Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times

Advertisements

[quote=nyanna;25882451]your post is very abusive.

That's my opinion. If you don't like it, then it's really just too bad.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am black, have been thin/fit my entire life, and have never had any of the problems discussed in this thread. I believe this is a roll call thread, with contrived problems to give people an excuse to post. NO ONE has eve been offended because I am black and fit. What utter nonsense.
I think the key thing with everyones experience is location.
I feel very large at 180 and 5ft 6in,and some people tell me I'm fat in the northeast.
In the south,they said I was too skinny and losing my shape? Wth?

But yeah,white women do it too. Come to think of it,eveyone does.
Even men trash women

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,153,184 times
Who said it was? I've seen really thin blacks and Hispanics both IRL and in the media.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:10 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Why invalidate her experiences just because it makes YOU uncomfortable?Not every black woman wants to play the "strong black woman" stereotype by pretending nothing ever bothers her and that everything in her life is fine and dandy. Not all of us are made of steel. We aren't allowed to express a wide range of emotions without the anti black woman mafia coming in and saying we are 'ridiculous' or throwing a 'pity party'..
Her experiences don't make me uncomfortable at all, what a silly thing to say. Furthermore I am not a "strong black woman" either. I am a black woman with healthy, normal self-esteem... believe it or not we do exist!

I decided to put my opinion on this thread because that is the point of an internet forum. If you don't like it, scroll on past me. Day in and day out you complain about your skin color. You aren't in any position to know what is a normal expression of emotions and what isn't.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-31-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
OMG people. Relax. People can post whatever question they want if that is something they truly are interested in hearing opinions about. If you thought the topic of the thread was "utter nonsense" then why even bother to read it in the first place??

<snip>
And my opinion is that it is utter nonsense to claim that people are offended by fit black women. When one solicits opinions, sometimes it isn't an opinion that is expected. That is what an internet forum is all about, if you don't like it, why are you here?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
No..but they have the opposite problem. White women are the largest group with anorexia and bulimia. They have pressure to be skinny...while other groups have pressure to be "womanly".

White women in US with beyonce or shakira figures are rarely celebrated...it's only the slim ones with little or no muscle definition. It must suck to be one of the people who constantly see any little bit of extra meet on them as fat.
Being thin is not as acceptable in the US as it once was, people here are fatter than anywhere else and it's becoming the norm. Plenty of bigger white women are celebrated (Jessica Biel anyone?) Thin women are automatically accused of having an eating disorder. It's also acceptable to use terms like "skinny b****" but don't dare say something negative about an overweight woman ("real women have curves"). White women undoubtedly do have the highest number of eating disorders, but just because a white woman is thin does NOT mean it's due to bulimia or anorexia. I'm white, 5'7 size 0-2, and I think I look totally average but people will gasp at me and say all kinds of rude things about my weight. Combination of balanced diet, exercise, and awesome genes.

OP don't listen to those morons. Be who you want and who makes you happy.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Jessica Biel is NOT a bigger women. She has a big butt but is probably a size 6

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Being thin is not as acceptable in the US as it once was, people here are fatter than anywhere else and it's becoming the norm. Plenty of bigger white women are celebrated (Jessica Biel anyone?) Thin women are automatically accused of having an eating disorder. It's also acceptable to use terms like "skinny b****" but don't dare say something negative about an overweight woman ("real women have curves"). White women undoubtedly do have the highest number of eating disorders, but just because a white woman is thin does NOT mean it's due to bulimia or anorexia. I'm white, 5'7 size 0-2, and I think I look totally average but people will gasp at me and say all kinds of rude things about my weight. Combination of balanced diet, exercise, and awesome genes.

OP don't listen to those morons. Be who you want and who makes you happy.
Jessica Biel is bigger? What planet are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Jessica Biel is NOT a bigger women. She has a big butt but is probably a size 6
I would be shocked if she was even a 6. I was thinking 4. She just looks "huge" next to the zeros. And well you know has a bigger butt than most of the other starlets.

She has one of my favorite celebrity bodies! I love that she has muscles!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Do people really comment on y'all's bodies that much? Like, strangers? Or friends and family?

90% of the time when another person comments on my body, it's to say I have a lovely figure or something along those lines. Sometimes people will simply state "You're so skinny!" but I think usually mean it as a compliment.

Oh, sure, I have a handful of incidents when someone has thrown out the word "anorexic" or similar accusations, but those are few and far between. Do people say these sorts of things to all of y'all that often, or do you just remember those few rude comments more vividly than the positive?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Do people really comment on y'all's bodies that much? Like, strangers? Or friends and family?

90% of the time when another person comments on my body, it's to say I have a lovely figure or something along those lines. Sometimes people will simply state "You're so skinny!" but I think usually mean it as a compliment.

Oh, sure, I have a handful of incidents when someone has thrown out the word "anorexic" or similar accusations, but those are few and far between. Do people say these sorts of things to all of y'all that often, or do you just remember those few rude comments more vividly than the positive?

I don't know who this is directed to, but I'll answer.

During my weightloss journey people would comment. Now, it normally happens when I run into someone I haven't seen in a long time (not often). And you overhear comments when you walk past people. I have been with friends and will overhear someone say, "she is so skinny" (referring to my friend)etc.

And whenever we have a family get-together, someone will comment as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty