Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

I too object to the Chico's comment. Why? Because Chico's was the first stock I ever bought (which then split and doubled and split again and . . . let's just say it was a good buy).

Why did I buy Chico's stock in the first place? Because I, in my 40's, and my teenaged daughter, and my mother, and apparently the same in many other families, based on the crowds I saw every time I went in, could ALL find something suitable and loved at Chico's.

I'm also on the "Gee, I wish I could be around to see these kids in 40 years when reality sets in" wagon. THEN you can decide what "women of a certain age" should be wearing.

I do color my hair. I've been coloring my hair for 47 years, why would I stop now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM

301 posts, read 824,243 times
TracySam - Agreed! I think as we get older we should follow the "rule of one". Allow yourself one item to "pop" - a statement necklace, animal print bag, bunch of metallic bangles, for example - then you won't look like your trying too hard.

Gotta say I love the statement necklaces from Chico's, and I have quite a few, but it's tricky to wear them. Wrapping 6 or 7 around one's neck usually only works in the catalog, and on a catalog model.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Cool vintage jewelry and good pieces like your describe can look really good. But to just buy costume pieces from Chico's (like in the 2 bottom Chico's pics) or any other clothing store, just to wrap 6 or 7 around one's neck just doesn't say "class" to me.
Me either, generally speaking. But there's a difference between what looks "classy" at different ages. I guess what I'm saying is that someone can dress like a fifty - or an eighty - year old woman, and still dress in a classy manner.

Classy looks are timeless and ageless. Sort of like these looks, in my opinion:

1920s Fancy Dress

Strands of Pearls

Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
I just turned 44 and am not quite ready for Chico's yet. There might be a few things I would wear, but I am sorry -- I do consider it a store for "older women." Maybe I am in denial that I am an older woman now? I wear capris all spring/summer/fall if I can swing it.

I find it very hard to find clothes for my age range -- most stores are for those 25 and younger, or "older women", CJ Banks, Chico's, etc.

My mother is 68 and wears combat boots. Maybe I get my denial from her.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM

TexasHorseLady,
I find it interesting that Chico's survived and thrived, but Talbots in is trouble. I never find anything in Talbots that I like, but my mother-in-law does. (She's 89 and a lovely woman with a beautifully classic sense of style.) I just don't think they adapted to the changing market like Chico's did.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And a lot higher percentage of them will be morbidly obese too. Don't leave that out! Those muffin tops they're already sporting are going to balloon up - they have no idea what they're in for!

My father has always been a very stylish dresser and is a very good looking man - always has been. He is now 74 and can still put on the dog and look like a million bucks. But a few years ago he called me and said, "Hey, listen to what I just wore to the store," and proceeded to tell me about some shorts, a Willie Nelson t shirt, gray socks and some sort of loafers - I mean, the man KNEW it looked bad! I was cracking up laughing, even trying to imagine him in this getup -with his scrawny white legs which are now hairless.

He told me, "Well, it's hot and I was out working in the yard and needed something. And it suddenly occurred to me that ask myself why I was considering changing when I need to come right back and finish the job - and I realized that most of the time, I'm dressing to impress OTHERS. I realized that I don't give a DAMN what anyone else thinks about my clothes. I'll go out in public in anything that's comfortable to me and if someone wants to call me an old man, well what do I care? I AM an old man!"

Preach it, dad.
Geezers-Я-Us! You go Dad!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM

lawmom,
I'm over 60 and will admit that I still wear my brightly printed Doc Martens in the winter! I think Christopher Banks is a great example of a store where over half their clothes whisper "old lady" to me when I walk in - so I don't walk in!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I was watching a British series the other day (Bramwell - I really recommend it by the way!), set in Victorian London, and I was THRILLED to see the EXACT SAME pearl choker that I bought at a resale shop one time - I knew it was old and probably dated to the 1920s AT LEAST but to see it on a set which portrayed the 1890s really made me hope it is from that era.

I mean, it was identical. I ought to post a photo of it. It's very unique.

I agree about the statement pieces by the way - pick one and go with it. But I LOVE necklaces that have multiple long strands and will mix and match them in a minute - for a casual, funky look. If I do that though, I take it REAL easy on the earrings (simple studs) and do NOT wear bracelets or scarves either - just the necklaces. Actually come to think of it, this only looks good with a single color shirt (simple turtleneck or V neck) and black pants or jeans...

Gotta be careful with the bling.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I am 38 and I found a very nice shirt from Talbots. I had to buy it on super clearance to afford it though. Has no sleeves and cost around 60 dollars.

Maybe that is why its in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
TexasHorseLady,
I find it interesting that Chico's survived and thrived, but Talbots in is trouble. I never find anything in Talbots that I like, but my mother-in-law does. (She's 89 and a lovely woman with a beautifully classic sense of style.) I just don't think they adapted to the changing market like Chico's did.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Chico's clothes.

I don't mean plain black pants or a sweater. I am talking about those big bold patterned flowy shirts that may or may not look like they've been bedazzled. That screams old lady to me.
I'm 62 and I couldn't agree more. Those baggy tops scream 'Maude' as in 1970s sitcom tv.

Also, I was on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard the other day, the ferry was full of senior citizens, and the hip older ladies had either short, short, spiky hair or long artistic dos. The in-between, long-short look was reminiscent of bobs and rollers and was very old lady-ish. Speaking of bobs, I hate that every-hair-in-place look. It's dull. If your face is 60ish then you need a contemporary hairstyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty