size(again not to be confused with plus-size, fat or overweight) than the average white man, or white person for that matter.

That being said, there are plenty of black men that like thin black women. Just as there are tons of black men that like curvy/thick woman.
Actually, you just agreed with what most anthropologists and sociologists have observed.- wight standards are more generous among working and middle class men (in regard to women) than among upper middle and upper class men.

To report what has already been documented is not nasty. Class is not an essential feature, it's a mutable one that can change with higher education and income. Race is essentialist. It can not be changed or overcome, if you will.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Actually, you just agreed with what most anthropologists and sociologists have observed.- wight standards are more generous among working and middle class men (in regard to women) than among upper middle and upper class men.

To report what has already been documented is not nasty. Class is not an essential feature, it's a mutable one that can change with higher education and income. Race is essentialist. It can not be changed or overcome, if you will.
Her post said that black men are more generous in regards to weight, regardless of class. The only way that the bolded could be true regarding her post was if you think that there are no upper middle and upper class black men.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:

The bolded is obvious, I don't think I said anything otherwise. However, I think my post for the most part went over your head. My point is that while weight, education, income and class are definitely tied together, in terms of black men, white men, and everything in between, black men(and latino men) tend to be more generous about weight amongst ALL classes, education level, etc than white men. Black people in general tend to see weight differently than white folks. I didn't realize this until I compared what a black person considers "fat" or "thin" and what the average person considers "fat" or "thin" and realized they were very different. While both groups agree that models are thin and Monique Parker is fat, it seems that everything in between leaves large room for differences in opinions. For instance I've read on here several times that Michelle Obama is "big" or "fat". Or that Jennifer Hudson still has "big" legs. These are not comments I hear from black people AT ALL. And amongst the black men that I personally know that have commented on Jennifer Hudson's weight, most have stated they think she is TOO thin now, and could stand to gain 5-10 pounds. And these are college educated professional black men. This gives you an idea about the differences in perceptions about weight. My point is that some of these posts about black people(and black men) commenting on how someone is "too thin", "needs to eat" or "lost too much weight" is not unusual amongst black folks because we tend to see weight differently. That's not to say that every black person, or black man finds a thicker person attractive, but rather we don't tend to be as stringent about being thin or "slim" as other races are. That being said, I'm not thin. The smallest I've ever been is a size 4. I have a pear shape. And a medium-large body frame. When I get to a size 4 I look very small. I know that when I've gotten down to that size I did receive comments about how I lost too much weight, or lost my a** or something ignorant like that. It seemed for me, that I got far more compliments about my body(from black men and women of ALL classes, education, income) when I'm at a size 8. Right now I am at a transition size between a size 8, and a 6 depending on the brand, and the comments about how I need to be careful not to lose any more weight or else "I won't look right".

I can understand the OP... Though I'm certainly not as thin as she is.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Really the bolded is the truth. Yes class plays a role, but black men, and black people tend to have completely different standards of what is thin and fat than white folks do. This thread really illustrates that. It's very possible that what a black man or black woman considers to be "thin" is considered fat by white men or white women(at least that is what it's looking like from many threads on citydata about weight).

For the most part people like what they like. I know two very well off, educated black men, that are married to black women that are not thin--one of the woman is "average" size (maybe a size 6), the other looks to be a size 12 or such. Neither woman looks fat, but they aren't thin either. At the end of the day, there are some men that will like a thin women, some that will like a thick women, others that will like fat women. Class aside.
True. It's not fair for some to apply their standards to other races/cultures by saying upper middle class men across the board want very thin women

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The op wants to know why thin is in for asians and whites, and is not in for blacks.

You quoted Sheena giving her opinion of an answer: it's a class thing, not a race thing.

I happen to agree: people in classier circles gravitate more toward slender and fit (notice, not thin or skinny), and people of less refinement tend to be less picky and will settle for slovenly and unfit.
This isn't true at all. You're outright lying

Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
I thought about Sheena's comment,then thought about all the couples I know.

She is right.

For what its worth btw,Kim K,Beyonce,and Halle ARE thin.
They aren't what i hear black men say when they mean thick. Actually,a black man has said Beyonce has a flat butt. I thought thick meant a certain waist to hip ratio,or extreme pear shaped with muscle.
The bootie models are what's considered thick. Buffy the body,Tahiry,and Ice T's wife Coco.

Also,what's the differene between 12 and plus size?
Size 12 is plus size.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I thought about Sheena's comment,then thought about all the couples I know.

She is right.

For what its worth btw,Kim K,Beyonce,and Halle ARE thin.
They aren't what i hear black men say when they mean thick. Actually,a black man has said Beyonce has a flat butt. I thought thick meant a certain waist to hip ratio,or extreme pear shaped with muscle.
The bootie models are what's considered thick. Buffy the body,Tahiry,and Ice T's wife Coco.

Also,what's the differene between 12 and plus size?
Size 12 is plus size.
Kim K , Beyonce are "slim" but I know many white women and men that say differently(some have called Kim K fat, Beyonce "thick", etc). To black folks, like you, me, and others on this thread, they are slim, to the rest of society these women are "curvy" or "thick". My premise is that if you asked an upper income black man what he might consider a thin attractive women, they would be FAR more likely to name Kim K, or Beyonce as an ideal woman(look wise) and these women in white society are considered "curvy" NOT thin. And again when I say thicker, I'm speaking about a woman that is not thin, I'm not speaking about the stereotypical "black video model". Beyonce, and Kim K are not what people typically(in our society) define as thin. Though both women ARE small, and "slimmer". Go on other websites, talk to other folks outside of black folks, look at magazines, watch television, and you'll see that Beyonce and Kim K are almost always described as "curvy" women. Never as "thin". To white folks these women are not thin. Especially Kim K, I know firsthand that a lot of my friends think she is fat and that her butt is too big.

In terms of plus size and 12, they are the same thing. One thing that Sheena was right about, is that middle class, and lower class black men are far more generous about weight. I've heard more "middle class" black men describe their ideal woman to look similar to coco, buffy the body, etc who are definitely plus-size woman. Whereas amongst upper income black males, these women are "sexy" but these men are more interested in women that have the Kim K, beyonce look.

In terms of the couples I know, I grew up in an upper class area, and a majority of the black men I know that are with black women(or women at all) are with woman ranging from thin to thick. They are not exclusively dating "thin" women, in the way Sheena has noted they are. From personal observations black men are more generous about weight, than white men. Black people are more generous about weight than white people. And black men tend to date women that are "thicker" or not the stereotypical "thin" woman more so than other races of men. Which is why I stated that I don't think that the same dating trends that apply to white men of higher income backgrounds apply to black men. Black people as a whole have very different ideas about weight.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 09-04-2012 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM

72 posts, read 87,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
This isn't true at all. You're outright lying
Someone please ban this troll for once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty