Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Well just like you..Im here because its an internet forum. And just like YOU..I can say what I think. And I think what you said was "utter nonsense"..because it was. How the h#ll can you know what other people have experienced?? Just because YOU have not experienced it, doesnt mean others havent. SO SHE CAN CLAIM IT BECAUSE SHE EXPERIENCED IT. GET IT??

So, based on that my opinion is YOUR opinion was utter nonsense and lacked common sense. And yeah, I think you should get over it

So, lets just agree to disagree eh? Or is that utter nonsense too..according to the Book Of Onglet?

Too bad.
Take a deep breath and step off the window ledge. She has never experienced people being offended by her weight and neither have you. It is a shame that my opinion freaks you out this much, but it isn't worth jumping over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,787 times
I don't know if offended is the right word to use...maybe that's the point of miscommunication.

It's not so much as people being offended, but rather about them seeing it as not being the norm and not understanding why a black woman would even prefer to be on the smaller/more fit side. If some who are fit haven't experienced that then that's great...but not everyone's experiences are the same. We can at least agree on that much.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
I get what the op was attempting to express though her language was a lil' dramatic. Black people have made comments about my weight. I was sitting on the stoop at my mother's house in Harlem eating a salad and someone shouted at me from a bike that I needed to eat a cheeseburger. Being vegetarian I haven't had a cheeseburger in 5 years, but if it's going to make me look like you I'll stick to my salad.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
So, had a fashion show this weekend and since it was the south and all the designers were black, about 85% of the models were black. There were a variety of body shapes and sizes, including the stereotypical type the OP mentions: thick with big butts, thighs, and boobs. But the featured designer, the one I walked for, used mostly tall, straight size models.

I was looking around at the various body types, and while all of us were thin, the thinnest by far were the black models. They didn't look unhealthy or unnatural, they just had very tiny frames, tinier than I've seen on any woman of another race that had their height. 31 and 32 inch hips on girls who are 5'8 and up, and not because they starve themselves but because they have extremely narrow hips. Just thought it was interesting.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm Black American and naturally a size 2. I however notice that people tend to laud thin Asian and White women, but seem to take offense when Black women are thin as well. It's almost like, they expect every black woman to have thick thighs, a big behind and huge breasts. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this general attitude towards Black women? Why is it that thin black women are shunned, while thin Asian and White women are viewed as prizes?
It's not. In the Caucasian community slimness not thickness ia valued. Also, within the African American AND the white communities, higher class individuals tend to value slimmer and more firm shapes.

I tend to see it more as a class issue than a race issue.

Get yourself around some well paid men - of any race - and you will be appreciated.

Being slim is a PLUS in the upscale community. AA men do seem to regard a voluptuous butt as a positive thing where as white men do not. White men seem more into breasts.

Either way, being slim is the acceptable body for well educated, upscale women.

The lower classes of ANY race seem to like big women.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's not. In the Caucasian community slimness not thickness ia valued. Also, within the African American AND the white communities, higher class individuals tend to value slimmer and more firm shapes.

Get yourself around some well paid men - of any race - and you will be appreciated.

Being slim is a PLUS in the upscale community. AA men do seem to regard a voluptuous butt as a positive thing where as white men do not. White men seem more into breasts.

a lot of white guys are into asses now. times are changing.

stop trying to turn this into a class issue. people like what they like.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

Nope,its neither.
I think its a generational thing.
Just look back,way back into Roman times....the various statues.
The ideal was small breasts,large hips and butts. In medieval times,the slim figure with a thick waist was in style.
Then Victorian times,the hourglass figure.
In the 1920's,the skinny,thin women were in again.
In the 50s,the hourglass again. Then came Twiggy.
Then came the 90',large boobs,no butt,and really thin(Pam Anderson) ..now I hear men say she is disgusting. She was all the rage in the 90's.
Presently?Kim K,Beyonce,etc.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

The op wants to know why thin is in for asians and whites, and is not in for blacks.

You quoted Sheena giving her opinion of an answer: it's a class thing, not a race thing.

I happen to agree: people in classier circles gravitate more toward slender and fit (notice, not thin or skinny), and people of less refinement tend to be less picky and will settle for slovenly and unfit.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Interesting and I agree. I wonder what the biological reason is for this?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I happen to agree: people in classier circles gravitate more toward slender and fit (notice, not thin or skinny), and people of less refinement tend to be less picky and will settle for slovenly and unfit.
I don't like this kind of language, and making classist remarks are not any better than making racist ones. Your definition of "slovenly and unfit" may be very different from someone else's. Plus I notice a lot of wealthier people tend to value being super slimness in women regardles of their level of fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty